Tire Manufacturers Reducing Tire Life

Home of the traffic rant.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Re: Tire Manufacturers Reducing Tire Life

Post by TylerM4 »

Catsumi wrote:Over my long driving career I have seen evidence of blown tires, in shreds and tangles on the roadsides. These are presumably from those big rigs, 18 wheelers and such.

Anyone out there with knowledge to explain how they can blow tires to smithereens on straight smooth stretches. I've always wondered.

Happy to oblige. You are right - it typically only happens (Tires blown to smithereens) on big rigs with dually axles.

What happens is that when 1 of the 2 tires starts to go flat (Over heated, puncture, whatever the reason) the other inflated/healthy tire on the dually keeps the flat tire/wheel from "riding on the rim". The flat tire starts to "slap" the road surface. It starts with a small slap but escalates rapidly to a violent slapping. Within seconds the stress of the slapping action causes the tire to blow apart in chunks.

The same thing can happen with dually pickup trucks however the smaller size of the tire results in a less violent slapping action and since it's on the truck rather than a trailer, the driver usually notices something is wrong and pulls over before the tire is strewn all over the road.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Thank you for the clear explanation, Tyler and Bsuds, both.

I will now impress my pals with my newfound wisdom (if I can somehow bring the subject up in conversation.)

It must be a sight to see when it's happening.
:up:
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Catsumi wrote:It must be a sight to see when it's happening.

Blew one on my 5th wheel last year. It sounded like an explosion and looked the same out my side view mirror.
I prefer it not happen again. We were lucky that it didn't do much damage to our unit, it could have been much worse.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

I've seen a lot of damage done to rigs. It is a violent reaction that you don't want to be near when it happens. I've never seen it but I'm sure that sometimes someone is in the immediate area when it happens and probably needs a bathroom break afterwards.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Smurf wrote:I've seen a lot of damage done to rigs. It is a violent reaction that you don't want to be near when it happens. I've never seen it but I'm sure that sometimes someone is in the immediate area when it happens and probably needs a bathroom break afterwards.

A nice hot shower! :smt045
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

Catsumi wrote:Thank you for the clear explanation, Tyler and Bsuds, both.

I will now impress my pals with my newfound wisdom (if I can somehow bring the subject up in conversation.)

Not when you are on a motorcycle !
I try to get ahead of them if the tires are making a lot of noise.
Good rigs with good tires are so silent these days, they can come up beside you on your bike, without even hearing them !
In Utah they all run 70 mph or faster, even the triple trailer rigs.
Cant say I saw an excessive amount if gators or other tire bits on my trip to Colorado. .. maybe less retreads?
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

60-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:
Catsumi wrote:Thank you for the clear explanation, Tyler and Bsuds, both.

Not when you are on a motorcycle !
I try to get ahead of them if the tires are making a lot of noise.
Good rigs with good tires are so silent these days, they can come up beside you on your bike, without even hearing them !
In Utah they all run 70 mph or faster, even the triple trailer rigs.
Cant say I saw an excessive amount if gators or other tire bits on my trip to Colorado. .. maybe less retreads?

Ha! Come to think of it, when I drove to New Mexico I don't recall seeing shredded tires all over the roads, and that was a LONG drive! Maybe they clean up roadsides more often?

While I was down that way I purchased expensive winter tires with deep treads, unavailable here, and drive on them year round. No more switching back and forth summer to winters twice a year. My old winter tires lasted six years with this method which would have "expired" due to their age whether I drove much on them or not.

recently on the news hour it was said that winters are best performers for all year around use. Apparently they corner better and have better grip on wet roads than summers do which I can attest to.

I feel vindicated on my purchase of those expensive tires.

Ride safe and be wary of

Flap, flap, whoosh, kerbang !! :smt045

An aside remark. Did you notice how clean the roadsides were in USA? When passing through all the States to my destination the posted fines for littering were astronomical, $1,000.00 or more. Then, when I reached the New Mexico border no antilittering signs, and, you can see it coming...the trash consisting of food wrappers, bottles of all kinds, diapers!! everywhere. Just shows that substantial fines work. I also saw lots of marked and unmarked patrol cars doing their diligence. Can't recall when last there were that many on OUR highways.

