New roundabout on Rutland Road

Home of the traffic rant.

New roundabout on Rutland Road

Postby 2castanet » Nov 20th, 2017, 10:25 am

Not sure who in the Ministry of Transport is responsible for designing a roundabout on this extremely busy intersection where big trucks will take up the whole roundabout and everyone who does not know how to use these will create such a bottleneck. They need to get out of the office and watch what happens at that corner in real life. I am predicting disaster!

voice of reason likes this post.
2castanet

Liked in: 6 posts

Re: New roundabout on Rutland Road

Postby gman313 » Nov 20th, 2017, 11:04 am

LOL i'm sure you know more than everyone else

3 people like this post.
gman313
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 949 posts

Postby spooker » Nov 20th, 2017, 11:13 am

Why would you expect a lot of trucks to use this? Seems like trucks would want to use Edwards in the future to enter the area instead of Sexsmith ... historical usage doesn't necessarily mean that will continue to happen when the new roundabout is in place
--
Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. -- Plato
spooker
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 524 posts

Postby Bsuds » Nov 20th, 2017, 11:35 am

Rutland Rd is a designated truck route so would be used heavily by them but I don't think the roundabout will cause a problem when used properly.

People are getting used to using them as more are built and they do let traffic move smoother.

Noe if we could only get some drivers to signal properly.
Deja Poo, the feeling I've heard all this crap before!

3 people like this post.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Liked in: 9423 posts

Postby Rwede » Nov 20th, 2017, 11:40 am

Even the most basic city roundabouts are engineered to accommodate a 53 footer.

When I travel Europe and see the wonderfully functioning roundabouts there, then see the desperation and boo hoo here about them, I shake my head.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.

Btfsplck likes this post.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 5115 posts

Postby Queen K » Nov 20th, 2017, 11:45 am

Remember the "hooo hawww" up in Clearwater about a roundabout being installed on the highway? Businessmen claimed it would "confuse people and they wouldn't know how to use it."

Ya, no news stories come from there about trucks stuck in the roundabout for days.

And they won't happen here either.
If you have castanet friends on your facebook friend list, set your privacy setting on the friend list as "Only me." Just call, "Nagging Internet Wife" for all your problem nemesis'.

2 people like this post.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Liked in: 10712 posts

Postby alanjh595 » Nov 20th, 2017, 11:46 am

I used the roundabout at Valley and Cross Rd. many times. I am astonished at how many tire tracks are all over the inner circle, and how close they are to the center of the island.
alanjh595
Übergod

Liked in: 1019 posts

Postby lensbaby » Nov 20th, 2017, 11:49 am

2castanet wrote:Not sure who in the Ministry of Transport is responsible for designing a roundabout on this extremely busy intersection where big trucks will take up the whole roundabout and everyone who does not know how to use these will create such a bottleneck. They need to get out of the office and watch what happens at that corner in real life. I am predicting disaster!

They work fine just everywhere else on the planet. Can't choose not to build it because some drivers don't know how to use them. Education and enforcement would soon take care of that.

vegas1500 likes this post.
lensbaby

Liked in: 19 posts

Postby syron » Nov 20th, 2017, 11:57 am

All Roundabouts are designed for truck traffic.
I predict that anyone who thinks they aren't designed for trucks doesn't know how to use a Roundabout.
The issues with the traffic/intersection is why a Roundabout is being installed.
Last time I checked there was a truck in Fire truck.
The irritating part is the completion date for the Roundabout was Oct. 31, 2017.
syron

Liked in: 4 posts

Postby Queen K » Nov 20th, 2017, 12:11 pm

Are you kidding? Have you seen the amount of time it's taking to finish ONE block on Ethel Street? What are they using? Spoons?
If you have castanet friends on your facebook friend list, set your privacy setting on the friend list as "Only me." Just call, "Nagging Internet Wife" for all your problem nemesis'.

7 people like this post.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Liked in: 10712 posts

Postby AlienSoldier » Nov 20th, 2017, 1:19 pm

I love roundabouts! Helps me use up my old motorcycle tires and practice leaning. :biggrin:
AlienSoldier

Liked in: 66 posts

Postby TylerM4 » Nov 20th, 2017, 1:56 pm

Sorry to disagree OP but I think a roundabout in this location is a great idea. Trucks can indeed navigate them and everyone knows a roundabout is much more efficient than stop signs. Can't come soon enough.

2 people like this post.
TylerM4
Übergod

Liked in: 865 posts

Postby alanjh595 » Nov 20th, 2017, 1:59 pm

I like the round-a-bout at cross and Valley, much better than a 4-way stop.

2 people like this post.
alanjh595
Übergod

Liked in: 1019 posts

Postby Bman » Nov 20th, 2017, 2:20 pm

2castanet wrote:Not sure who in the Ministry of Transport is responsible for designing a roundabout on this extremely busy intersection where big trucks will take up the whole roundabout and everyone who does not know how to use these will create such a bottleneck. They need to get out of the office and watch what happens at that corner in real life. I am predicting disaster!

What do you think is a better alternative?
Is the world getting stupider, or is it just getting easier for stupid people to have their thoughts heard?
Bman
Mindquad

Liked in: 8627 posts

Postby LivinginKelowna » Nov 20th, 2017, 3:29 pm

Roundabouts are fantastic for moving traffic, there is no doubt about that.

There are some legitimate concerns though

The roundsbouts in this town are not large enough to accommodate effectively, trucks with more than one trailer. You see tracks over all of them simply because they are just that, not large enough.

The fear that I have regarding the proposed solution is when there is a red light at 97, the traffic is going to back all the way to the roundabout, then the people will be stopped and effectively trapped in it until the next green.

Before the westbound traffic on Old Vernon would be backed up past the CanAm building and the Northbound traffic on Rutland Road would be backed up to, and sometimes past Commercial. Now we will be funneling all of the traffic onto Old Vernon and I think it will be to the roundabout.
LivinginKelowna
Board Meister

Liked in: 26 posts

Next

Return to Trials & Tribulations of Traffic