Light controlled left lane turns at intersections

Home of the traffic rant.
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Light controlled left lane turns at intersections

Post by Always Sunny »

dodgerdodge wrote:It's all about timing and we have not managed to figure it out after all these years. If you allow cars to make a turn when through green is lit but they cannot do so until its clear and then add to that at least 2 cars in the intersection waiting there will always be a conflict. They wait maybe until its red then make their turn while the vehicles waiting to turn onto highway have a green arrow but cannot use it until the others have cleared the intersection. Add in boredom factor and a bit of phone checking and we have almost had the green arrow on time before anything moves!

In Ontario (where I learned to drive) and BC (where I've done 90% of my driving) it's not unlawful for more than one vehicle to be in the intersection, provided there's space. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I can't think of one intersection in Kelowna large enough where more than two vehicles can be waiting.

So *bleep* is it with 4-5 vehicles turning after my direction has gotten their green? I find that Pandosy and 97 headed over the bridge is notoriously bad for this. Obviously much more of an issue since they removed the left turn arrow into Pandosy a couple years back.

Also, does anyone know why Dilworth/Harvey doesn't have an advanced left for those turning into the highway? There's boatloads of left turners all day, every day. Mix that with so many yellow/red runners is just a nightmare.
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

Always Sunny wrote:In Ontario (where I learned to drive) and BC (where I've done 90% of my driving) it's not unlawful for more than one vehicle to be in the intersection, provided there's space. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I can't think of one intersection in Kelowna large enough where more than two vehicles can be waiting.

So *bleep* is it with 4-5 vehicles turning after my direction has gotten their green? I find that Pandosy and 97 headed over the bridge is notoriously bad for this. Obviously much more of an issue since they removed the left turn arrow into Pandosy a couple years back.

Also, does anyone know why Dilworth/Harvey doesn't have an advanced left for those turning into the highway? There's boatloads of left turners all day, every day. Mix that with so many yellow/red runners is just a nightmare.

Yes Pandosy/97 is awful, as many as 3 cars could be in the intersection and then there is always the one behind the line that goes as well. I've seen some near misses there where traffic has begun its left turn on the arrow and nearly clipped the red light runner. Agreed that Dilworth is bad, i was there yesterday and thought, "this was a mistake" Turning left from Richter on 97 towards bridge is also near impossible without at least one or two running the red. Extra traffic due to Ethel closure doesn't help.
It doesn't help the situation when the green comes on immediately after the red has gone. If there was a small time lag to allow the intersection to clear it might help, but of course its adding time to the light sequence
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

During peak traffic times, intersections and their turning lanes are usually at capacity. I plan my route to avoid left-hand turns at busy intersections as much as possible. One solution is to just relax and be patient with those drivers that aren't.
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

3 rights make a left.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
featfan
Guru

Post by featfan »

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”