Commercial Drivers Cell Phone Use

Home of the traffic rant.
lightspeed
Guru

Re: Commercial Drivers Cell Phone Use

Post by lightspeed »

Eires wrote:I'm not sure if this info is accurate as my class 1 CVOR is clean without any infractions, but my first employer said that the fine to a Class 1 driver using a cell phone while driving can be $1100, and the fine to his employer can be in the $10k - $11k range. Now this was back in 2010 and in another province.

A class 1 driver with a phone to his/her ear is usually a flip-flop wearing pseudo-professional driver. Any company I drove for sent messages through the onboard communication system and they understood it would be answered when the rig was parked. If a professional driver (Class 1 Class 3 etc) causes death due to distracted driving, they'll lose a whole lot more than a "contract".

You nailed it.

Flip flops on, driving while wearing their hi viz vest and green hard hat.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

Eires wrote:I'm not sure if this info is accurate as my class 1 CVOR is clean without any infractions, but my first employer said that the fine to a Class 1 driver using a cell phone while driving can be $1100, and the fine to his employer can be in the $10k - $11k range. Now this was back in 2010 and in another province.

A class 1 driver with a phone to his/her ear is usually a flip-flop wearing pseudo-professional driver. Any company I drove for sent messages through the onboard communication system and they understood it would be answered when the rig was parked. If a professional driver (Class 1 Class 3 etc) causes death due to distracted driving, they'll lose a whole lot more than a "contract".

I don't doubt any of this.
I'm actually shocked at the fines in place not so much as the severity of it which is deserved but the fact that i still see a lot and i mean a lot of drivers with an ear on the phone.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

I like driving around with my closed hand resting on my cheek, my elbow on the sill.
That way when busy-bodies freak at me for being on the phone, I can wave with my EMPTY hand.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Smurf wrote:
Dizzy 1 wrote:

Some clients will understand, some won't - its just the way it is. Just like when you go into a store or restaurant, if you don't receive prompt service, chances are you may not visit there again. Each industry is different, each business is different, each client is different. Times have changed, when I started out, clients were more than fine if it took you a few days to get back to them. Then voicemail and emails came along, clients were expecting you to get back to them the same day. Then texting came along, now they expected contact within hours - its just the way it is.

In other words you do not have to do it while you are driving, you have time to reply at a stop. Stopping within hours is totally doable and probably not a bad idea anyway.

In other words - I was demonstrating the evolution of modern communications and the expectations in todays business world.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

True but you also proved my point, it can be done.

I'm just sorry that this couldn't be brought in and enforced for all drivers.

Eires wrote:
I'm not sure if this info is accurate as my class 1 CVOR is clean without any infractions, but my first employer said that the fine to a Class 1 driver using a cell phone while driving can be $1100, and the fine to his employer can be in the $10k - $11k range. Now this was back in 2010 and in another province.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Smurf wrote:True but you also proved my point, it can be done.

I'm just sorry that this couldn't be brought in and enforced for all drivers.

Sorry - I didn't "prove" anything - you simply misinterpreted my post - which was my fault, I should have written it better.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

Sometime commercial drivers are on the phone with dispatch or shipper/receiver getting directions. Not exactly easy to pull a super-b over on the side of the road, and one wrong turn down the wrong street could be costly.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Sorry Dizzy 1, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. I think you hit the nail on the head. In my own mind I think you possibly even realize that. I believe any customer worth having will wait a couple of hours if you are giving them good service and have explained why you do it. Anyone with any common sense at all would realize the problem with answering a phone and driving.

As I said earlier I think all vehicles should have some type of signal jammer so phones can't be used while driving. That could be a problem when you have two people in the car and the other one wants to use the phone. It might also be a problem with a GPS . No matter what something has to be done to prevent cell phone usage by drivers. It is getting worse, not better, and it is becoming a main cause of accidents and death on our roads. The larger the vehicle, the bigger the problem, I don't care who the driver is. I certainly don't call a commercial driver who uses a cell phone while driving a professional driver. Not by a long shot.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

At least the Okanagan i notice people will actually take time to find the person they want for a service but god help you if you don't answer that phone or it goes to the next guy immediately Lol
You can say that customer isn't worth having but if that were the case I'd go broke.
The extent of my conversation on my hands free is "I'm driving, your number will be on my call display can i call you back when i pull over, thanks" mostly cause i have to write stuff down or have retain detailed info and i can do neither while driving for obvious reasons.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

Smurf wrote:I don't care who the driver is. I certainly don't call a commercial driver who uses a cell phone while driving a professional driver. Not by a long shot.

That old "professional driver" zinger every commercial driver hears. :up:
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

jimmy4321 wrote:At least the Okanagan i notice people will actually take time to find the person they want for a service but god help you if you don't answer that phone or it goes to the next guy immediately Lol
You can say that customer isn't worth having but if that were the case I'd go broke.

Nailed it ! :smt045

The majority of calls of this nature are a yes or a no,

If yes, it is a call back for details (when stopped.)

No...self explanatory.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Do commercial drivers not call themselves professionals?

Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

Smurf wrote:Do commercial drivers not call themselves professionals?

Nope. Only smug a-aholes and law enforcement call commercial drivers professional drivers when they want to insult or talk down to them.
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

Gixxer wrote:
Smurf wrote:I don't care who the driver is. I certainly don't call a commercial driver who uses a cell phone while driving a professional driver. Not by a long shot.

That old "professional driver" zinger every commercial driver hears. :up:

They have a point though.

There are people with a commercial license and there are professional drivers.

Big difference.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Smurf wrote:Sorry Dizzy 1, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Nothing wrong with that - disagree on one thing, agree on another.

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”