"New Highway" such a bad design no pull over spots

Home of the traffic rant.
TheBoss
Fledgling

"New Highway" such a bad design no pull over spots

Post by TheBoss »

Can anyone answer why there isn't any spots to safely pull over on that highway?

A couple weeks ago i had some car issues coming back from kelowna. Alternator crapped out and battery went dead enough that the car would barely run. My sister was with me and her 3yo kid, don't want to pull off the side of the highway and run the risk of being hit. So i limped my car just after the climb to the Oyama turn off (old highway). A highway should be designed with enough room to safely pull over to do some light work IE spare tire, check a weird noise etc.

Why the highway was approved with out those safety features is beyond me. This shows that the MOT doesn't care about the safety of the general public on the roads. When i drove the new highway i noticed many flaws right away IE The merge lane from Oyama onto the highway was way to short to safely merge up to 90-100 that was fixed after many complaints or the signage issues.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Re: "New Highway" such a bad design no pull over spots

Post by dirtybiker »

I have no definitive answer as to why there are no pull-outs.

As far as the acceleration lanes at either end of Pelmewash Way, they work just fine
as is, I use them often, even several time a day, both directions.

The only times I have had an issue, it is not with the lanes or their design, it is
with the incompetent and inept driver of a vehicle ahead of me.

Clue: Acceleration Lane.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Not enough passing lanes and pull outs big enough for RV's and/or trucks.

When I hear about a head on collision on a Hwy the first thing that pops into my mind is someone trying to pass. They follow too close and can't see down the road far enough to do it safely.

The biggest reason they don't make the Hwy's safer is "Money"!
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Bsuds wrote:
When I hear about a head on collision on a Hwy the first thing that pops into my mind is someone trying to pass. They follow too close and can't see down the road far enough to do it safely.

Bang On !

One needs to follow approx. 2 vehicle lengths of the vehicle they wish to pass.
This gives sight line and acceleration space so one can be up to passing speeds
before pulling out.

I do think that there should be fairly large pullouts at the summits at either end.
This gives opportunity for vehicle checks before decent. or just a break point
for some fantastic views.
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

TheBoss wrote:Can anyone answer why there isn't any spots to safely pull over on that highway?

A couple weeks ago i had some car issues coming back from kelowna. Alternator crapped out and battery went dead enough that the car would barely run. My sister was with me and her 3yo kid, don't want to pull off the side of the highway and run the risk of being hit. So i limped my car just after the climb to the Oyama turn off (old highway). A highway should be designed with enough room to safely pull over to do some light work IE spare tire, check a weird noise etc.

Why the highway was approved with out those safety features is beyond me. This shows that the MOT doesn't care about the safety of the general public on the roads. When i drove the new highway i noticed many flaws right away IE The merge lane from Oyama onto the highway was way to short to safely merge up to 90-100 that was fixed after many complaints or the signage issues.

If I remember right, the turnoff for Oyama heading north comes up pretty fast if you're travelling around 100 and it's a very aggressive right hook where most drivers who aren't familiar with it (tourists/visitors) would be caught out decelerating and turning at the same time. A bit too much for some drivers to handle.....
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

I find these roads seem to be built for an excellent driver, with the best maneuverable vehicle and a good knowledge of the area. Trouble is this is very often not the case. This is a huge tourist area and that should be taken into consideration. They should actually be built for the worst cases scenario, but I guess the donation of a few lives is not a big deal to some. It's an engineering program and anyone who follows my posts knows my opinion of most engineers. I have had a few conversations with my son the engineer about that subject, LOL.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Smurf wrote:I find these roads seem to be built for an excellent driver, with the best maneuverable vehicle and a good knowledge of the area.

This is true, and something I have overlooked.

I guess everything should be dumbed down to the lowest common denominator that
for whatever reason was "gifted" a licence.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

I certainly agree with "gifted" as I truly don't see how many of the drivers on the road ever earned it.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

Fix the attitude of drivers and most of your problems go away.
Getting a drivers license these days IS a pain in the rear compared to what people over say 40 yrs old+ had to endure, like maybe 60 day beginners license. Not to mention the "younger" population are more open to getting lessons etc.
So It's not been gifted, the knowledge IS there - many are just ignorant me me me *bleep*.

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”