Mobility spot etiquette

Home of the traffic rant.

Mobility spot etiquette

Postby jimmy4321 » Jul 26th, 2017, 4:45 am

Curious
I watched someone park in a mobility or handicap spot , they had that card they hung up - all completely legit.
They didn't need the extra space such a spot gives you, and marched into the store. I'm not questioning their need for it as there's any number of reasons that aren't always apparent.
My question is that the spot right next to it was vacant. Now if it were me, i'd take the smaller spot next to the official mobility spot to keep that mobility spot reserved for those with bigger issues than me.
Considering the aged population in the Okanagan there probably isn't enough of these spots anyway.
jimmy4321
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1390 posts

Re: Mobility spot etiquette

Postby Grandan » Jul 26th, 2017, 6:36 am

jimmy4321 wrote:Curious
I watched someone park in a mobility or handicap spot , they had that card they hung up - all completely legit.
They didn't need the extra space such a spot gives you, and marched into the store. I'm not questioning their need for it as there's any number of reasons that aren't always apparent.
My question is that the spot right next to it was vacant. Now if it were me, i'd take the smaller spot next to the official mobility spot to keep that mobility spot reserved for those with bigger issues than me.
Considering the aged population in the Okanagan there probably isn't enough of these spots anyway.

What you witnessed was just another example of me first because I am special. It would seem that these handicap stickers are being abused by many people. I have seen able bodied people hogging the handicap parking spaces.
Who wouldn't like to use an extra wide space close to the front door with impunity?
Waste not

spooker likes this post.
Grandan
Übergod

Liked in: 549 posts

Postby spooker » Jul 26th, 2017, 9:55 am

People don't take the time to think things through ... as Grandan said, it's all about "me"

When my mother-in-law visits she brings her placard and it stays in the car even if she's not riding with me all the time ... I'll admit to being tempted to use it when I feel hurried and I won't be there long ... but thankfully I've been able to exercise some self-control ...

What about a technology that will automatically call a tow-truck and disable your car if you park in a handicap spot and don't have the correct transponder installed? Take that you impatient entitled driver! :biggrin:
--
Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. -- Plato
spooker
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 471 posts

Postby LANDM » Jul 26th, 2017, 10:00 am

Except the person did have the proper card....no reason to disable the car or tow it.
Disabilities can have many facets that may not be obvious. If they have the card it is valid and not for a casual observer to call them out on it.
The OP's question about them parking in the adjacent spot is a valid one though, as it would free up the handicapped spot.
LANDM
Guru

Liked in: 2357 posts

Postby spooker » Jul 26th, 2017, 10:04 am

LANDM wrote:Except the person did have the proper card....no reason to disable the car or tow it.
Disabilities can have many facets that may not be obvious. If they have the card it is valid and not for a casual observer to call them out on it.
The OP's question about them parking in the adjacent spot is a valid one though, as it would free up the handicapped spot.

Since he had the correct placard then he would've probably had the transponder I mentioned in my solution ... I was generalizing a bit for the numerous times we've all seen someone stop in a handicap spot for that "really quick stop"

And I agree with you about the adjacent spot from OP ...
--
Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. -- Plato
spooker
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 471 posts

Postby jimmy4321 » Jul 26th, 2017, 10:20 am

This isn't about questioning why they have a placard as mentioned a few times, not all conditions that would allow you to have one is apparent.
To add to my original post concern
I often see people making several rounds around parking lots looking to park in these spots when none are available. Yet some who don't necessarily need the "extra wide" space but take it anyway cause they have a placard but mostly need close proximity.
For example in Walmarts and similar stores, next spots up is say expecting mothers or something like that, why not drop those spots and change them to handicap spots? I'm certain there's more than a few expecting mothers or whatever in Walmart etc.
jimmy4321
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1390 posts

Postby TylerM4 » Jul 27th, 2017, 1:33 pm

Rarely do I see all of the mobility spots used. Often they are the only spots left in a lot. I could argue that etiquette should include using the spot when entitled rather than taking a prime spot away from someone who can't park in the mobility spot.
TylerM4
Übergod

Liked in: 802 posts

Postby Jflem1983 » Jul 27th, 2017, 2:49 pm

I've seen a certain realtor . With his fancy European pans roadster . Park in handicap spot at mission 7-11 . I mean mugged the little puke the whole time he was in line for his smokes . He's got a funny name . Sells mansions . Takes park I g spots that are not for him . Cause you know life didn't give him enough
We don't reach for handouts we reach for those who are down . "Garth Brooks "

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"

2 people like this post.
Jflem1983
Übergod

Liked in: 968 posts

Postby Bubalouie » Aug 3rd, 2017, 8:47 am

My BFF has a mobility tag, looking at her you wouldn't know there is a problem. She will park in a non handicap if there is something available and close to the store. But when she does park in one of the spots, the looks she gets are unreal, people need to realize that not all disabilities are visable.

5 people like this post.
Bubalouie
Guru

Liked in: 412 posts

Postby WeatherWoman » Aug 3rd, 2017, 9:41 pm

I don't have ones of these tags but could probably get one. You would look a me and have no idea the physical pain I am in. Getting out of a seated position is difficult with stiffness and pain in my lower black, knees, hips just to name a few. Once standing I walk fine...but being to open my door as wide as it can go and plenty of space to get myself to standing is important. Unless you are in that persons shoes you really don't know whether or not the wider spaces was important for a successful exit from the vehicle.
"It takes a village to raise a fool." ~ Dan Mangan

5 people like this post.
WeatherWoman
Wicked Witch of the West Coast

Liked in: 2395 posts

Return to Trials & Tribulations of Traffic