SLOW - baby deer

Home of the traffic rant.

SLOW - baby deer

Postby D machine » Aug 19th, 2017, 1:19 pm

To the person who has taken the time to put up and maintain the "Slow - baby deer" signs on Bear Creek road - you are awesome! To the people who speed through this West Kelowna Estates neighbourhood as if it is a highway or speedway - you are not awesome. Please respect our neighbourhood and slow down - families, children, pets and wildlife all live here.

7 people like this post.
D machine

Liked in: 8 posts

Re: SLOW - baby deer

Postby lightspeed » Aug 19th, 2017, 2:38 pm

D machine wrote:To the person who has taken the time to put up and maintain the "Slow - baby deer" signs on Bear Creek road - you are awesome! To the people who speed through this West Kelowna Estates neighbourhood as if it is a highway or speedway - you are not awesome. Please respect our neighbourhood and slow down - families, children, pets and wildlife all live here.

I saw that sign - superb :up:
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

Queen K likes this post.
lightspeed
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1646 posts

Postby strebor » Aug 19th, 2017, 3:09 pm

I'm sorry, But if I ever see a baby deer or any deer for that matter, im speeding up! Remember, the deer hit you! :cuss: ICBC.
lol joking... I could never hit Bambi. I've swerved hard before dodging one of these little buggers
Last edited by ferri on Aug 19th, 2017, 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: word censor workaround
strebor

Liked in: 13 posts

Postby BigBearBruno » Aug 19th, 2017, 3:32 pm

D machine wrote:To the person who has taken the time to put up and maintain the "Slow - baby deer" signs on Bear Creek road - you are awesome! To the people who speed through this West Kelowna Estates neighbourhood as if it is a highway or speedway - you are not awesome. Please respect our neighbourhood and slow down - families, children, pets and wildlife all live here.

It's amazing how many idiots in Kelowna feel they need to speed. As if those extra seconds will make all the difference. There's never an excuse for speeding. If you're late for something it's your own fault. Own up to it and deal. Don't feel you suddenly had the right to speed because you made yourself late.
Just called me Triple B.
Bigger, Badder, Better than you!

2 people like this post.
BigBearBruno
Fledgling

Liked in: 120 posts

Postby strebor » Aug 19th, 2017, 3:43 pm

BigBearBruno wrote:

It's amazing how many idiots in Kelowna feel they need to speed. As if those extra seconds will make all the difference. There's never an excuse for speeding. If you're late for something it's your own fault. Own up to it and deal. Don't feel you suddenly had the right to speed because you made yourself late.

I agree. The people who think they're getting ahead by speeding are only going to be stopped by the next red light. I see it all the time. Its not worth speeding in this city. I used to speed myself but have since changed my ways. Not worth the headache, the self centered drivers are always going to be there.
strebor

Liked in: 13 posts

Postby Bunnyhop » Aug 20th, 2017, 9:50 am

strebor wrote:I'm sorry, But if I ever see a baby deer or any deer for that matter, im speeding up! Remember, the deer hit you! :cuss: ICBC.
lol joking... I could never hit Bambi. I've swerved hard before dodging one of these little buggers

Don't ever swerve hard to avoid hitting a deer. You risk causing a much more serious accident than hitting a deer.
Bunnyhop
Board Meister

Liked in: 378 posts

Postby Rider59 » Aug 20th, 2017, 3:19 pm

Bunnyhop wrote:Don't ever swerve hard to avoid hitting a deer. You risk causing a much more serious accident than hitting a deer.

Actually the slow baby deer are easy to avoid. Now the quick baby deer are a bit harder. :sosorry:

4 people like this post.
Rider59
Board Meister

Liked in: 339 posts

Postby lightspeed » Aug 20th, 2017, 3:21 pm

Rider59 wrote:
Bunnyhop wrote:Don't ever swerve hard to avoid hitting a deer. You risk causing a much more serious accident than hitting a deer.

Actually the slow baby deer are easy to avoid. Now the quick baby deer are a bit harder. :sosorry:

SLOW CHILDREN CROSSING
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

Queen K likes this post.
lightspeed
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1646 posts

Postby kelowna_proud » Aug 20th, 2017, 4:00 pm

So what is the speed limit the resident is asking I go? I have gone down residential streets going 40-50 km/h and people scream there freakin heads off at me to slow down?

WHAT IS THE REQUIRED SPEED TO WATCH OUT FOR BABY DEER???
kelowna_proud

Liked in: 31 posts

Postby Bsuds » Aug 20th, 2017, 4:10 pm

Faster Kids are much harder to hit, same with Deer.

3 people like this post.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Liked in: 8915 posts

Postby LANDM » Aug 21st, 2017, 5:18 am

lightspeed wrote:
SLOW CHILDREN CROSSING

Ha, this is what I have been continually thinking about in this thread......remember decades ago when the gradual transition when from *bleep* to slow to special to differently-abled etc.
I get a chuckle every time I pass a sign like the one above and wonder if it's the parents that are "slow" or if they really think their kids are.

lightspeed likes this post.
LANDM
Guru

Liked in: 2359 posts

Postby gman313 » Aug 21st, 2017, 8:08 am

BigBearBruno wrote:

there are no traffic lights on bear creek rd and so speed makes a huge difference in time. It is only a non issue where there are traffic lights
gman313
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 902 posts

Postby youjustcomplain » Aug 21st, 2017, 12:06 pm

kelowna_proud wrote:So what is the speed limit the resident is asking I go? I have gone down residential streets going 40-50 km/h and people scream there freakin heads off at me to slow down?

If you drove 50km/h down my road, I'd throw a rock at your car.

lightspeed likes this post.
youjustcomplain
Board Meister

Liked in: 289 posts

Postby gman313 » Aug 21st, 2017, 12:07 pm

50km/hr is the limit. Teach your kids to watch out

2 people like this post.
gman313
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 902 posts

Postby Fancy » Aug 21st, 2017, 1:40 pm

kelowna_proud wrote:So what is the speed limit the resident is asking I go? I have gone down residential streets going 40-50 km/h and people scream there freakin heads off at me to slow down?

Always err on the side of caution. 50 is sometimes too fast for many residential areas and the speed has been/is being changed to lower speeds. 30 and 40 is not uncommon and just because there is a maximum doesn't negate the driver's responsibility to drive according to situations.

2 people like this post.
Fancy
The Pilgrim

Liked in: 4851 posts

Next

Return to Trials & Tribulations of Traffic