54377
54875

Idiot drivers in snow

Home of the traffic rant.

Idiot drivers in snow

Postby gsc » Dec 19th, 2017, 9:25 pm

So today we had a car crash on our residential street.
A car was coming down our street managed to go over a curb up a lawn almost hitting a tree and t-boned a car parked in an up hill driveway.

I get it's snowing and slippery out so slow down and drive for the weather conditions. Howupid do you have to be seriously. It is a residential neighborhood and clearly your going fast enough to go up a person's lawn and hit a car.

We have had many people racing through our neighborhood sliding all over. What the hell is wrong with people. Do they not think hey maybe there are kids out or families if not people walking.

The cops don't care as I have tried calling. There has to be some kind of solution as this happens year round. Someone is going to get seriously hurt or killed one day on this street.
I might die tonight but if I do I'm a be ok
And if I die tonight at least I stood by stuff I said
I've got two graves dug one for me and one for the person in my way
And if I die tonight at least I can say I never ran away.
User avatar
gsc
Board Meister
 
Posts: 485
Likes: 729 posts
Liked in: 412 posts
Joined: Nov 28th, 2010, 10:06 pm
Location: Kelowna B.C.

Re: Idiot drivers in snow

Postby Dizzy1 » Dec 19th, 2017, 9:37 pm

I'll be the first to admit, driving in the snow can be a heck of a lot of fun ... but, only if its in the appropriate venue.

This is the time of year I dread having to park my car on the side of the road.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.

2 people like this post.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water
 
Posts: 10778
Likes: 4507 posts
Liked in: 5130 posts
Joined: Feb 12th, 2011, 2:56 pm

Re: Idiot drivers in snow

Postby gsc » Dec 19th, 2017, 9:43 pm

Dizzy1 wrote:I'll be the first to admit, driving in the snow can be a heck of a lot of fun ... but, only if its in the appropriate venue.

This is the time of year I dread having to park my car on the side of the road.


Very true there is always a time and a place but a public street full of homes, families, pets is not the place no matter what time it is.

Yeah street parking can be very scary and apparently so can parking in your own driveway
I might die tonight but if I do I'm a be ok
And if I die tonight at least I stood by stuff I said
I've got two graves dug one for me and one for the person in my way
And if I die tonight at least I can say I never ran away.

gman313 likes this post.
User avatar
gsc
Board Meister
 
Posts: 485
Likes: 729 posts
Liked in: 412 posts
Joined: Nov 28th, 2010, 10:06 pm
Location: Kelowna B.C.

Re: Idiot drivers in snow

Postby GordonH » Dec 19th, 2017, 9:44 pm

Dizzy1 wrote:I'll be the first to admit, driving in the snow can be a heck of a lot of fun ... but, only if its in the appropriate venue.

This is the time of year I dread having to park my car on the side of the road.


It's not if someone hits it, but when someone hits it.
Next up: 2018 Memorial Cup, May 17–27, 2018. Teams QJMHL Champions, OHL Champions, WHL Champions & Host Team
User avatar
GordonH
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 19636
Likes: 2142 posts
Liked in: 6718 posts
Joined: Oct 4th, 2008, 7:21 pm
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Re: Idiot drivers in snow

Postby Bsuds » Dec 19th, 2017, 10:01 pm

Some days it's not even safe in your garage!
My Wife just stopped and said "you weren't even listening were you?"

I thought to myself, that's a weird way to start a conversation.

Smurf likes this post.
User avatar
Bsuds
The Wagon Master
 
Posts: 42018
Likes: 8065 posts
Liked in: 10248 posts
Joined: Apr 21st, 2005, 10:46 am

Re: Idiot drivers in snow

Postby TreeGuy » Dec 19th, 2017, 11:11 pm

Dizzy1 wrote:I'll be the first to admit, driving in the snow can be a heck of a lot of fun ... but, only if its in the appropriate venue.

This is the time of year I dread having to park my car on the side of the road.


