Commercial Drivers Cell Phone Use

Home of the traffic rant.
jimmy4321
Guru

Commercial Drivers Cell Phone Use

Post by jimmy4321 »

I bet most of the time if i look up to see who's driving the commercial vehicle next to me, the driver will have a phone to his left ear without a care in the world. Do these guys ever get stopped for this?
Local/nationwide companies no real difference.
There's no need or excuse as there's portable and hardwire kits for handsfree.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: Commercial Drivers Cell Phone Use

Post by Bsuds »

I always contact the Company and advise them of dangerous driver.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

I know a few across the country who drive so I understand it IS necessary to talk while driving in that business but handfree is so easy nowadays. So whether you own/lease a truck or bounce around truck to truck there's many products available.
neilsimon
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by neilsimon »

jimmy4321 wrote:I know a few across the country who drive so I understand it IS necessary to talk while driving in that business but handfree is so easy nowadays. So whether you own/lease a truck or bounce around truck to truck there's many products available.

Hands free is only a bit safer than hands held devices. If one needs to carry on a conversation, why can't they pull over and do so from a stopped vehicle?
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

neilsimon wrote: why can't they pull over and do so from a stopped vehicle?

Where would you like to see an 18 wheeler pull over on the Hwy? Even away from populated areas there are very few pull outs and rest stops. At least with a hands free they could have both hands on the wheel.

You can order a hands free ear piece from China for less than $5 including shipping or a Radio with Bluetooth capabilities for less than $30.

There is no excuse!
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

Smoking is also illegal in a commercial vehicle but you see it all the time.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

If you cant talk on a hands free device and drive please surrender your license
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

neilsimon wrote:Hands free is only a bit safer than hands held devices. If one needs to carry on a conversation, why can't they pull over and do so from a stopped vehicle?

It requires me to push 1 button on my radio to answer the phone, the phone conversation is less engaging than one with a passenger with the gestures and this compelling need to make occasional eye contact.
For Business, people don't leave messages anymore, and I sure as heck ain't hiring to watch a phone.
Last edited by jimmy4321 on Aug 11th, 2017, 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Bsuds wrote:I always contact the Company and advise them of dangerous driver.

I take note if there is truck #, date & time. Either call or send an email to the company.
Been tempted to install second dash cam on back window (after passing the truck) just to give something to the police.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

I see lots of truck drivers with headsets. Most big rig drivers are responsible. It's the smaller trucks, delivery vans, car parts runners, etc. who don't give hoots about using hands free.
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

LTD wrote:If you cant talk on a hands free device and drive please surrender your license

Plenty should. Good reading here if you're interested. It actually explains quite a lot of bad driving.

Link opens up a PDF.

http://www.nsc.org/DistractedDrivingDoc ... -Paper.pdf
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
neilsimon
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by neilsimon »

LTD wrote:If you cant talk on a hands free device and drive please surrender your license

Of course I can drive as such, but statistics show that hands-free devices aren't hugely safer than hand-held devices. If you are driving and concentrating on a conversation, you are not giving your full attention to driving.

I can also drive drunk, on drugs, half-awake, etc. but none as safely as I can do while completely alert and single-mindedly focused on driving.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

neilsimon wrote:Of course I can drive as such, but statistics show that hands-free devices aren't hugely safer than hand-held devices. If you are driving and concentrating on a conversation, you are not giving your full attention to driving.

I can also drive drunk, on drugs, half-awake, etc. but none as safely as I can do while completely alert and single-mindedly focused on driving.

Obvious difference neilsimon is one is illegal & other one is legal.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
neilsimon
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by neilsimon »

GordonH wrote:

neilsimon wrote:Of course I can drive as such, but statistics show that hands-free devices aren't hugely safer than hand-held devices. If you are driving and concentrating on a conversation, you are not giving your full attention to driving.

Obvious difference neilsimon is one is illegal & other one is legal.

So? Just because something isn't illegal doesn't mean that it is a good idea.

BTW, there have been numerous calls for the banning of all cell-phone and similar use, hands-free or not, as it is proven to be relatively dangerous to use such while driving.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

It would be very bad news for many small businesses.

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”