What % of ticket risk curbs violations ?

Home of the traffic rant.
my5cents
Guru

What % of ticket risk curbs violations ?

Post by my5cents »

As I drive in and around the South OK, I can go days without seeing a cop.

There was a huge blitz of Citizens on Partrol near Antlers Beach last week, two setups each way !!!! WOW. Think of how many "important" notations the old codgers wrote down. Maybe the percentage of speeders will spurn enforcement, but I won't hold my breath.

So my question is.

If police were actually out available to conduct enforcement and the chance of a violator getting a traffic ticket increased, is there a "likelihood percentage" per violation or, kms speeding that would reduce the amount of violating ?
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
spooker

Re: What % of ticket risk curbs violations ?

Post by spooker »

100% should do it ... get those speed-cameras going and post signs that they're there ...

Blitzes are good ... but people's memory is too short to make enough of a difference ... and increasing the number of officers is a blackhole of tax dollars to find the right balance ...

Technology has been proven to solve some problems ... technology has made crashing your car safer so you can drive faster without all that worry when you hit something ...
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

I drive closer to the speed limit as soon as I drive across the US border. reason: more cops.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

spooker wrote:100% should do it ... get those speed-cameras going and post signs that they're there ...

Blitzes are good ... but people's memory is too short to make enough of a difference ... and increasing the number of officers is a blackhole of tax dollars to find the right balance ...

Technology has been proven to solve some problems ... technology has made crashing your car safer so you can drive faster without all that worry when you hit something ...

I'm in favor of speed cameras in chronic speeding locations. I define that as high accident locations for which normal enforcement just doesn't have an impact. Also special areas, such as school zones and playground zones, where there is a chronic problem of speeding.

For example, the floating bridge is a 60 zone, it's worth your life to travel 60, but is it a high accident area ? If it is then permanent photo speed enforcement, if not then leave it to regular enforcement.

I did not like the previous photo speed enforcement. A van would be parked, let say at the side of the roadway on Harvey, the traffic, moving at 10 kph'ish over the limit, doing just fine. Then upon approach to the van would drastically slow to 10 - 15 kph under the limit, actually causing a risk for collisions.

Perhaps an entire new means of enforcement. Photo traffic violation vehicles. Disguised, driving in traffic, targeting the multiple violation driver. Perhaps linked to some type of new definition of "driver", so that an onus is placed on the owner of a vehicle to identify the driver of their vehicle at the time of an offense.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

I'm in favor for any photo radar/red light cam where it can at least pay for itself.
I don't care how many, i don't care if it's camouflaged, i don't care if it's a mammoth money maker or cash grab, i'm not even too concerned where the money goes after that.
It's a COMPLETELY avoidable fine or tax, whatever ya wanna call it.
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

jimmy4321 wrote:I'm in favor for any photo radar/red light cam where it can at least pay for itself.
I don't care how many, i don't care if it's camouflaged, i don't care if it's a mammoth money maker or cash grab, i'm not even too concerned where the money goes after that.
It's a COMPLETELY avoidable fine or tax, whatever ya wanna call it.

Government: "OK people, we got another one hooked on all the crap we spew........put jimmy4321 in that category.........who's next"? "Take your pick........we have lots of people that feel they need us to control their lives completely".
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

Fines should be a % based on one's income. Other countries do it, it can be done.

I'm not a fan of making cameras ubiquitous in public, really; panopticism isn't a good ideal.
Your bias suits you.
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by youjustcomplain »

lesliepaul wrote:Government: "OK people, we got another one hooked on all the crap we spew........put jimmy4321 in that category.........who's next"? "Take your pick........we have lots of people that feel they need us to control their lives completely".

What crap are they spewing? Who is looking to be controlled? Oh, you're just busy making things up to further your argument. I get it. You don't want photo radar. Make a case against it... Or, do as you did and just make things up.

I'm with the previous poster. I'm all for Photo radar. Hell, I'm all for your car reporting your speeds and which roads you're on and you can get dozens of tickets per trip for all I care.

