Speed Cameras

Home of the traffic rant.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Speed Cameras

Post by GordonH »

^^^ I guess it all comes down to how stiff the fines are, some areas of Europe are not cheap on traffic fines.

Added: many of the traffic fines in BC are far to low, should be raised.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

GordonH wrote:^^^ if you're okay with more tax dollars spent on having more officers on traffic patrol, I would not have problem with that either.

I'm not ok with it actually. Honest to gods I'd rather those officers be tasked with catching pedophiles online. No matter how many officers we put on the road collisions will happen. Why? Because most crashes happen from mistakes as no-one wants to be involved in one, criminal or not. The fact is every time we get behind the wheel our lives are risked; it's inherent, velocity and sudden stops (G forces) are what cause damage to the body.

While driving I accept these consequences and do my utmost best to prevent them. I don't want to be involved in a collision and I know that an officer cannot prevent that in any circumstance. IMO wanting more officers is akin to bubble wrap.
Would so rather be over educated that a knuckle dragging Neanderthal bereft of critical thought and imagination. Although in the case of Neanderthals, that's quite the insult.
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

Bsuds wrote:
What_the wrote:Makes no sense to correct your dog for bad behavior 3 weeks after the fact.

Exactly, but a Dog has no idea 3 weeks later what he is being punished for. Hopefully a driver is smart enough to know why he is being punished. (some on here might have a hard time figuring out why)

As to it not changing peoples behaviors then I suggest that those who think that are mistaken. After driving with a professional driver in Holland I know from his comments when he pointed out the cameras to us that it slows people down.

Well, as smart as dogs are, there's some among us that aren't much smarter. No matter how much or how hard they're "beat", they still won't get it.

And you're saying the same thing that Neil Simon and myself have said in the latter part of your post.
Would so rather be over educated that a knuckle dragging Neanderthal bereft of critical thought and imagination. Although in the case of Neanderthals, that's quite the insult.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:^^^ if you're okay with more tax dollars spent on having more officers on traffic patrol, I would not have problem with that either.

What_the wrote:I'm not ok with it actually. Honest to gods I'd rather those officers be tasked with catching pedophiles online. No matter how many officers we put on the road collisions will happen. Why? Because most crashes happen from mistakes as no-one wants to be involved in one, criminal or not. The fact is every time we get behind the wheel our lives are risked; it's inherent, velocity and sudden stops (G forces) are what cause damage to the body.

While driving I accept these consequences and do my utmost best to prevent them. I don't want to be involved in a collision and I know that an officer cannot prevent that in any circumstance. IMO wanting more officers is akin to bubble wrap.

Its unfortunate that our court system tends to give pedophiles more often then not a slap on the wrist, meanwhile there victims have life long issues. Thats not right either

I've had family & friends killed(imo murdered) by dumb :cuss: behind the wheel of vehicle.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

GordonH wrote:^^^ I guess it all comes down to how stiff the fines are, some areas of Europe are not cheap on traffic fines.

Added: many of the traffic fines in BC are far to low, should be raised.

As much as it grinds my gears, there's truth to this. I never risk an excessive ticket, when I was 20 and full of *bleep* and vinegar, totally did. Those days are long gone and would love to have them back. I digress.

Think of that spot heading north leaving Summerland, 4 lanes and it can easily handle 120 and Damn near everyone does but until from 70 to 80 to 100 its easy to go above the 40k excessive mark. I'm not willing to trade near $500 fine and 7 day impound for that.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

What_the wrote:As much as it grinds my gears, there's truth to this. I never risk an excessive ticket, when I was 20 and full of *bleep* and vinegar, totally did. Those days are long gone and would love to have them back. I digress.

Think of that spot heading north leaving Summerland, 4 lanes and it can easily handle 120 and Damn near everyone does but until from 70 to 80 to 100 its easy to go above the 40k excessive mark. I'm not willing to trade near $500 fine and 7 day impound for that.

You can do that legally by going to Oliver and blow the head right off your engine if you want.
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

Not sure what you mean Gordon. I'm in Oliver right now lol. Family here and have traveled that track more than I have $
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

What_the wrote:Not sure what you mean Gordon. I'm in Oliver right now lol. Family here and have traveled that track more than I have $

Not my problem, those who want to speed take it to a track not the highway.
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

Ohhh. Misunderstand ing. I meant the track or course to a destination... I'm not being clear lol. The road from Oliver to Kelowna.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

I really couldn't care less, but if they do maybe they should introduce some law that makes it illegal to an announce location of photo radar on the radio with stiff penalties.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

jimmy4321 wrote:I really couldn't care less, but if they do maybe they should introduce some law that makes it illegal to an announce location of photo radar on the radio with stiff penalties.

Yes and no. To me the whole point is to slow speeders. Anything that works is good.

A smart Cop would call fake radar locations in to a radio station! lol
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

jimmy4321 wrote:I really couldn't care less, but if they do maybe they should introduce some law that makes it illegal to an announce location of photo radar on the radio with stiff penalties.

Why? Wouldn't announcing radar locations help slow people down? Isn't that the goal - to get people to slow down?

Unless of course, it's really just about the revenue.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

If it's illegal than who cares if it's a cash grab?
Why does a guy driving 30 or 40km/h over the speed limit need notice that there's a photo radar?
Would you object to one in school zones?
Why do people think the the whole cat & mouse thing is some given right?
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

What_the wrote:And it takes away officer discretion. Resounding no from me.

shocker---not--
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

Bsuds wrote:https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/200730/Spycams-to-eye-speeders

They have had these in Europe for years. (Netherlands for sure). I think they are a good idea and we should have them everywhere.
Another good use for cameras would be at intersections to catch red light runners and idiots on their cell phones.

agree 100%
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”