Tire Manufacturers Reducing Tire Life

Home of the traffic rant.
Green-light
Fledgling

Re: Tire Manufacturers Reducing Tire Life

Post by Green-light »

rubber doesn't turn into oil
oils found on tire tracks on highways would be more from brake fluid, bearing grease, axle lubricants and such than tire rubber turned to oil
tire roll variations between softer and harder compounds are not substantial enough to be measured let alone enough to create a hazard in a tire
avoiding using winter tires in summer is entirely based on longevity
handling, braking and acceleration all improve with softer rubber compounds

if I could afford to run winter tires every season, I would in a heartbeat
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

lesliepaul wrote:
I am in the process of trying to figure out what to put on my 1/2 ton 4x4. I am looking at General Grabbers A/T or Yokohama Geolander A/T.

Both good choices for year rounders
I run Good Year Duratrac. Year-round, a good tire, a bit noisy.

Many I know swear by the BFG All-Terrains
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

dirtybiker wrote:
lesliepaul wrote:
I am in the process of trying to figure out what to put on my 1/2 ton 4x4. I am looking at General Grabbers A/T or Yokohama Geolander A/T.

Both good choices for year rounders
I run Good Year Duratrac. Year-round, a good tire, a bit noisy.

Many I know swear by the BFG All-Terrains

Looks like the Yokohama Geolander A/T will be the tire choice this time around. Hopefully 40,000 KM will be surpassed by a great deal more.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Driving like a "normal" person (not like you're in the Indy 500) should allow for a long life of high quality winter tires, year round.

I do it, others do it, and no problems. (See previous posts).

No switching tires every few months. Good driving record = lower insurance premiums.

More cash in wallet.

Just check tire pressure, wheel alignment regularly.

:up: All good to go.
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

If you're going to own the vehicle for long enough, why not just get 2 sets of tires? Keep the winter tires with lots of tread so you have good traction when you need it

A cheap jack and 30min of your time is all it takes to swap them. Tires should be rotated anyway, plus it gives you a chance to inspect the brakes while you're at it.

I'm surprised that you're willing to pay to check wheel alignment regularly, but not to swap tires.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Tyler, i did the 8 tire bit for years when i was still working and driving a lot. Now, I am an elderly woman who would rather not lug tires around and the related hassles for the small amount I drive. And further, on a limited income I don't fancy paying for the changeover twice a year which is overkill imo. However i will pay for maintenance as is due.

Another 2,000 kms to go before tires must be rotated. At that time alignment and brake pads are checked as well. My brake pads are at 5 and 6 mm wear as of last september when i purchased tires.. The car is 13 years old and looks like new, and is perfectly maintained. When I check out permanently this car will be a great find for a young person starting out, or, another old foggey who wants a well taken care of little gem.

If you look at previous posts it seems that we are being oversold on the idea of sets of tires for seasonal use which is based on old technology and wisdom, especially with the new compounds that weren't available before. You might want to check them out and should you drive as little as I do, switch to one tire set year round.

Believe me, all is well here

:biggrin:
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
RustyCrayon
Board Meister

Post by RustyCrayon »

Catsumi wrote:Tyler, i did the 8 tire bit for years when i was still working and driving a lot. Now, I am an elderly woman who would rather not lug tires around and the related hassles for the small amount I drive. And further, on a limited income I don't fancy paying for the changeover twice a year which is overkill imo. However i will pay for maintenance as is due.

Another 2,000 kms to go before tires must be rotated. At that time alignment and brake pads are checked as well. My brake pads are at 5 and 6 mm wear as of last september when i purchased tires.. The car is 13 years old and looks like new, and is perfectly maintained. When I check out permanently this car will be a great find for a young person starting out, or, another old foggey who wants a well taken care of little gem.

If you look at previous posts it seems that we are being oversold on the idea of sets of tires for seasonal use which is based on old technology and wisdom, especially with the new compounds that weren't available before. You might want to check them out and should you drive as little as I do, switch to one tire set year round.

My dad does this as well. Keeps the same all season tires on year round.
He's fine and his car is in great shape too!

Last edited by RustyCrayon on Sep 24th, 2017, 2:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I have all season M/S tires with the snowflake.

I am not spending over $1000. not including rims for snow tires when we drive less than 14k per year. Then another $200 per year to change them over. (I am getting too old to do myself)
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

My dad does this as well. Keeps the same all season tires on year round.
He's fine and his car is in great shape too!

:biggrin:[/quote]

Great, glad this works for him. My tires are dedicated high quality winters (Federal Himalaya). Love driving on them.

Unknown
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Bsuds wrote:I have all season M/S tires with the snowflake.

I am not spending over $1000. not including rims for snow tires when we drive less than 14k per year. Then another $200 per year to change them over. (I am getting too old to do myself)

Me too. Been running on BF Goodrich KO2 for years. Never had an issue and I'm up in the mountains often. I'm the one towing other people out of the ditch.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Catsumi wrote:Tyler, i did the 8 tire bit for years when i was still working and driving a lot. Now, I am an elderly woman who would rather not lug tires around and the related hassles for the small amount I drive. And further, on a limited income I don't fancy paying for the changeover twice a year which is overkill imo. However i will pay for maintenance as is due.

Alright, as long as it works for you. I made the assumption that you put the average 20,000kms/year on the vehicle.

I would recommend skipping the alignment however. Unless you've hit something (curb or nasty pothole) or uneven treadwear is observed - there is no reason for an expensive alignment.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

You are correct Tyler about wheel alignment, but I always ask the terrific guys at OK Tire (vernon) their opinion as I trust them to do the right thing by me and have never been disappointed. Unfortunately, (for my wallet) costly past experiences with other outfits have been a sad learning experience. Being a female skunk has never hindered them from picking my pockets! It's true, if you wear a skirt, you are prey. In my next incarnation I will elect to be a male, unless the tide has turned. You guys never ever get ripped off, do you?

[icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif]

This thread has become as entertaining as the Mad Pooper!

Even learned a little more about tires which wasn't on my mind at all.

Unknown
RustyCrayon
Board Meister

Post by RustyCrayon »

Catsumi wrote:You are correct Tyler about wheel alignment, but I always ask the terrific guys at OK Tire (vernon) their opinion as I trust them to do the right thing by me and have never been disappointed. Unfortunately, (for my wallet) costly past experiences with other outfits have been a sad learning experience. Being a female skunk has never hindered them from picking my pockets! It's true, if you wear a skirt, you are prey. In my next incarnation I will elect to be a male, unless the tide has turned. You guys never ever get ripped off, do you?

[icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif]

This thread has become as entertaining as the Mad Pooper!

Even learned a little more about tires which wasn't on my mind at all.

?
I'm going to have to do a search for the "Mad Pooper"....
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

RustyCrayon wrote:?
I'm going to have to do a search for the "Mad Pooper"....

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=74608
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Be patient, dear followers of the Mad Pooper investigations. I am outlining the next segment in this mystery but must imbibe a little more vino so that the creative juices flow downhill in this saga.

Tires can wait.

Unknown

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”