Residential street Plow Operators

Home of the traffic rant.
Relentless
Grand Pooh-bah

Residential street Plow Operators

Post by Relentless »

Well, I have officially had it with the plow operators who are paid to run plows and clear our residential roads.
After this big dump of snow(and as per every) I go out of my way, and have, for over 10 years, cleaning the road of snow, as to make it safer for those who walk as we have no sidewalks.

Today, as per usual, I spent 3 hours cleaning the road, and another 2 hrs right before posting this to make sure that it is safe for anyone who might need to walk on it.

At 12:50 am, the biggest jerk of an operator totally destroyed my work of cleaning the road in a matter of a minute by bringing snow from a block away and pushing it in front of my place(driving over the curb and rocks up on the boulevard).
There was no need to push snow in front of my place, or even plow for that matter, I had it right down.

I ran out and showed him, and asked *bleep* are you doing? He was so embarrassed that he backed up and took off.

Last week another 2 neighbors had the same done in front of their place to a point that they both will no longer spend any time cleaning the road in front of their driveway, and want to lodge complaints!

The City needs to start dealing with these incompetent operators as I would fire the guys who come down our street in a heartbeat!

It's one thing to have to deal with the bit of a berm created when the plow goes by, but this is not the case, I had no snow to be plowed, the road was clear, the idiot brought snow from 300 feet away and piled it in front of my place, and left it that way!

I am so done with this non-sense!
I am no longer going to spend anytime trying to make our streets safer when the idiot plow operators destroy 5 hours of hard back breaking work in one minute!
Oh, and driving up on the curb and onto the rock landscaping around the property only proves what kind of moron was operating!
KB886

Re: Residential street Plow Operators

Post by KB886 »

They are just doing their job. If you want to clean your road that's on you but I've realized reading all these forum posts the last 2 days that you can't please everyone... the plows job is to clear the road of snow so deal with it and shovel that little burm of snow and get over it.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

KB886 wrote:I've realized reading all these forum posts the last 2 days that you can't please everyone.

Yup.

Nobody plowing - "OMG WHAT AM I PAYING MY TAXES FOR!!!???"

Somebody plowing - "OMG THEY PUSH THE SNOW ON THE SIDEWALKS, don't they understand it's all about me me me, and they have to stop just for me, and gently push the snow not daring even some going onto my sidewalk???"

Nobody sanding - "When will these idiots start sanding, the roads are a mess!"

Somebody sanding - "There's too much sand and it ruins cars and roads!"
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

The two posters after the original don't seem to have much reading
comprehension as they totally missed the jist.

Many of the newer plow drivers certainly did not receive adequate training.
or, once trained, forget everything shown to them.

Much rather have a semi-retired or soon to reach
retirement age driver in that equipment.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

How did we end up with so many topics about snow removal? LOL

Here are my thoughts on it that I posted on another thread, I’m reposting it in case you didn’t have the enjoyment of reading it.

“I just skimmed through the four pages, I get a good laugh from people @itching about the road crews. Having done road clearing I have first hand experience with it. People complaining that they are driving around with their plows up, if they are out of sand they can’t plow and are going to get more sand, they would need to go to which ever pit they get it from, that takes time. Road salt at these low temperatures and with so much snow won’t do much. The other issue is the moron drivers, if you are out spinning your tires on the roadways then you are removing the sand from the road and polishing them up making them icy. Here’s a tip, drive with your tires on the mound of snow in the center when possible, that is where the sand piles up, you will have traction and it re-distributes the sand.

One more tip, it is winter in Canada, this happens every year! Why are people in such a state of shock?”
Relentless
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Relentless »

dirtybiker wrote:The two posters after the original don't seem to have much reading
comprehension as they totally missed the jist.

Thank you for pointing that out!
I have reported the plow operator, and so has another neighbor.
It's not about leaving a berm, the road was clean, the curb was swept off, he drove 4 feet over the curb and pulled snow from a big pile on to the road and packed it and left it.
Moving 4000 pounds of snow that's packed isn't going to happen!
johnny24
Board Meister

Post by johnny24 »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Dec 29th, 2017, 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Personal attack
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

johnny24 wrote:I think you've totally missed the jist

-I have not.
-I am fully aware.
-I have experienced the same, first-hand.
-I read betwixt lines and format responses appropriate to conditions.
-This instance (and there are not many) garners a rare blush of
compassion from me to he.

Now, unless the OP piled all the snow onto the roadway from where it was cleared.
There should be no valid reason for said plow operator to utilize the cleared space as a snow storage area.

If said snow pile did, in fact, be piled on the roadway from cleared area, then I
change my course of compassion to a "well, what did you think would happen ?"
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
gsc
Board Meister

Post by gsc »

You could always ask one of the people in the neighborhood that has a plow to help. I'm sure more than one person in the neighborhood has a snow blower or a plow.

I my self have a plow on my side by side and would be more than happy to help move that heavy snow for you at no cost as your just up the road.

I know it can be frustrating and know where your coming from as the plow has done the same to us many times in the past 6 years we have lived here. One year we couldn't even get out of our driveway. Not much we can do though.

If you would like some help please feel free to ask.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Now, THAT is one of the benefits of being a nice Castanet forum poster. We do help out each other.
Bring back the LIKE button.
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

alanjh595 wrote:Now, THAT is one of the benefits of being a nice Castanet forum poster. We do help out each other.

I think that's fantastic. A great example of neighbourliness. A shining light of positivity in a sea of complaining, making assumptions, criticizing and suchlike.

Nice touch, GSC. :up:
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
gsc
Board Meister

Post by gsc »

lightspeed wrote:
alanjh595 wrote:Now, THAT is one of the benefits of being a nice Castanet forum poster. We do help out each other.

I think that's fantastic. A great example of neighbourliness. A shining light of positivity in a sea of complaining, making assumptions, criticizing and suchlike.

Nice touch, GSC. :up:

I honestly don't mind at all. I have helped plow many neighbors driveways and front Street parking area. I don't charge my neighbors because I don't mind helping them out. One day if I need help I'm sure they will be there.

I try to be friendly if not friends with all the people in our neighborhood :). I know I can't please everyone but i would still help them.
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

MrGCS.jpg
gsc
Board Meister

Post by gsc »

TreeGuy wrote:
MrGCS.jpg

Lmao
Relentless
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Relentless »

gsc wrote:You could always ask one of the people in the neighborhood that has a plow to help. I'm sure more than one person in the neighborhood has a snow blower or a plow.

People with blades on their quads or side by sides need training, they also need to know that snow plowing is just about moving snow, it has to be pushed to a place out of the way for future pilings. Also, a blade only moves snow, it does not position it exactly where you want or need it. Curbs are problem areas for all blades.

The best tool for snow removal is a snowblower, it cleans and positions.

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”