Finally got to take the car to the parking lot

Home of the traffic rant.
TheBoss
Fledgling

Finally got to take the car to the parking lot

Post by TheBoss »

Yesterday decided to drive the thunderbird to work, started to snow pretty decent. So i went stopped by my sisters place after work, Did a couple break tests and car handled as expected slid but was controllable. Went to the rona parking lot, the car was sketchy, but controllable in a slow slide. Small adjustments to the throttle steering and or brakes made the car handle in a predictable way. A little bit of understeer when trying to go a little bit quick into a slide.

Overall not bad at all for having all seasons under it, defiantly wouldn't take it to kelowna.

I think everyone should do something like this, it builds your confidence in winter driving, makes you understand how your vehicle will react in a slide and how it handles in the snow. Also gotta laugh at the people who get stuck, or can't make it up a hill. Turn off your traction control, the newer vehicles will *bleep* the throttle to prevent wheel spin (i think that's how it works on the newer vehicles). My mom got stuck on a hill, that i was able to make it up with no issues.. Well it did take me a couple tries.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Re: Finally got to take the car to the parking lot

Post by TylerM4 »

While I agree that it's good to get this type of experience - just be warned that it's not legal to do so.

Even in a deserted parking lot it's still considered a public place. Technically you can receive a reckless driving ticket or something similar. Rona store manager would likely not give you permission to be there - it's a liability to them, etc. People get ticked fairly regularly at the Orchard Park Mall lot for this - security is told to call RCMP if they see it.

Strongly recommend finding a private place to do this and/or getting the property owners permission 1st.
TheBoss
Fledgling

Post by TheBoss »

A couple years ago when i was working at tim hortons i asked one of the police officers that would stop in about that. His response was "You could be ticketed for dangerous driving, stunting etc etc" If it wasn't causing any harm to anyone he would personally just shrug it off, also depending on the officer. I usually try not to be to reckless when doing stuff like that.

Sadly in Vernon their isn't any real private places to go and have a little fun in the snow or to hone my winter driving skills, what ever is less fun [icon_lol2.gif]

I wonder if Vernon or the okanagan area has any winter cross events, slap a pair of winters under the coupe and have some fun that way.
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

I have heard of a lake somewhere near Ashcroft where the ice is thick enough conduct ice racing so many go out for that kind of fun.
Back in 1966 or so I had a friend with a Porsche 912 that got up to 120 mph on Williams Lake. Well, he did that on the highway as well but the lake seemed safer.
Waste not
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

they used to have ice racing on duck lake then moved up to mculloch lake because the was getting to inconsistent not sure if they still do it up there or not
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Stake Lake outside of Kamloops has Motorcycle Ice Racing.

As far as a place to hone skills locally and more importantly, legally,
I'm at a loss.

Shame the amount of people with no clue how their vehicles even work, let alone
handle.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Was it last winter when a truck (?) went through the ice in Swan Lake in Vernon?
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Catsumi wrote:Was it last winter when a truck (?) went through the ice in Swan Lake in Vernon?

Some people are damn stupid
https://www.castanet.net/news/Vernon/18 ... -from-lake
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

Nearly every winter, if you are smart, dont tell the media.
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

60-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:Nearly every winter, if you are smart, dont tell the media.

That only works if it's somewhere out of sight.

Not a biggie anyway cause it was a Ram Truck. :D
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
TheBoss
Fledgling

Post by TheBoss »

Their is the new race track down south Area 27, sadly it's only for the rich to play around in. I would love to do the race training program, sadly i don't have 1500 dollars to throw down. I see their were other tracks offering the same basic program but cheaper 5-600 dollars. Sadly some of those tracks don't look to be around anymore.

Luckily their is the autocross coming up in the spring time in kelowna that should be fun to take the car around.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Not a 100% sure but, I believe they do a makeshift Autocross deal after the
Wed, Night McCurdy Show & Shines throughout the summer.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
TheBoss
Fledgling

Post by TheBoss »

I'll have to look into that one. I know the one i know of holds it at the college. It's cheapish, just need to buy a helmet and pay the club cost and first race fee. So right around 300 bucks to start autocrossing. Which isn't too bad to do for a summer hobby.
BigBadBen
Fledgling

Post by BigBadBen »

Hi all,

I am a member of Okanagan Autocross and the Vancouver Motorsports Clubs. I agree with the posters urging to try the limits of your car in a legal manner.

We race through the spring and summer in Kelowna at the south parking lot of UBCO and at Kal Tire Place in Vernon. Your first race is free. Annual membership is a whopping $20. Subsequent races are $15 in Kelowna and $30 in Vernon as the latter is an all day event. We provide loaner helmets if you don't have your own.

You won't be racing in snow, but when it rains it can be pretty slippery. Either way, you will be testing your car at it's limits in a safe and legal environment.

At the Pitt Meadows Airport, the UBC Sports Car Club, runs a "slush" series through the winter. Rain and snow. Reasonable cost.

The Vancouver Motorsport Club, runs a spring and summer Cup series at Pitt Meadows. Sun and rain. They also offer excellent race training called "Velocity". You get a lot of seat time with an experienced instructor. Reasonable cost. No annual membership fee.

It is important to note, that as these are FIA and CACC sanctioned events, your ICBC insurance is void during the race. Drive accordingly.

Links
Kelowna: http://www.okanaganautocross.com
Slush series: http://www.ubcscc.com
VCMC: http://www.vcmc.ca

The 2018 schedules should be posted soon. Hope to see you out someday soon.
TheBoss
Fledgling

Post by TheBoss »

Thanks alot for the Info Bigbadben. That's on my bucket list this year is autocrossing. I know with Kaltire getting the second sheet that the parking lot is being shrunk down. I'll be doing the kelowna races then, so see you out there in the spring time.

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”