Dear residents of The Lakes

Home of the traffic rant.
Wolfin

Dear residents of The Lakes

Post by Wolfin »

I know it's not likely any of you read this forum, but I need a relevant place to rant, so here goes.

If you want to get home faster, TAKE THE HIGHWAY. I can't count how many times I've been tailgated heading north on Okanagan Center Rd. by one of you. I understand you think you're better than everyone else because you live higher up in a more expensive house. This doesn't give you the right to speed or to tailgate. Take your chill pills. Next time it happens I am slowing to a stop.

Sincerely,
Someone who has to share the *bleep* road with you.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Re: Dear residents of The Lakes

Post by WalterWhite »

Lol - apparently the censor is down - $0.25 in the swear jar please.
Do you know for a fact the tailgater in question is in fact an inhabitant of the Lakes? Does perceived social status dictate whether one is more or less prone to tailgating/speeding?
Last edited by WalterWhite on Nov 7th, 2017, 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

I suggest every time it happens, you pull over, get their plate number, and call it in to Central Okanagan Traffic Services.

And bravo! Great rant. Most of us are tired of these clowns.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

WalterWhite wrote:Lol - apparently the censor is down

Tested it and it's working ok. What gives? Could'a been some fun tonight.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Nice to know this "problem" isn't restricted to Benvoulin Rd .... Or Gordon Dr. ... Or Lakeshore ....or KLO .. Springfield ....Rutland rd....

Etc. , etc ....
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

lightspeed wrote:I suggest every time it happens, you pull over, get their plate number, and call it in to Central Okanagan Traffic Services.

I recall about 20 years ago (yes, twas even a problem back then) I got tired of clowns tailgating, so I installed an aircraft landing light on my rear bumper with a toggle switch on the dash. When someone was breathing down my tailpipe, just threw on the switch and they backed off right friggin now. Cop pulls you over; just tell them that its a backup light. Worked for me.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

pentona wrote:
lightspeed wrote:I suggest every time it happens, you pull over, get their plate number, and call it in to Central Okanagan Traffic Services.

I recall about 20 years ago (yes, twas even a problem back then) I got tired of clowns tailgating, so I installed an aircraft landing light on my rear bumper with a toggle switch on the dash. When someone was breathing down my tailpipe, just threw on the switch and they backed off right friggin now. Cop pulls you over; just tell them that its a backup light. Worked for me.

Yea, highly recommend one does not follow this "advice". No illegal lights in their face (yes, aircraft landing lights are illegal equipment on any vehicle); no brake checks; no stopping in the middle of the road. Why do some drivers feel the best way to counter aggressive driving - is to commit additional driving infractions/aggressive driving. If you're that bent out of shape by someone else's driving, record the license number and report their actions as others have said. Save yourself a whole lot of hassle - and needless stress and simply pull over, let them pass and carry on continuing to enjoy the beautiful views on OK Center Rd.
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

It was 20+ years ago; young and stupid but it did indeed do the trick, plus it was one heck of a great backup light. Yes, aircraft landing lights are illegal nowadays (unless covered on the streets) but a less bright light with a switch would send the same message - back off.
Its not always possible to pull over right away on a narrow/dark two-lane road, especially one like Westside as an example. Getting a license plate number when someone is behind you; pretty tough to do and when you do get to pull over, they go by at light speed - again difficult to grab the plate numbers. If everyone kept to the speed limits, there would not be a problem.
RustyCrayon
Board Meister

Post by RustyCrayon »

pentona wrote:It was 20+ years ago; young and stupid but it did indeed do the trick, plus it was one heck of a great backup light. Yes, aircraft landing lights are illegal nowadays (unless covered on the streets) but a less bright light with a switch would send the same message - back off.
Its not always possible to pull over right away on a narrow/dark two-lane road, especially one like Westside as an example. Getting a license plate number when someone is behind you; pretty tough to do and when you do get to pull over, they go by at light speed - again difficult to grab the plate numbers. If everyone kept to the speed limits, there would not be a problem.

My brother had the rear mounted aircraft landing light on his truck in the early/mid 90s as well.
Worked like a charm.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

MAPearce wrote:Nice to know this "problem" isn't restricted to Benvoulin Rd .... Or Gordon Dr. ... Or Lakeshore ....or KLO .. Springfield ....Rutland rd....

Etc. , etc ....

Those folks from The Lakes sure get around. I hear they are in other areas of the world too!

It’s fascinating how the OP has some sort of social inferiority complex based on the perception of where the tailgaters must live, that they tailgate based on their home location and some sort of feeling of superiority based on that location, and the geodetic elevation of the tailgaters homes.

Either pull over if it bugs you so much or go the speed limit and mellow out.....gain some confidence in your own life rather than stressing about someone else’s perceived elevated social status based on their home elevation.
You and 71 others Like this post
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

It's amazing what you buy off the internet these days.
Bring back the LIKE button.
monroe
Übergod

Post by monroe »

^^ Were those lights in the bumper flashing blue? Might have been the camera or angle but they looked blue.
" ... Kind of weird but hey, weird is normal on castanet " - LANDM
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

monroe wrote:^^ Were those lights in the bumper flashing blue? Might have been the camera or angle but they looked blue.

The colors are adjustable on the remote. Yes, I know that is illegal.
Bring back the LIKE button.

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”