Speed Cameras

Home of the traffic rant.
hasbean

Re: Speed Cameras

Post by hasbean »

I believe speed cameras should be used in high accident areas . The camera should be set at 25 % over the posted speed . So 80 x 25 % = (80 +20 = 100 ). This would make it more acceptable to the ones that are worried about "cash grabs " Of course the public would not have this knowledge . For example Westside Road , The speed camera would be located / rotated at different locations to "police " the whole highway . There would be a base fine plus additional fines for exceeding the allowance .
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

Like I've said through this thread, mostly I can be persuaded for reasonability. What I can't be persuaded for are those that can not accept inherent risk and want some one else, ie gov't, to bubble wrap them.
Would so rather be over educated that a knuckle dragging Neanderthal bereft of critical thought and imagination. Although in the case of Neanderthals, that's quite the insult.
neilsimon
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by neilsimon »

hasbean wrote:I believe speed cameras should be used in high accident areas .

I would generally agree, especially if accident rate (per km driven) and severity of the accidents is taken into account. Parking lots have lots of accidents (probably one of the worst places for them) but the results are rarely serious.
The camera should be set at 25 % over the posted speed . So 80 x 25 % = (80 +20 = 100 ).

If in a high severe accident rate area, that would be reasonable. In such areas, the accident rate and severity should be used to inform the speed limit and enforcement should be applied where necessary. Additionally, the road should be re-engineered to be safer and then the limits/cameras changed to match the new conditions. Poor road engineering is a problem which we should not ignore.
This would make it more acceptable to the ones that are worried about "cash grabs " Of course the public would not have this knowledge . For example Westside Road , The speed camera would be located / rotated at different locations to "police " the whole highway . There would be a base fine plus additional fines for exceeding the allowance .

Does the Westside Road have a very high accident rate (per km driven) and are they particularly severe there?
kaitlyn

Post by kaitlyn »

The floating bridge in Kelowna is like an autobahn.
The posted speed is rarely adhered to.
The province should have cameras installed on. this bridge and people ticketed for speeding......and heavier fines
It would definitely pay for the cost of running the camera in a few days.
There is no need for my anxiety level to rise when i know crossing the bridge is imminent
There is going to be a very serious accident that will take lives if nothing is done.
Vancouver has toll cameras on their bridges and if they can do that , we can have speed cameras on ours.
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

If one out of 20 cars is doing 60 or VERY close and the rest 70-80...........you raise the limits to be realistic with the average flow of traffic. Same goes for 33 up to Black Mountain........60 is ridiculous, especially when you turn off 33 onto Springfield Road and this narrow 2-lane road is........surprise.......60 also. MONEY-GRAB!

Now........lets hear the usual crying from the do-gooders that always say........" if you raise it, they will only go faster yet". Studies have proven that "wives tale" wrong. I will add that there will be a LOT fewer cars "flying" by you.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

lesliepaul wrote:If one out of 20 cars is doing 60 or VERY close and the rest 70-80...........you raise the limits to be realistic with the average flow of traffic. Same goes for 33 up to Black Mountain........60 is ridiculous, especially when you turn off 33 onto Springfield Road and this narrow 2-lane road is........surprise.......60 also. MONEY-GRAB!

Now........lets hear the usual crying from the do-gooders that always say........" if you raise it, they will only go faster yet". Studies have proven that "wives tale" wrong. I will add that there will be a LOT fewer cars "flying" by you.

I could be wrong here, you would have to take it up with MOTI. I believe the reason for that 60 Km/per Hr speed limit is because of the amount of driveways (even though some are long) connected to Hwy 33 along that stretch (each street/road has a stop sign... driveways don't).
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”