Commuter Hell

Home of the traffic rant.
ZackP

Re: Commuter Hell

Post by ZackP »

tw1nm3t3or wrote:This is a huge problem. A 10 to 15 minute drive which takes an hour. Let's talk about the issues one being that back road where everyone takes which CAUSES the traffic jams. That road needs to be closed it has done nothing but problems since it opened both entering AND leaving Kelowna.

Actually the back roads relive stress off the main highway, this is why merging lanes exist. There just needs to be a way to stop traffic from doing complete stops. If those back roads were not there the traffic would be 10x worse think of all the extra cars on the main road.
Caroline12345

Post by Caroline12345 »

We recently moved to Kelowna, and had occasion last week to cross the bridge from W.Kelowna to the city at about 9:30 am. (for the first time at that hour and direction). We were astounded at the backup of traffic, and wait time! We actually thought there had been a vehicle accident up ahead or road work being done, but soon found out otherwise. We were not in a rush, but even so, it was frustrating to wait so long. I felt bad for all of those people who were on their way to work, that they have to deal with that stalled traffic every weekday?! I can't imagine!
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

Kelowna is one of the fastest growing cities in Canada & is one of the most popular tourist destinations in Canada. I wonder how they didn't see this coming.
binky11
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by binky11 »

I couldn't agree with you more tw1 It is indeed the merging at the bottom of bridge hill that is causing this problem. How stupid does the mayor think we are, that this is the norm for this time of year? I got stuck in in last Tuesday and that was at 9:20 AM.
People who have been commuting from Westbank to Kelowna daily for work know this is NOT the norm. I'm wondering, how long has that merge from Cambell Rd onto the bridge been there?
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Frisk wrote:Kelowna is one of the fastest growing cities in Canada & is one of the most popular tourist destinations in Canada. I wonder how they didn't see this coming.

Easily no one at MOTI has any idea what having future vision is, they wait until it's long past being a problem. Then have a study done.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

People would rather buy or rent on the west side than Kelowna because it is cheaper. When did they think the commute was going to eclipse their savings? I really don't have much sympathy. Start earlier in the day and come home earlier or very late, go have a beer.
Waste not
Triple 6

Post by Triple 6 »

Mayor McCheese. Idiot. If more people took the bus. Does he take the bus? Nope. Because the schedule is freaking ridiculous.
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." -- Josh Billings
binky11
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by binky11 »

Triple 6 wrote:Mayor McCheese. Idiot. If more people took the bus. Does he take the bus? Nope. Because the schedule is freaking ridiculous.

Hey trip! You are from the Westside. Do you know how long that merge just before the bridge has been in place? Going from the west side to Kelowna?
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Sneena has been connected to it since the overpass went up at Westside Road. People from Campbell have always been able to access the bridge there, and access to Campbell was just an exit at the mid-point of bridge hill. I'm not sure how long the Sneena Sneak has been en vogue.
Last edited by kgcayenne on Jun 16th, 2017, 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Triple 6

Post by Triple 6 »

binky11 wrote:
Triple 6 wrote:Mayor McCheese. Idiot. If more people took the bus. Does he take the bus? Nope. Because the schedule is freaking ridiculous.

Hey trip! You are from the Westside. Do you know how long that merge just before the bridge has been in place? Going from the west side to Kelowna?

it's been over 3 years now.
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." -- Josh Billings
Triple 6

Post by Triple 6 »

Grandan wrote:People would rather buy or rent on the west side than Kelowna because it is cheaper. When did they think the commute was going to eclipse their savings? I really don't have much sympathy. Start earlier in the day and come home earlier or very late, go have a beer.

Yes, that is why I moved to the Westside. *rolls eyes* over 18 years ago. :up:
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Google Street View shows that the Sneena Sneak artery was installed in fall 2014. It was in full swing in 2015 when we moved over there.
neilsimon
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by neilsimon »

Commuting from West Kelowna isn't too bad. It's bad this year, because of greater congestion on Harvey, which I suspect is due to other road works, and an increase in traffic in general.

The big problem is that as West Kelowna traffic increases, the traffic lights around downtown Kelowna are going to be a bigger and bigger problem. They need to go. Without them, the traffic would flow quite well actually.

When we were looking for a place to move to in and around Kelowna, we picked West Kelowna for a number of reasons, not least of which was affordability. The other place we looked was Mission and Kettle Valley areas. In the end, I figured that commute times would be similar and West Kelowna offered a lot for our budget.

It usually takes me less than 15 minutes to commute to downtown Kelowna, though these days it can be a bit more. I usually avoid traffic as much as possible.

The merge on the west end of the bridge has been there for years and despite some people's opinions, it is not really the cause of the traffic problems. It should be about twice as long though. As above, the traffic lights downtown are the problem. There is absolutely no need for the lights at Abbott St. The lights on Ellis St should be removed and a flyover or underpass should be built at the Water/Pandosy junction. A major highway should have as few lights as possible.

Additionally, West Kelowna is large enough that they should be working towards building more commercial and industrial property out here and encouraging people who live in West Kelowna to work here too.
binky11
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by binky11 »

Well I guess if that merge has been there for three years, it isn't the main factor. I have only been on the Westside for two years but it sure wasn't this bad last year. They sure need to do something. Not just suck it up as " normal" as the mayor suggested.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Seriously, the Sneena workaround is absolutely a problem. Between Hudson/Westlake, the right lane moves faster than the left. However, once you get to where you are descending bridge hill, the right lane backs up as people have to hammer the brakes to let the Sneeners in. Just ask anyone who lives down Campbell Rd how impossible it is to get into the roundabout.
edited to add: Oh, and then a number of them slow things further as they have the compulsion to immediately get into the left lane. Things move smoother until after the crest of the bridge itself on account of the Abbot traffic light (which really should be eliminated altogether for the northbound traffic)
Last edited by kgcayenne on Jun 16th, 2017, 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”