Speed Cameras

Home of the traffic rant.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Speed Cameras

Post by the truth »

LTD wrote:its a cash grab plain and simple and I'm okay with the Idaho stop bs as long I can do it in my car to :smt045

if people are not speeding or running red lights, --breaking the law--- then they will not get a ticket, so how is this a cash grab? it you do not break the law you will not get a ticket :smt045
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

maybe you guys should move to Europe then, just remember they think driving on the wrong side of the road makes sense to :up:
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

cameras should be at every intersection imo to many goofs out there speed and will only understand fines and or jail time, that simple , if your not speeding why care's
Last edited by the truth on Jul 1st, 2017, 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

the truth wrote:
LTD wrote:its a cash grab plain and simple and I'm okay with the Idaho stop bs as long I can do it in my car to :smt045

if people are not speeding or running red lights, --breaking the law--- then they will not get a ticket, so how is this a cash grab? it you do not break the law you will not get a ticket :smt045

when we had photo radar I once got a ticket because the guy beside me that was passing me was speeding I also got one because they loved to put it right where youre slowing because of a speed change 60 down to 50 horsepuckey all of it if you guys love it so much move to Europe
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

If the tech is well calibrated and accurate, it's a no brainer.

You hear the argument that police don't pull people over on certain roads due to safety issues, fair enough.
So here's a fix.
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

The only argument for is-If you don't speed you're not breaking the law.

Not sure what back water roads you guys are driving on but everyone speeds, even the cops.

I listed some problems with it but that's the only retort is the law is the law. Black and white in a world of grey.

Kelowna has red light cameras. No problem from me there, I don't run red lights.
I might even be persuaded for them if they were set at the 40k excessive mark because there's no reason to speed that fast.
Even in school zones I might be persuaded with notice signs at either end.

But if you try to tell me you've never sped to pass (because one has to) or you don't speed occasionally to keep up with traffic, flat out lying.

Order at all costs. Sounds like a dictator ship to me.
And I have bubble wrap for sale at a reasonable price.
Would so rather be over educated that a knuckle dragging Neanderthal bereft of critical thought and imagination. Although in the case of Neanderthals, that's quite the insult.
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

the truth wrote:
What_the wrote:And it takes away officer discretion. Resounding no from me.

shocker---not--

When Wayne and Garth went out of fashion 20 years ago, so did the word not
Would so rather be over educated that a knuckle dragging Neanderthal bereft of critical thought and imagination. Although in the case of Neanderthals, that's quite the insult.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

jimmy4321 wrote:If the tech is well calibrated and accurate, it's a no brainer.

You hear the argument that police don't pull people over on certain roads due to safety issues, fair enough.
So here's a fix.

Our bridge is a perfect example of what you just described. People know they can't pull you over so it's become the Okanagan autobahn. A speed camera would have an immediate impact there.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
johnny24
Board Meister

Post by johnny24 »

jimmy4321 wrote:Why does a guy driving 30 or 40km/h over the speed limit need notice that there's a photo radar?

Because it would be nice if they slowed down?
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

the bridge is also a perfect example of how unsafe that can be anytime the cops set up people come over the rise heading to west Kelowna and nail the brakes then you get the chain reaction and usually a rear ender, interrupting the smooth consistent flow of traffic with cameras is not a good idea they heve em in Australia and their unsafe there to
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

Not convinced? You're probably right....

Increase in rear enders:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/ct-red-li ... story.html

Useful in high rate accident zones:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0012902/

Safer crashes? (Aus)

http://www.caradvice.com.au/332771/are- ... s-say-yes/

Even the BMJ is unconvinced:

http://www.bmj.com/content/330/7487/331
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

It is a proven fact that the BEST deterrent to get traffic to slow down and move more safely is a MARKED police car..........plain and simple. If the police want to hide and use unmarked (ghost) vehicles, then their main concern is NOT SAFETY, it is to extort money. Do not get me wrong here, I have witnessed complete idiots blow by (probably texting) marked police cars and they got what they deserved but the normal reaction is to "check your speed"..........I know I do.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

for the most part if you're 10 over or going with the flow of traffic there's no issue but photo radar doesn't work that way especially when you're at the head of the pack
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

What_the wrote:
Not sure what back water roads you guys are driving on but everyone speeds, even the cops.

Not the self appointed road Gods of Castanet - they follow the law to the "T" - lmao lol
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

LTD wrote:for the most part if you're 10 over or going with the flow of traffic there's no issue but photo radar doesn't work that way especially when you're at the head of the pack

Edmonton has been in a lot of hot water with this - people were being ticketed for going just a few clicks over the limit and the city's revenue jumped by 10s of millions of dollars

http://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4110777
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”