Plate Tags

Home of the traffic rant.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Re: Plate Tags

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

Sounds like thd old BC Concept that you have XX amount if days to register a newly purchased vehicles and that you are covered by putting your other plate on it...
I Think..not...... NO coverage. ..
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

60-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:Sounds like thd old BC Concept that you have XX amount if days to register a newly purchased vehicles and that you are covered by putting your other plate on it...
I Think..not...... NO coverage. ..

From the ICBC website:

If you buy another car to replace your broken-down one, you have up to 10 days after buying that car to visit an Autoplan broker and transfer coverage on the vehicles. During that time, you can use the old plates (as long as it’s the same type of plate—for example, you’re not attaching passenger vehicle plates to a commercial vehicle).
If you still own the broken-down vehicle, you’ll have to visit an Autoplan broker to transfer the licence and insurance before you can move the plates to another vehicle.

http://www.icbc.com/FAQ/Pages/licence-plates.aspx#
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

TreeGuy wrote:From the ICBC website:

If you buy another car to replace your broken-down one, you have up to 10 days after buying that car to visit an Autoplan broker and transfer coverage on the vehicles. During that time, you can use the old plates (as long as it’s the same type of plate—for example, you’re not attaching passenger vehicle plates to a commercial vehicle).
If you still own the broken-down vehicle, you’ll have to visit an Autoplan broker to transfer the licence and insurance before you can move the plates to another vehicle.

http://www.icbc.com/FAQ/Pages/licence-plates.aspx#

Yes, TreeGuy, the VERY IMPORTANT part of this is that you have to transfer the plates FROM the broken down one.

It leaves one to wonder, "if you are going to the Autoplan Agent to transfer the plates/insurance from the broken down vehicle to an "unattached" status, why not just register the newly purchased vehicle ?

The other scenario would be, if you sold the first vehicle and you knew (ie, you went with the new buyer and transferred your old vehicle to him/her) you could put the plates from that vehicle on another vehicle and not register that newly purchased vehicle for 10 days.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”