And here I didn’t think we were supposed to be parking on the street during snow events.
User avatar
TreeGuy
Moderator
 
Posts: 2216
Likes: 1070 posts
Liked in: 2157 posts
Joined: Oct 9th, 2005, 10:02 pm
Location: Westbank

Re: Idiot drivers in snow

Postby Dizzy1 » Dec 19th, 2017, 11:17 pm

TreeGuy wrote:
And here I didn’t think we were supposed to be parking on the street during snow events.

I didn't realize that the whole winter was considered a snow "event" :135:

Is there no parking allowed on Bernard during these snow "events"? :135:
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water
 
Posts: 10778
Likes: 4507 posts
Liked in: 5130 posts
Joined: Feb 12th, 2011, 2:56 pm

Re: Idiot drivers in snow

Postby TreeGuy » Dec 20th, 2017, 9:46 am

Dizzy1 wrote:
TreeGuy wrote:I didn't realize that the whole winter was considered a snow "event" :135:

Is there no parking allowed on Bernard during these snow "events"? :135:


From the city’s website:

“During the snow removal season, we work hard to create a safe city for residents and visitors. You can help the snow trucks clear the way more efficiently by moving your vehicles off the roads, especially in cul-de-sacs, before the snow falls. Please be patient as crews clear roads based on priority.”

I have done snow clearing for the City of West Kelowna contractor, cars parked on the streets don’t allow us to do a proper job. The cars also create a hazard for us making the job more difficult and slow us down. If there are too many cars on a road and it is unsafe then that road won’t get plowed. I’ve had it where there were cars on both sides of the street and there wasn’t enough space for the front blade to get through.

F37B7319-0FA1-493C-8045-2EA3534773EA.jpeg

2 people like this post.
User avatar
TreeGuy
Moderator
 
Posts: 2216
Likes: 1070 posts
Liked in: 2157 posts
Joined: Oct 9th, 2005, 10:02 pm
Location: Westbank

Re: Idiot drivers in snow

Postby alanjh595 » Dec 20th, 2017, 11:05 am

I seen lots of idiots on the roads this morning.

No snow tires
Going too fast.
Tailgaters
Sliding through stop signs
changing lanes without signals and cutting people off.

Somebody even passed me so fast that I felt like I was parked.

To the guy in the big 4X4 driving like an idiot and going sideways HARD into the sidewalk......HA...HA

3 people like this post.
User avatar
alanjh595
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3155
Likes: 1265 posts
Liked in: 2017 posts
Joined: Oct 20th, 2017, 5:18 pm

Re: Idiot drivers in snow

Postby dodgerdodge » Dec 20th, 2017, 2:57 pm

TreeGuy wrote:From the city’s website:

“During the snow removal season, we work hard to create a safe city for residents and visitors. You can help the snow trucks clear the way more efficiently by moving your vehicles off the roads, especially in cul-de-sacs, before the snow falls. Please be patient as crews clear roads based on priority.”

I have done snow clearing for the City of West Kelowna contractor, cars parked on the streets don’t allow us to do a proper job. The cars also create a hazard for us making the job more difficult and slow us down. If there are too many cars on a road and it is unsafe then that road won’t get plowed. I’ve had it where there were cars on both sides of the street and there wasn’t enough space for the front blade to get through.

F37B7319-0FA1-493C-8045-2EA3534773EA.jpeg


Agreed our cul de sac never gets fully cleared because too many vehicles parked down it, but who is at fault here? Where do all these people park if they are supposed to move because the next street is the same, and the next? When councils allow suites in every home they automatically allow street parking because no single family home is designed for 2 sets of occupants to safely park their vehicles off road. These tenants have nowhere else to park and whatever bylaw maybe being broken there is zero enforcement anyways!

3 people like this post.
dodgerdodge
Übergod
 
Posts: 1481
Likes: 106 posts
Liked in: 374 posts
Joined: Jun 9th, 2010, 7:35 am

Re: Idiot drivers in snow

Postby lightspeed » Dec 20th, 2017, 7:54 pm

TreeGuy wrote:
From the city’s website:

“During the snow removal season, we work hard to create a safe city for residents and visitors. You can help the snow trucks clear the way more efficiently by moving your vehicles off the roads, especially in cul-de-sacs, before the snow falls. Please be patient as crews clear roads based on priority.”

