Keep right, for safety's sake

Home of the traffic rant.
neilsimon
Generalissimo Postalot

Keep right, for safety's sake

Post by neilsimon »

Lots of people still don't get this, but one should keep right except to pass or turn left and while this is only the law on roads above 60km/h (IIRC), it's still safer and better driving to treat all but the right lane as an overtaking lanes unless the traffic is crawling. Here is a quick video on why:

I often hear arguments that people who are doing the speed limit shouldn't have to move over, or since it is technically not illegal in 60km/h zones, that it is okay to ride in the overtaking/left lanes, but just because something isn't technically illegal doesn't mean that it is good safe driving. One of the worst offending roads and much more dangerous for it is the William R. Bennet Bridge. If people kept right, others wouldn't pass on the right, making the whole experience much safer.
lightspeed
Guru

Re: Keep right, for safety's sake

Post by lightspeed »

Check the MVA.

It's still illegal to lane hog left if you're doing the speed limit.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
spooker

Post by spooker »

If you know how to drive correctly you will automatically use the right lane to drive, left to pass ... it is a safety issue because people get annoyed and then make stupid decisions to get around ... while Europe could have someone going along 60kph faster than the rest of traffic legally that becomes a collision waiting to happen ... over here that likely won't happen unless someone is going 60kph over the limit in the first place and trying to beat the lane-hogging driver to winning the "idiot driver" award

Wouldn't it be nice if we all acknowledge that there are idiots on the road, try not to be one, and finally just drive safely?
OffRoad
Übergod

Post by OffRoad »

lightspeed wrote:Check the MVA.

It's still illegal to lane hog left if you're doing the speed limit.

Check here:
http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/transportation/driving-and-cycling/road-safety-rules-and-consequences/keep-right/keep-right-faqs
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

But, but, but ... if I'm doing the speedlimit then no one should be passing me anyways because they're the evil ones so there's no reason I shouldn't have to move over ... blah, blah, blah.

The worst offenders are the ones in the middle lane of a 3 lane highway, Keep right expect to pass means keep right, not halfway right.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”