Daytime running lights, and no front plates

Home of the traffic rant.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Daytime running lights, and no front plates

Post by Dizzy1 »

Bsuds wrote:
Not with Volkswagon. They use the ABS sensors to determine the tire speed.

http://www.donaldsonsvw.com/blog/how-do ... nsor-work/

When you put the snow tires on you go into the menu and tell the on-board computer and it adjusts accordingly.

Yup - super simple to reset the menu. Beats the more traditional system where you get a low pressure warning on a constant basis.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

Dizzy1 wrote:As for front plates - time to get rid of them. Too many cars nowadays don't have a proper place for them anymore without blocking/disrupting airflow into the engine - and with turbo charged cars becoming more and more popular, good airflow into the radiator/intercooler is a good thing.

So what about UK where turbo charging has been around for years and front plates are mandatory. Doesn't seem to be a problem over there. I had a Subaru WRX with front BC plate, again no problem??
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

dodgerdodge wrote:
So what about UK where turbo charging has been around for years and front plates are mandatory. Doesn't seem to be a problem over there. I had a Subaru WRX with front BC plate, again no problem??

This part ...

Dizzy1 wrote:Too many cars nowadays

As far as your WRX goes - didn't say you'd have a problem but it does effect performance ...

http://www.vwvortex.com/aftermarket-and ... orsepower/

... this is the very reason why cars such as the Golf R do not have factory equipped fog lights as they restrict the required airflow and it also highly recommends not to attach the a front plate to the front or side grills as it will decrease performance.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Interestingly, we've been having this very discussion (front plates) over the last few days with some business associates.

We've been in 3 States the last few days, and for some reason, we made observations in regards to newer cars and where to display the front plate which brought in the discussion on different States/Provinces and different laws.

For example ...

In Arizona, you only are required to display the rear plate.

In Nevada, you are required to display both front and rear plates unless your vehicle is not designed to mount a front plate or if the dealer does not provide you with a front plate mounting bracket.

In Ohio, you are required to display both front and rear plates.

Take the new generation of Lexus as an example, the front is all grill, there is no proper place to mount a front plate, and even though I'm not a Lexus fan, putting a front plate on a grill like that looks ridiculously horrible - and yes, I'm in the opinion that a car, is designed to look ascetically pleasing to the eye (especially at that price point) and is one of the key factors in our purchase decision making when buying a car which is why car manufacturers spend 10s of millions of dollars every year designing their cars . Add to that, Sensors along the front for park assist, adaptive cruise control, lane assist and collision avoidance is making it more tricky on some cars to add a front plate.

And in all honesty, there really is no real argument to have a front plate - making your vehicle more easily identifiable by the RCMP, sorry I don't buy that. If other jurisdictions can easily work around that, so can we.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

I noticed the pig tail was burnt out on my passenger side daytime running light. Went to wheels truck parts. Got 2 pigtails and wired one in too replace the old one. Now i have daytime running lights
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Dizzy1 wrote:Interestingly, we've been having this very discussion (front plates) over the last few days with some business associates.

We've been in 3 States the last few days, and for some reason, we made observations in regards to newer cars and where to display the front plate which brought in the discussion on different States/Provinces and different laws.

For example ...

In Arizona, you only are required to display the rear plate.

In Nevada, you are required to display both front and rear plates unless your vehicle is not designed to mount a front plate or if the dealer does not provide you with a front plate mounting bracket.

In Ohio, you are required to display both front and rear plates.

Take the new generation of Lexus as an example, the front is all grill, there is no proper place to mount a front plate, and even though I'm not a Lexus fan, putting a front plate on a grill like that looks ridiculously horrible - and yes, I'm in the opinion that a car, is designed to look ascetically pleasing to the eye (especially at that price point) and is one of the key factors in our purchase decision making when buying a car which is why car manufacturers spend 10s of millions of dollars every year designing their cars . Add to that, Sensors along the front for park assist, adaptive cruise control, lane assist and collision avoidance is making it more tricky on some cars to add a front plate.

And in all honesty, there really is no real argument to have a front plate - making your vehicle more easily identifiable by the RCMP, sorry I don't buy that. If other jurisdictions can easily work around that, so can we.

