Good news for responsible drivers (distracted driving)

Home of the traffic rant.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Put down your cells phones!

Post by Dizzy1 »

Jhunter199 wrote:
Why is it that there is always that 1 person that wants to find a tiny negative and blow it up?
Did she say she was speeding on highways passing people to see if they were on their phones? Nope. It doesnt take much to see someone on their phone while around town, its quite obvious!!! and then all they had to do was count 1, 2, 3, 4 etc.

Lmao lol. Distracted driving is distracted driving - doesn’t have to involve a phone. :up:
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Ken7 wrote:I think they have to up the penalty, and points against those who are using their phones. I do not know if they do, but the phone should be seized as evidence and held for court. Most court cases are all of 30 days from offense date.

That seizure in itself would be a killer on the fools who can not leave it in their passengers seat.

I agree with you Ken 7. A delayed impact doesn't create the deterrent. We're already dealing with an individual that seeks instant gratification by illegally using their device.

I'm sure many, who have heard of this change, don't really know what it is or how it is administered.

There are certain offenses that ICBC has designated to be subject to the Driver Risk Premium Program

http://www.icbc.com/brochures/Pages/pen ... miums.aspx

Each category has a price BUT, the fine is calculated once a year. So if a driver has 4 or more penalty points they get a premium for that and at the same time the number of offenses contained in the Driver Risk Premium Program are added to the penalty points premium.

I don't know why the government didn't just double the fine for the first offense, and double that for the second and double that for the third, at which time (the 3rd) I say don't impound the phone, the entire car ! They will need the phone to call a friend, or a taxi for a ride.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Jhunter199 wrote:
Why is it that there is always that 1 person that wants to find a tiny negative and blow it up?
Did she say she was speeding on highways passing people to see if they were on their phones? Nope. It doesnt take much to see someone on their phone while around town, its quite obvious!!! and then all they had to do was count 1, 2, 3, 4 etc.

Likely a offender. I see a lot when I drive, why because I'm looking out for the poor driver. The one who drifts around corners into the outside lane, the texter who is using two lanes of traffic, I personally don't have tunnel vision and usually see the light change well in advance so I don't have to slam my breaks on.

We truly have many poor drivers in this city. It would be interesting to know number of accidents in this city and compare it to others of it's size. I think we fail on that one.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Good news for responsible drivers (distracted driving)

Post by Dizzy1 »

It’s one thing to pay attention to other vehicles around you but another thing completely different to actively look for people on the phone and make a “game” out of it.

Keep the defence coming in tho. It’s just as entertaining as those who say it’s ok to stay in the left lane because they’re doing the speed limit lmao lol
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Jhunter199
Fledgling

Post by Jhunter199 »

Dizzy1 wrote:

Lmao lol. Distracted driving is distracted driving - doesn’t have to involve a phone. :up:[/quote]

I believe there is a major difference between "distracted driving" and just being an observant driver. I would imagine that you fully follow that concept... No singing to the radio, no talking with a passenger, no looking along the side of the road, no having a coffee or water while the vehicle is moving...

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”