54889
52425

Daytime running lights, and no front plates

Home of the traffic rant.

Re: Daytime running lights, and no front plates

Postby Dizzy1 » Dec 8th, 2017, 9:53 pm

Bsuds wrote:
Not with Volkswagon. They use the ABS sensors to determine the tire speed.

http://www.donaldsonsvw.com/blog/how-do ... nsor-work/

When you put the snow tires on you go into the menu and tell the on-board computer and it adjusts accordingly.

Yup - super simple to reset the menu. Beats the more traditional system where you get a low pressure warning on a constant basis.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water
 
Posts: 10778
Likes: 4507 posts
Liked in: 5130 posts
Joined: Feb 12th, 2011, 2:56 pm

Re: Daytime running lights, and no front plates

Postby dodgerdodge » Dec 9th, 2017, 12:16 am

Dizzy1 wrote:As for front plates - time to get rid of them. Too many cars nowadays don't have a proper place for them anymore without blocking/disrupting airflow into the engine - and with turbo charged cars becoming more and more popular, good airflow into the radiator/intercooler is a good thing.


So what about UK where turbo charging has been around for years and front plates are mandatory. Doesn't seem to be a problem over there. I had a Subaru WRX with front BC plate, again no problem??

Mitch85 likes this post.
dodgerdodge
Übergod
 
Posts: 1484
Likes: 106 posts
Liked in: 375 posts
Joined: Jun 9th, 2010, 7:35 am

Re: Daytime running lights, and no front plates

Postby Dizzy1 » Dec 9th, 2017, 12:27 am

dodgerdodge wrote:
So what about UK where turbo charging has been around for years and front plates are mandatory. Doesn't seem to be a problem over there. I had a Subaru WRX with front BC plate, again no problem??

This part ...

Dizzy1 wrote:Too many cars nowadays


As far as your WRX goes - didn't say you'd have a problem but it does effect performance ...

http://www.vwvortex.com/aftermarket-and ... orsepower/

... this is the very reason why cars such as the Golf R do not have factory equipped fog lights as they restrict the required airflow and it also highly recommends not to attach the a front plate to the front or side grills as it will decrease performance.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water
 
Posts: 10778
Likes: 4507 posts
Liked in: 5130 posts
Joined: Feb 12th, 2011, 2:56 pm

Re: Daytime running lights, and no front plates

Postby Dizzy1 » Dec 9th, 2017, 12:40 am

Interestingly, we've been having this very discussion (front plates) over the last few days with some business associates.

We've been in 3 States the last few days, and for some reason, we made observations in regards to newer cars and where to display the front plate which brought in the discussion on different States/Provinces and different laws.

For example ...

In Arizona, you only are required to display the rear plate.

In Nevada, you are required to display both front and rear plates unless your vehicle is not designed to mount a front plate or if the dealer does not provide you with a front plate mounting bracket.

In Ohio, you are required to display both front and rear plates.

Take the new generation of Lexus as an example, the front is all grill, there is no proper place to mount a front plate, and even though I'm not a Lexus fan, putting a front plate on a grill like that looks ridiculously horrible - and yes, I'm in the opinion that a car, is designed to look ascetically pleasing to the eye (especially at that price point) and is one of the key factors in our purchase decision making when buying a car which is why car manufacturers spend 10s of millions of dollars every year designing their cars . Add to that, Sensors along the front for park assist, adaptive cruise control, lane assist and collision avoidance is making it more tricky on some cars to add a front plate.

And in all honesty, there really is no real argument to have a front plate - making your vehicle more easily identifiable by the RCMP, sorry I don't buy that. If other jurisdictions can easily work around that, so can we.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.

2 people like this post.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water
 
Posts: 10778
Likes: 4507 posts
Liked in: 5130 posts
Joined: Feb 12th, 2011, 2:56 pm

Re: Daytime running lights, and no front plates

Postby Jflem1983 » Dec 9th, 2017, 8:12 am

I noticed the pig tail was burnt out on my passenger side daytime running light. Went to wheels truck parts. Got 2 pigtails and wired one in too replace the old one. Now i have daytime running lights
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"

dirtybiker likes this post.
User avatar
Jflem1983
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3529
Likes: 6967 posts
Liked in: 2040 posts
Joined: Aug 23rd, 2015, 11:38 am

Re: Daytime running lights, and no front plates

Postby my5cents » Dec 9th, 2017, 9:13 am

Dizzy1 wrote:Interestingly, we've been having this very discussion (front plates) over the last few days with some business associates.