:biggrin:
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Catsumi wrote:
While I was down that way I purchased expensive winter tires with deep treads, unavailable here, and drive on them year round. No more switching back and forth summer to winters twice a year. My old winter tires lasted six years with this method which would have "expired" due to their age whether I drove much on them or not.

recently on the news hour it was said that winters are best performers for all year around use. Apparently they corner better and have better grip on wet roads than summers do which I can attest to.

Having winter tires on during the summer can get you into a lot of trouble. They are made of a softer rubber, which makes them effective during cold temperatures, once the temperature rises (especially summer temperatures), they get much softer which then gives you a very mushy response in handling as you loose traction in turns and braking.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

I have not experienced what you describe Dizzy.

However, I am a little old lady who drives the speed limit and rarely takes corners on two wheels. :200: i use my gears rather than tromping on the brakes when going down steep hills.

Boring, yes, but safe!

Thanks for your kind concern though. I have been driving the roads for 55 years, no tickets, no accidents. (hope I didn't catch the attention of Bad luck demons).

Unknown
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Catsumi wrote:I have not experienced what you describe Dizzy.

However, I am a little old lady who drives the speed limit and rarely takes corners on two wheels. :200: i use my gears rather than tromping on the brakes when going down steep hills.

Boring, yes, but safe!

Thanks for your kind concern though. I have been driving the roads for 55 years, no tickets, no accidents. (hope I didn't catch the attention of Bad luck demons).

Driving the speed limit has nothing to do with it, winter tires in the summer increase your braking distance by quite a bit - all it takes is one kid running into the street in front of you.

Its because of these kind of attitudes and lack of common sense that we need laws governing the required equipment on vehicles.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Now that I am retired I drive less than 5,000 kms per year. My tires are just fine as I don't drive like an idiot, as I thought you'd pick up on from my last post.

Your inference that I have "attitude" and "lack of common sense" was totally uncalled for and rude.

Unknown
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Catsumi wrote:Now that I am retired I drive less than 5,000 kms per year. My tires are just fine as I don't drive like an idiot, as I thought you'd pick up on from my last post.

Your inference that I have "attitude" and "lack of common sense" was totally uncalled for and rude.

No offence, but using improper equipment for your vehicle that directly effects your vehicles handling and safety, is attitude and a lack of common sense. Using the excuse that you only drive “X” amount of kilometres or driving the speed limit amplifies that.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Go to Wheels.ca and John Mahler's articles re winter tires used in summer. He says that we have been oversold on the idea that winter tires deteriorate in hot conditions very quickly as over the past few years the technology and the compounds used in manufacturing tires has improved significantly. The most important thing is tire pressure which should be checked regularly, driving to road conditions, and not challenging winter tires in hot conditions by driving fast, slamming on brakes, cornerning hard, etc.

The road tests for stopping distances were performed at 60 MPH which would be outrageous speeding in the small town driving I do now.

Globe and Mail, Nov. 15, 2016. RAynald Marchand, General Manager of Canada Safety Council admits to driving annually to Florida from Ottawa and back, using snow tires to drive around Florida (15,000 kms). Reports No problems.

I now drive 3000 kms annually, drive like a sane person and have a 55 year pristine driving record so must be doing something right.

Tire companies will of course do their best to scare you into buying more tires even if, such as in my case, the winters will be fine year round.

Unknown
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

My winter mountain pass driving is done (if I need to go to the coast or east during winter, I will fly & rent a vehicle).
Once my current summer & winter tires need to be replaced, I will be buying All Weather tires they have the mountain snowflake. They will be more then enough for driving up & down the valley in the winter.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

Catsumi..........I have also driven my winter tires well into the summer and up to the late fall. BUT........I drove them because their winter "capabilities" were finished and I may as well get more mileage out of them as a summer tire. Not all winter tires have the soft compound the entire depth of the sipe and when that is worn off you now have a "summer" tire.

Heat does cause a winter or ice radial to wear prematurely........in saying that the "All-Weather" tires that you are told can be driven year round are also susceptible to premature wear if driven in hot climates. All-Weathers are fine in Vancouver, Seattle, Calgary but the Okanagan is TOO hot. 5 years ago Nokian was the first with the All-Weathers and Kal Tire was the exclusive dealer for the brand and depending who you talked to there they agreed "when questioned" about using them in the Okanagan. I will tell you that I have not kept up with All-Weather tire technology of late and MAYBE they can handle more heat...........but I doubt it.

Bottom line..........the more tires they can sell and sooner, the better for their bottom line.

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”