I have done snow clearing for the City of West Kelowna contractor, cars parked on the streets don’t allow us to do a proper job. The cars also create a hazard for us making the job more difficult and slow us down. If there are too many cars on a road and it is unsafe then that road won’t get plowed. I’ve had it where there were cars on both sides of the street and there wasn’t enough space for the front blade to get through.

F37B7319-0FA1-493C-8045-2EA3534773EA.jpeg


Just need to blade one of those cars (preferably both) up and onto the sidewalk. Maybe slice them wide open like opening a can of sardines with a hunting knife.

People are ignorant. And the parked car owners will be the first goofballs to call in saying their road wasn't plowed.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

TreeGuy likes this post.
User avatar
lightspeed
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2604
Likes: 4126 posts
Liked in: 2051 posts
Joined: Jan 13th, 2016, 10:58 am
Location: Vulgaria

Re: Idiot drivers in snow

Postby Grandan » Dec 20th, 2017, 8:30 pm

TreeGuy wrote:From the city’s website:

“During the snow removal season, we work hard to create a safe city for residents and visitors. You can help the snow trucks clear the way more efficiently by moving your vehicles off the roads, especially in cul-de-sacs, before the snow falls. Please be patient as crews clear roads based on priority.”

I have done snow clearing for the City of West Kelowna contractor, cars parked on the streets don’t allow us to do a proper job. The cars also create a hazard for us making the job more difficult and slow us down. If there are too many cars on a road and it is unsafe then that road won’t get plowed. I’ve had it where there were cars on both sides of the street and there wasn’t enough space for the front blade to get through.

F37B7319-0FA1-493C-8045-2EA3534773EA.jpeg

dodgerdodge wrote:Agreed our cul de sac never gets fully cleared because too many vehicles parked down it, but who is at fault here? Where do all these people park if they are supposed to move because the next street is the same, and the next? When councils allow suites in every home they automatically allow street parking because no single family home is designed for 2 sets of occupants to safely park their vehicles off road. These tenants have nowhere else to park and whatever bylaw maybe being broken there is zero enforcement anyways!

It is really a win for the city because then they can't plow your road. If the neighbourhood wants the road cleared they need to cooperate and park off the street to ensure that the plow makes it through. Think of how many neighbourhoods would need to have city hall staff police them. With all the coming and going of different shift workers it is next to impossible to stay on top of.
Waste not

dirtybiker likes this post.
Grandan
Übergod
 
Posts: 1688
Likes: 137 posts
Liked in: 755 posts
Joined: Aug 14th, 2007, 4:05 pm
Location: Kelowna

Re: Idiot drivers in snow

Postby JLives » Dec 20th, 2017, 9:32 pm

Some of us don't have an off the street. My block downtown doesn't have driveways.

My truck was hit this year when we had the first snowfall when I was at a friend's at the time. Never been through that process before but it was all fixed up and good to go within a couple of weeks.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
User avatar
JLives
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 15637
Likes: 2929 posts
Liked in: 5503 posts
Joined: Nov 27th, 2004, 11:53 am

Re: Idiot drivers in snow

Postby dodgerdodge » Dec 21st, 2017, 12:08 am

JLives wrote:Some of us don't have an off the street. My block downtown doesn't have driveways.

My truck was hit this year when we had the first snowfall when I was at a friend's at the time. Never been through that process before but it was all fixed up and good to go within a couple of weeks.


Exactly so where are people supposed to park if they have to keep the streets clear. It all sounds like a great idea coming from the council but has zero practicality in todays modern world.

2 people like this post.
dodgerdodge
Übergod
 
Posts: 1481
Likes: 106 posts
Liked in: 374 posts
Joined: Jun 9th, 2010, 7:35 am

Re: Idiot drivers in snow

Postby Bsuds » Dec 21st, 2017, 6:32 am

I'm sure they don't expect everyone to be able to park off the street but wherever possible it will help the plows.
My Wife just stopped and said "you weren't even listening were you?"

I thought to myself, that's a weird way to start a conversation.
User avatar
Bsuds
The Wagon Master
 
Posts: 42018
Likes: 8065 posts
Liked in: 10248 posts
Joined: Apr 21st, 2005, 10:46 am

Next

Return to Trials & Tribulations of Traffic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests