Springfield Speedway

Home of the traffic rant.

Springfield Speedway

Postby hollymonster » Jul 12th, 2017, 2:45 pm

Just curious......is anyone else who lives on Springfield, say, from the Mall to Hwy.33, just about fed up with the idiots who feel it's their personal speedway? I've been there almost 15 yrs and have seen police speed checks three times, once was on a Sunday morning for crying out loud..... Are they just waiting for a fatality before something takes place to slow everyone down. While talking with city hall, I was told that they were thinking of using traffic calming tactics, or round a bouts at all intersections, then in the same phone call, he said that they didn't want to interrupt the traffic flow......well you can't have it both ways. I'm at a loss as to what to do next or who to talk to, so wanted to hear from others in my area who feel the same way.......
hollymonster

Liked in: 0 post

Re: Springfield Speedway

Postby spooker » Jul 12th, 2017, 5:59 pm

I don't live on Springfield but I use it for getting around a lot so I'm very familiar with it ... I'm always surprised at how many people ignored the "Ride the Wave" signage and would get themselves stopped by going too fast between Ziprick and Hollywood ...

We added speed humps to our street a few years ago and while it slows people down at the bumps there are the trucks who fly over because they can or the noise of the quick brake when people realize what they're going to do to their undercarriage ... and it still doesn't do anything after the final hump when people accelerate to the stop sign ...

I'm at a loss as to what can be done other than install an automated spike strip if you're too fast ...
--
Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. -- Plato

hollymonster likes this post.
spooker
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 469 posts

Postby GordonH » Jul 12th, 2017, 6:43 pm

Does not surprise me, that stretch of Springfield has always been speed alley. Maybe this area would be a perfect test for the cameras mentioned in this thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=73336
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 5599 posts
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby Jflem1983 » Jul 12th, 2017, 7:04 pm

Lol blame the city. It's one of about 3 stretched of road one can speed up on . If there are not so many lights slowing people down traffic flows and people won t speed so much . I live on a bust street where people speed recklessly as well .
We don't reach for handouts we reach for those who are down . "Garth Brooks "

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Jflem1983
Übergod

Liked in: 952 posts

Postby vegas1500 » Jul 12th, 2017, 7:23 pm

Speaking from a similar situation keep calling the police and lodging complaints about speeding cars. Have all your neighbors do the same. We were successful in getting some enforcement to our "trouble zones".

spooker likes this post.
vegas1500
Board Meister

Liked in: 792 posts

Postby Dizzy1 » Jul 13th, 2017, 1:14 am

spooker wrote:I don't live on Springfield but I use it for getting around a lot so I'm very familiar with it ... I'm always surprised at how many people ignored the "Ride the Wave" signage and would get themselves stopped by going too fast between Ziprick and Hollywood ...

I have yet once to actually make the "Ride The Wave" doing the speed limit with out hitting almost every red light. Going above the speed limit - I almost make it every time.

Actually time the lights to the speed limit and you've solved a big part of the problem.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.

2 people like this post.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 4436 posts

Postby LANDM » Jul 13th, 2017, 5:27 am

You can also "ride the wave" by doing 87km/hr....works great. :biggrin:
LANDM
Guru

Liked in: 2350 posts

Postby TreeGuy » Jul 13th, 2017, 5:47 am

I'm fed up with traffic in general. Out for a walk last night with Mrs. Treeuy and this idiot in one of these rice rocket cars with a fart can goes screaming by us on Elliott Rd. It's a 50 zone, he was doing like 80. I'm tired of the recklessness and the noise that comes with it.

2 people like this post.
TreeGuy
Übergod

Liked in: 925 posts

Postby DarkMagna » Jul 13th, 2017, 9:06 am

Dizzy1 wrote:I have yet once to actually make the "Ride The Wave" doing the speed limit with out hitting almost every red light. Going above the speed limit - I almost make it every time.