Instead of stating, without any corroborating evidence, "If other jurisdictions can easily work around that, so can we.", you should take to the police in those jurisdictions.

If a second plate will apprehend just one criminal, or identify one hit and run suspect vehicle, I'm for leaving them on.

The argument that some vehicles aren't designed for front plates, should be filled with "We have to have noisy pipes on our motorcycles for safety", argument.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Daytime running lights became mandatory in Canada in 1996. They are not mandatory in the US to this day. Brand new F150's (Most common vehicle in north america) don't have DRL's enabled in the US.

Front plate is one of those things that the RCMP will only harass you about if they've already pulled you over for a different reason or if they're suspicious of you and looking for a reason to pull you over.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Why would anybody bother not having front plates on someone's car (unless you're a police officer)?

It's not endangering anybody.

Learn to mind your own business.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Dizzy1 wrote: not to attach the a front plate to the front or side grills as it will decrease performance.

Then simply remove it for track days...

Nowhere on public roadways would anyone notice the change in horsepower,
response, or aerodynamics.

And even the most seasoned, veteran racers, would likely not notice these same things
even on a closed course.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Mitch85

Post by Mitch85 »

Even Steven wrote:Why would anybody bother not having front plates on someone's car (unless you're a police officer)?

It's not endangering anybody.

Learn to mind your own business.

ES,

Interesting point of view, but I respectfully disagree. It’s a law for a reason, and does make it easier to report stupid drivers doing stupid things.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

dirtybiker wrote:Then simply remove it for track days...

Nowhere on public roadways would anyone notice the change in horsepower,
response, or aerodynamics.

And even the most seasoned, veteran racers, would likely not notice these same things
even on a closed course.

That may be true, but when a manufacturer states not to obstruct an airflow area in the owners manual, there is a reason for that - if one notices a difference or not.

Also, I wanted to edit my one post for more clarification - I should have been more specific in regards to turbo charged cars - this is more applicable to higher performance vehicles. While you are very correct that the UK, and the rest of Europe has enjoyed turbo's for decades at the same time here it was only a swear word, however, its only been in the last decade that we've really seen an increase in high performance turbo vehicles (even more so in the last couple of years with the likes of the Ford RS, Golf R, Hyundai i30N, Civic Type R, WRX STI, etc.) that this has started to become more of an debate.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Mitch85 wrote:ES,

Interesting point of view, but I respectfully disagree. It’s a law for a reason, and does make it easier to report stupid drivers doing stupid things.

Laws become outdated.

It may be easier to report stupid drivers doing stupid things - but I'd like to know that statistics between two States/Provinces (one with the required front plate and one with out) as to how much more of a danger to the driving public axing the front plate is. As I stated previously, thats one argument I don't buy into.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

TylerM4 wrote:Daytime running lights became mandatory in Canada in 1996. They are not mandatory in the US to this day. Brand new F150's (Most common vehicle in north america) don't have DRL's enabled in the US.

January 1 1990 actually (for Canada). All new vehicles built in Canada or imported to Canada were required to have DRLs. Vehicles that were built/imported before then (and some other exceptions) still do not require any DRLs.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

my5cents wrote:
Instead of stating, without any corroborating evidence, "If other jurisdictions can easily work around that, so can we.", you should take to the police in those jurisdictions.

Do you have any corroborating evidence? Why should I talk to the Police, or insurance agents, or Joe Smith down the street - they'll only provide their opinions. Is there any documented statistical evidence that a State or Province with mandatory front plate has a higher success rate of catching a criminal solely due to having a front plate?
my5cents wrote:If a second plate will apprehend just one criminal, or identify one hit and run suspect vehicle, I'm for leaving them on.

Thats enough for you, and thats cool. That's not enough of an argument for me though.
my5cents wrote:The argument that some vehicles aren't designed for front plates, should be filled with "We have to have noisy pipes on our motorcycles for safety", argument.
I disagree - no front plate doesn't effect you in any way, shape or form what so ever - loud exhausts do.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Mitch85 wrote:It’s a law for a reason

Yes, it's against the law (rolling eyes emoji here).

But it's between the offender and the police officer. Police wannabees and old people who do nothing but criticize everybody around for breaking the law need not to worry.

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”