As for the fines, I fully agree with Woodenhead. Make the fine relative to the offenders income or net value. (whichever is higher). To the guy making $150k per year, is a speeding ticket really a big deal? Nope. To the person making $25k, it sure is. Speeding tickets are an unfair, but completely avoidable tax.
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by youjustcomplain »

my5cents wrote:I did not like the previous photo speed enforcement. A van would be parked, let say at the side of the roadway on Harvey, the traffic, moving at 10 kph'ish over the limit, doing just fine. Then upon approach to the van would drastically slow to 10 - 15 kph under the limit, actually causing a risk for collisions.

Make no mistake, it's not the van that causes the rapid slow down which increases the risk of collision. It's the crappy drivers who notice the van last second and slam on the brakes.

IMO, putting the radar in a van was a good start. However, since crappy drivers will always exist and the problem of slamming on the brakes is real, they should hide the cameras. Put them in all traffic lights and randomly activate/inactivate them. Nobody will know whether they're on or not. Hide them all over the place. At some point, as a society, we'll start to respect the speed limits. If those limits are too slow and the enforcement is very high, then we could build a case for a higher max speed.

Not drinking any government coolaid. I just happen to want my kids to be safe on and near the roads. My work brings me in contact with many people injured or killed in car accidents. They were rarely found to be going an appropriate speed.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Woodenhead wrote:Fines should be a % based on one's income.

So it's ok to be punished more then someone else simply based on your income? A ticket is for the crime committed, not your income.

Increase their insurance by all means being that more tickets makes you a potentially higher risk driver.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Rider59
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Rider59 »

Didn't you mean to say.....

Woodenhead wrote:Fines should be a % based on one's income higher than my own income (my edit). Other countries do it, it can be done.

I'm not a fan of making cameras ubiquitous in public, really; panopticism isn't a good ideal.

What the hell does income have anything at all to do with breaking the law? Nothing. Not even a good try.
Fast, Good or Cheap. Pick Two
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

youjustcomplain wrote:Make no mistake, it's not the van that causes the rapid slow down which increases the risk of collision. It's the crappy drivers who notice the van last second and slam on the brakes.

I didn't know that, gee, I thought the van somehow magically hit the brakes on the cars.

youjustcomplain wrote:IMO, putting the radar in a van was a good start. However, since crappy drivers will always exist and the problem of slamming on the brakes is real, they should hide the cameras. Put them in all traffic lights and randomly activate/inactivate them.

? If you're going to have them there, have them on, that's crazy ?

In the least the speed enforcement should be in locations where speeding is a problem and is causing accidents, not locations where speeding exists (ie, the bottom of hills)

I still would much rather disguised photo enforcement cars, that monitor traffic and NAIL the multiple violator, speeding, tailgating, then dangerous lane change then cutting traffic off.

As for fines based on salary ? Completely crazy, stupid unrealistic,,,, etc etc etc.

BUT, equal things with more driving suspensions and with less points accumulation than now.
Opeeved
Fledgling

Post by Opeeved »

Im either completely risk averse or everyone else needs bubble wrap. Why am I not crap scared as it appears everyone else is?
I don't get it.

School zones excluded
This post was brought to you, by, the letter F, Q and the number 8
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

Rider59 wrote:Didn't you mean to say.....

Nope.

At my salary, traffic tickets don't even make me blink. Chump change, not a punishment or deterrent.

I think Britain and Germany do things this way. Makes sense, unless you have none.
Your bias suits you.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Rider59 wrote:Didn't you mean to say.....

Woodenhead wrote:Nope.

At my salary, traffic tickets don't even make me blink. Chump change, not a punishment or deterrent.

I think Britain and Germany do things this way. Makes sense, unless you have none.

Woodenheads comment is why I constantly say major increases are needed in fines. Many don't learn without a huge hit to their wallets. So the Province should increase fines a lot, drivers don't like it.... then smarten the hell up. It just that easy, don't drive like an idiot.... you don't get a ticket.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”