Actually time the lights to the speed limit and you've solved a big part of the problem.

^^
I don't live on Springfield either, but I've tried many times to confirm that the lights are setup properly to 'ride the wave'. Doesn't work. So instead, I go with the flow (safer anyway) which seems to be about 55 - 60.

whatwhat likes this post.
DarkMagna

Liked in: 22 posts

Postby Woodenhead » Jul 13th, 2017, 12:58 pm

Dizzy1 wrote:I have yet once to actually make the "Ride The Wave" doing the speed limit with out hitting almost every red light. Going above the speed limit - I almost make it every time.

^^
DarkMagna wrote:I don't live on Springfield either, but I've tried many times to confirm that the lights are setup properly to 'ride the wave'. Doesn't work. So instead, I go with the flow (safer anyway) which seems to be about 55 - 60.

I can confirm this. It's part of my daily commute, and the speed to hit every green (or red, depending on what you hit first, lol) is in the ballpark of 58km/h. Then a pedestrian hits a button and even that goes out the window. [icon_lol2.gif] Anyway, these "Ride the Wave" areas (you can find them in other cities, too) are (almost?) always set at a higher speed than the posted limit because
go with the flow (safer anyway)
is true & what most municipalities actually adhere to. I wish all drivers did, as well. We'd have less traffic issues overall.

I remember how I could drive right across St. Catharines on Welland Ave. and hit all greens by driving just under 70, when it was a 50 zone. (and OFC it had to be late at night, otherwise that road was worse than Harvey on a long weekend with an accident at Spall, Cooper, and Dilworth!)
Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character. Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Politics without principle. Your bias suits you.
Woodenhead
Guru

Liked in: 872 posts

Postby KL3-Something » Jul 13th, 2017, 4:26 pm

Don't expext much in the way of enforcement when Kelowna only has a total of about 7 traffic members (including the bosses who are stuck riding desks). Those 7 members are spread out on the schedule so rarely are there more than two or three on shift at a time.

The only way to get them to increase the number of dedicated traffic members is to complain. To the city and to the Kelowna Detachment (oh, sorry. "Kelowna Police Services Building")
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.

2 people like this post.
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 992 posts

Postby Jflem1983 » Jul 13th, 2017, 4:34 pm

KL3-Something wrote:Don't expext much in the way of enforcement when Kelowna only has a total of about 7 traffic members (including the bosses who are stuck riding desks). Those 7 members are spread out on the schedule so rarely are there more than two or three on shift at a time.

The only way to get them to increase the number of dedicated traffic members is to complain. To the city and to the Kelowna Detachment (oh, sorry. "Kelowna Police Services Building")

My neighbor complains often enough . I honestly think there is too many hard core scumbags for RCMP to give traffic much concern . They are as u say spread thin

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Jflem1983
Übergod

Postby GordonH » Jul 13th, 2017, 4:35 pm

KL3-Something wrote:Don't expext much in the way of enforcement when Kelowna only has a total of about 7 traffic members (including the bosses who are stuck riding desks). Those 7 members are spread out on the schedule so rarely are there more than two or three on shift at a time.

Makes one wonder which direction will the city go:
More officers or cameras
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 5599 posts
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby Jflem1983 » Jul 13th, 2017, 4:39 pm

GordonH wrote:

Makes one wonder which direction will the city go:
More officers or cameras

Prefer cameras but that has it's own baggage .

Jflem1983
Übergod

Postby Jflem1983 » Jul 13th, 2017, 4:44 pm

Kelowna rally . Start at kelowna mountain . Drive like he'll down the Gordon way full bore . Dehart to swamp picking up speed . Straight thru the traffic circle up south east kelowna back down to klo . Up Casorso to Springfield dodging ttraffic at speed . Make the corner at end of Springfield and full blast down Rutland road out to the highway . Lol

Jflem1983
Übergod

Next

Return to Trials & Tribulations of Traffic