We've been in 3 States the last few days, and for some reason, we made observations in regards to newer cars and where to display the front plate which brought in the discussion on different States/Provinces and different laws.

For example ...

In Arizona, you only are required to display the rear plate.

In Nevada, you are required to display both front and rear plates unless your vehicle is not designed to mount a front plate or if the dealer does not provide you with a front plate mounting bracket.

In Ohio, you are required to display both front and rear plates.

Take the new generation of Lexus as an example, the front is all grill, there is no proper place to mount a front plate, and even though I'm not a Lexus fan, putting a front plate on a grill like that looks ridiculously horrible - and yes, I'm in the opinion that a car, is designed to look ascetically pleasing to the eye (especially at that price point) and is one of the key factors in our purchase decision making when buying a car which is why car manufacturers spend 10s of millions of dollars every year designing their cars . Add to that, Sensors along the front for park assist, adaptive cruise control, lane assist and collision avoidance is making it more tricky on some cars to add a front plate.

And in all honesty, there really is no real argument to have a front plate - making your vehicle more easily identifiable by the RCMP, sorry I don't buy that. If other jurisdictions can easily work around that, so can we.


Instead of stating, without any corroborating evidence, "If other jurisdictions can easily work around that, so can we.", you should take to the police in those jurisdictions.

If a second plate will apprehend just one criminal, or identify one hit and run suspect vehicle, I'm for leaving them on.

The argument that some vehicles aren't designed for front plates, should be filled with "We have to have noisy pipes on our motorcycles for safety", argument.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"

2 people like this post.
my5cents
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3465
Likes: 682 posts
Liked in: 1032 posts
Joined: Nov 14th, 2009, 3:22 pm

Re: Daytime running lights, and no front plates

Postby TylerM4 » Dec 9th, 2017, 11:21 am

Daytime running lights became mandatory in Canada in 1996. They are not mandatory in the US to this day. Brand new F150's (Most common vehicle in north america) don't have DRL's enabled in the US.

Front plate is one of those things that the RCMP will only harass you about if they've already pulled you over for a different reason or if they're suspicious of you and looking for a reason to pull you over.
TylerM4
Übergod
 
Posts: 1220
Likes: 283 posts
Liked in: 931 posts
Joined: Feb 27th, 2014, 4:22 pm

Re: Daytime running lights, and no front plates

Postby Even Steven » Dec 9th, 2017, 11:23 am

Why would anybody bother not having front plates on someone's car (unless you're a police officer)?

It's not endangering anybody.

Learn to mind your own business.

2 people like this post.
Even Steven
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2530
Likes: 164 posts
Liked in: 1828 posts
Joined: Mar 24th, 2015, 7:20 pm

Re: Daytime running lights, and no front plates

Postby dirtybiker » Dec 9th, 2017, 11:29 am

Dizzy1 wrote: not to attach the a front plate to the front or side grills as it will decrease performance.


Then simply remove it for track days...

Nowhere on public roadways would anyone notice the change in horsepower,
response, or aerodynamics.

And even the most seasoned, veteran racers, would likely not notice these same things
even on a closed course.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"

Mitch85 likes this post.
dirtybiker
Guru
 
Posts: 6339
Likes: 5365 posts
Liked in: 2763 posts
Joined: Mar 8th, 2008, 7:00 pm
Location: Central OK

Re: Daytime running lights, and no front plates

Postby Mitch85 » Dec 9th, 2017, 1:07 pm

Even Steven wrote:Why would anybody bother not having front plates on someone's car (unless you're a police officer)?

It's not endangering anybody.

Learn to mind your own business.


ES,

Interesting point of view, but I respectfully disagree. It’s a law for a reason, and does make it easier to report stupid drivers doing stupid things.

my5cents likes this post.
Mitch85
 
Posts: 28
Likes: 6 posts
Liked in: 30 posts
Joined: Jul 14th, 2016, 9:06 am

Re: Daytime running lights, and no front plates

Postby Dizzy1 » Dec 9th, 2017, 3:13 pm

dirtybiker wrote:Then simply remove it for track days...

