Elecric Car Dreaming

Home of the traffic rant.
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Elecric Car Dreaming

Post by Grandan »

Electric Car Dreaming
https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#209325
The author claims there is not enough lithium to make enough batteries for electric cars for just Americans alone.
This guy thinks otherwise:
http://large.stanford.edu/courses/2010/ph240/eason2/
Who am I going to believe?
Waste not
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Elecric Car Dreaming

Post by GordonH »

Push for more hydrogen fuel stations, then purchase fuel cell vehicle who needs a vehicle full of batteries. Exhaust water vapours

Hyundai has a fuel cell vehicle
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

Flying cars.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
spooker

Post by spooker »

You can find both views all over the internet ... but no matter the reality, I'm hoping that we've learned from our experience with oil in that we need to start finding alternatives before the levels reach a critical stage, or we'll see another monopoly get stupid-rich off the supply/demand imbalance ...
atenbacon
Übergod

Post by atenbacon »

spooker wrote:You can find both views all over the internet ... but no matter the reality, I'm hoping that we've learned from our experience with oil in that we need to start finding alternatives before the levels reach a critical stage, or we'll see another monopoly get stupid-rich off the supply/demand imbalance ...

What experience with oil? I agree with finding alternatives, but more so if the alternatives are cleaner, more cost effective to the consumer and the energy produced offsets the materials required to produce said technology. Alternative energy has come a long way in the last few years, and is improving at a good pace. If you are expecting some "critical stage" to happen with oil... extraction of that resource has also come leaps and bounds from the old days of peak oil, in fact to the point of the timeline moving much farther than the previously predicted 1969 date of peak oil.. If anything, with alternative technology coming online that supply is looking like it will easily out do the demand for a long time to come.

A pretty good article here:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesconca ... 332f2f4220
You have to keep an open mind until it is proven one way or the other. You just can't take the T.V. or internet word on it.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

They say there's 168,000 retail locations that sell fuel to the public in the US alone.
Whatever form of energy wins over will somehow need to be the gift that keeps giving to these locations, the result won't necessarily make sense.

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”