What the heck is Wrong with People ? ? ?

Home of the traffic rant.
Relentless
Grand Pooh-bah

What the heck is Wrong with People ? ? ?

Post by Relentless »

So, our street is covered in ice with a layer of fresh snow, like many other residential streets.
The max speed anyone should be travelling at is 30 Kms/hr.
There are people outside shoveling snow, and they end up on the edge of the road clearing their driveways.

There are so many idiots barreling down the ice covered road at 60 and 70 Kms/hr !
Many Idiots running every stop sign!

Last week, one of the neighbors got his car totaled while it was parked in his driveway because some nutcase decided to try for 80 Kms/hr on an ice covered road and lost control. I still have the video of the accident in my head as I watched it from a short distance away.

What kind of nutcases are driving in this City?
Obviously the "me" society is overpowering the "safety" society.

I'm just waiting for another nutcase to crash........
People are so friggin stupid I can't even take it!

It's bad enough that the sanding trucks are all in hiding lately, but the number of accidents can only be reduced if the nutcases aren't driving.
Faraday

Re: What the heck is Wrong with People ? ? ?

Post by Faraday »

I agree and just because you have a big truck doesn't make it okay to pass 3 cars on Dilworth because your in a friggin hurry!!! Give your friggin head a shake!!!!
:-X :-X :-X
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Re: What the heck is Wrong with People ? ? ?

Post by Queen K »

And I was just reading about all the damn accidents on the highways.
Same problem?
Not driving for conditions?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
dle
Lord of the Board

Accidents all over today....

Post by dle »

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#214880

This is just one of many articles about car crashes today around the valley.

We have debated back and forth whether they are mostly caused by drivers' not slowing for conditions, whether they are mostly caused by lack of proper road maintenance, ie sand, or whether they are a combination of all. A local lawyer feels it is ALL driver error.

I'm just curious to hear from anyone who drove any of the same roads today, at or about the same time these accidents occurred.

My question to them is: Did you see one speck of sand on those roads around where the accidents are said to have happened?

I can report seeing a sand truck depositing sand going down Gordon at about 3:15 today. I wasn't on the highway at all other than right in town.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: Accidents all over today....

Post by Fancy »

I've been back and forth cross the bridge on the highway and some of the side roads and it was shocking to see how some are driving - slipping and sliding through intersections and trying to do the same 20 km over the speed limits. I had zero trouble getting around.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

I walk to work and usually home with today being the exception... The wife came and got me today and she knows how to slow down and increase her following distance in this weather . We made it just fine.

Usually , walking to work is a breeze at 5:45 am but walking home is like playing Russian Roulette with the idiots out there. And it's only a four block walk ..
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
gsc
Board Meister

Post by gsc »

We have has many very close calls on our own road. The ice "was" very thick at our stop sign onto Gerstmar Rd. My wife and my self managed to chip up a lot of it so that people can at least stop now and not slide right through. We also chipped up as much off the street as we could before having to go work plowing lol.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Whyme2
Übergod

Post by Whyme2 »

Is it just me or is the city doing a shity job of looking after the roads this season so far? I haven’t seen a blow or sanding truck in action in over the past 5 days including today anywhere on my travels. :swear:
terb

Post by terb »

I drove past 2 serious accidents today, and can not think of any reason they should have happened other that driver driving like it was a clear warm summer day. I drove from Kelowna to Vernon and back again, and yes there was some snow on the roads, but nothing that should be causing major accidents on well maintained hyways.

Yes, slow down for snowy conditions! Yes, leave more space between you and the next vehicle. Yes, make slow and methodical lane changes when safe to do so. Yes, anticipate lights, breaking, stop signs or other such things best you can and slow down more gradually and sooner than you would in perfect conditions. AND MOST IMPORTANTLY have 4 good winter tires on your vehicle!!
logman
Übergod

Post by logman »

I was a few cars behind the crash up 33 where the car was on fire this afternoon. Sure the road was icy. Not much sand to speak of. People really don't drive to the conditions. One guy doing 50 and scared. Another wants to do 110. I'm not sure which is worse. That hyw is filled with ski-tards. Big hurry to get up and down from Big White. It really is pathetic and dangerous.
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

gsc wrote:We have has many very close calls on our own road. The ice "was" very thick at our stop sign onto Gerstmar Rd. My wife and my self managed to chip up a lot of it so that people can at least stop now and not slide right through. We also chipped up as much off the street as we could before having to go work plowing lol.

Thanks for doing that intersection. The ice at intersections is one of my biggest concern about the road maintenance. It's one of the most dangerous, scary spots to be when it snows and they get icy - I think they should be sanded right away. Perhaps a City sandbox and shovel on the street corners could be used by City staff to just sprinkle some around the intersections during the day. Is that a silly thought?
gsc
Board Meister

Post by gsc »

I get don't why the city doesn't drop salt as its extremely expensive and is horrible for vehicles but sand at least. When you can actually put on skates and skate around it's time to sand.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

Whyme2 wrote:Is it just me or is the city doing a shity job of looking after the roads this season so far? I haven’t seen a blow or sanding truck in action in over the past 5 days including today anywhere on my travels. :swear:

you are correct
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

gsc wrote:I get don't why the city doesn't drop salt as its extremely expensive and is horrible for vehicles but sand at least. When you can actually put on skates and skate around it's time to sand.

you would think so :135: ,the real question ,why not
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”