Nowhere on public roadways would anyone notice the change in horsepower,
response, or aerodynamics.

And even the most seasoned, veteran racers, would likely not notice these same things
even on a closed course.

That may be true, but when a manufacturer states not to obstruct an airflow area in the owners manual, there is a reason for that - if one notices a difference or not.

Also, I wanted to edit my one post for more clarification - I should have been more specific in regards to turbo charged cars - this is more applicable to higher performance vehicles. While you are very correct that the UK, and the rest of Europe has enjoyed turbo's for decades at the same time here it was only a swear word, however, its only been in the last decade that we've really seen an increase in high performance turbo vehicles (even more so in the last couple of years with the likes of the Ford RS, Golf R, Hyundai i30N, Civic Type R, WRX STI, etc.) that this has started to become more of an debate.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water
 
Posts: 10778
Likes: 4507 posts
Liked in: 5130 posts
Joined: Feb 12th, 2011, 2:56 pm

Re: Daytime running lights, and no front plates

Postby Dizzy1 » Dec 9th, 2017, 3:15 pm

Mitch85 wrote:ES,

Interesting point of view, but I respectfully disagree. It’s a law for a reason, and does make it easier to report stupid drivers doing stupid things.

Laws become outdated.

It may be easier to report stupid drivers doing stupid things - but I'd like to know that statistics between two States/Provinces (one with the required front plate and one with out) as to how much more of a danger to the driving public axing the front plate is. As I stated previously, thats one argument I don't buy into.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water
 
Posts: 10778
Likes: 4507 posts
Liked in: 5130 posts
Joined: Feb 12th, 2011, 2:56 pm

Re: Daytime running lights, and no front plates

Postby Dizzy1 » Dec 9th, 2017, 3:20 pm

TylerM4 wrote:Daytime running lights became mandatory in Canada in 1996. They are not mandatory in the US to this day. Brand new F150's (Most common vehicle in north america) don't have DRL's enabled in the US.

January 1 1990 actually (for Canada). All new vehicles built in Canada or imported to Canada were required to have DRLs. Vehicles that were built/imported before then (and some other exceptions) still do not require any DRLs.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water
 
Posts: 10778
Likes: 4507 posts
Liked in: 5130 posts
Joined: Feb 12th, 2011, 2:56 pm

Re: Daytime running lights, and no front plates

Postby Dizzy1 » Dec 9th, 2017, 3:26 pm

my5cents wrote:
Instead of stating, without any corroborating evidence, "If other jurisdictions can easily work around that, so can we.", you should take to the police in those jurisdictions.

Do you have any corroborating evidence? Why should I talk to the Police, or insurance agents, or Joe Smith down the street - they'll only provide their opinions. Is there any documented statistical evidence that a State or Province with mandatory front plate has a higher success rate of catching a criminal solely due to having a front plate?
my5cents wrote:If a second plate will apprehend just one criminal, or identify one hit and run suspect vehicle, I'm for leaving them on.

Thats enough for you, and thats cool. That's not enough of an argument for me though.
my5cents wrote:The argument that some vehicles aren't designed for front plates, should be filled with "We have to have noisy pipes on our motorcycles for safety", argument.
I disagree - no front plate doesn't effect you in any way, shape or form what so ever - loud exhausts do.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.

Btfsplck likes this post.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water
 
Posts: 10778
Likes: 4507 posts
Liked in: 5130 posts
Joined: Feb 12th, 2011, 2:56 pm

Re: Daytime running lights, and no front plates

Postby Even Steven » Dec 9th, 2017, 4:04 pm

Mitch85 wrote:It’s a law for a reason


Yes, it's against the law (rolling eyes emoji here).

But it's between the offender and the police officer. Police wannabees and old people who do nothing but criticize everybody around for breaking the law need not to worry.
Even Steven
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2530
Likes: 164 posts
Liked in: 1828 posts
Joined: Mar 24th, 2015, 7:20 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Trials & Tribulations of Traffic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests