Class 101: How To Pump Gas

Home of the traffic rant.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Class 101: How To Pump Gas

Post by oneh2obabe »

A new law that took effect this week in Oregon will allow residents in rural counties to pump their own gas — a divergence from the state’s decades-long history of having attendants pump gas for drivers.

Under House Bill 2482, which took effect Monday, retailers in counties with a population of less than 40,000 are allowed to have self-service gas pumps. Drivers in 15 counties can now pump their own gas any time of day, while those in three other rural counties can do so after business hours, between 6 p.m. and 6 a.m.

The internet machine roared, fuelled by a local TV station’s now-viral Facebook post last week asking people to react to the new law. Some were angry and perturbed by the possibility of having to pump their own gas in the cold, while those from other states scoffed.

“I don’t even know HOW to pump gas and I am 62, native Oregonian . . . I say NO THANKS! I don’t like to smell like gasoline!” one woman wrote.

“No! Disabled, seniors, people with young children in the car need help. Not to mention getting out of your car with transients around and not feeling safe. This is a very bad idea. Grrr,” another woman wrote.

“I’ve lived in this state all my life and I REFUSE to pump my own gas . . . This (is) a service only qualified people should perform. I will literally park at the pump and wait until someone pumps my gas.”

“FEAR NOT OREGON!!! I’ve decided to move to Oregon to open a school to teach people how to pump their gas. Short-term business you say?” a man wrote and then listed a list of menial tasks he wants to teach people do. His Facebook comment has been liked 61,000 times.

“I’m in Wisconsin and with the wind chill it’s currently -17. You know what I did this morning?! Had to pump my own flipping gas!! It’s not that hard people!!” one woman wrote.

“It’s official. Oregon is full of mentally defective, full grown children, incapable of the most mundane adult tasks,” another man wrote.

https://www.thestar.com/news/world/2018 ... proar.html
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: Class 101: How To Pump Gas

Post by Bsuds »

My Wife must be from Oregon! :D
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

so drivers in need of fuel after business hours usually have to call state police for assistance. Police would then bring a small amount of fuel
What a waste of resources.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
c2c
Fledgling

Post by c2c »

Only in Oregon you say?

http://ottawacitizen.com/pmn/news-pmn/c ... 2b13d13cc8

"Two western Canadian cities that mandate gas stations employ attendants to pump fuel are outliers in a nation where most citizens are accustomed to do-it-yourself fill ups.

Richmond and Coquitlam, B.C., have prohibited self-service stations for decades and against multiple waves of industry pushback, including a recent salvo by Chevron Canada Ltd. for Coquitlam to revoke its regulation.

Their choice is once more in the spotlight as Oregon shifted this week to permit some gas stations to allow drivers to refuel their vehicles without assistance."
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

c2c wrote:Only in Oregon you say?

http://ottawacitizen.com/pmn/news-pmn/c ... 2b13d13cc8

"Two western Canadian cities that mandate gas stations employ attendants to pump fuel are outliers in a nation where most citizens are accustomed to do-it-yourself fill ups.

Richmond and Coquitlam, B.C., have prohibited self-service stations for decades and against multiple waves of industry pushback, including a recent salvo by Chevron Canada Ltd. for Coquitlam to revoke its regulation.

Their choice is once more in the spotlight as Oregon shifted this week to permit some gas stations to allow drivers to refuel their vehicles without assistance."

I wiah more places were full serve
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I'd rather pump my own gas - it's proven to be faster.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

I too wish more stations employed gas jockeys.
Those Min. wage kids learn how to deal with the till, money,
customer service, people skills, learn about auto's.
Put in a position of trust by both the employer and the customer.
Among many other things.
Also a great gig for the retied or semi-retired to still allow them
a sense of purpose.

Oh, and they will actually check the oil if allowed. not like most
people who just wonder what all the rattling is !

Guess what one of my Summer jobs was as a youth ?
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Those with arthritic hands would agree it to be a blessing to see gas jockeys again. Especially in vicious cold weather. :135:
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I certainly enjoyed meeting a lot of nice young men when I helped a friend at a gas station years gone by - ah the good ol' days.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

While Oregon is a beautiful state, Oregonians are an interesting group to say the least - kinda like the Kootenays :biggrin:

I've always tried to avoid fueling my car there, I don't like it when people touch my car :biggrin:
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Yup, some snot nose, wet behind the ears, or shaky, half blind ol codger
bouncing the nozzle off the paint and dribbling fuel down the quarter
are a problem.

Just drive a '57 Chevy and the kid wouldn't even be able to find the filler. [icon_lol2.gif]
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I love travelling in Oregon and will do it again in a nanosecond. One of the best charms of the State is their gas pumping law.

The station has to do it. By law. I hope this never changes throughout the whole state. It's never even a matter of not knowing how, or laziness, I just remember the good old days here in BC. Yes, you can have service at the PetroCan in the lower Mission, but you pay a premium.

Damn it!
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

Nobody but nobody touches a '57 Chevy except you.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Queen K wrote:I Yes, you can have service at the PetroCan in the lower Mission, but you pay a premium.

Ya one dumba$$ there almost put gas in my diesel truck before I stopped him!
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

Queen K wrote:Yes, you can have service at the PetroCan in the lower Mission, but you pay a premium.

Damn it!
Not sure about the one in Kelowna but Super Save Gas in Westbank will pump gas for you. And the price of gas there is the same or lower than other stations in the area.
Last edited by oneh2obabe on Jan 5th, 2018, 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”