What are the rules for studded tires?

Home of the traffic rant.
my5cents
Guru

Re: What are the rules for studded tires?

Post by my5cents »

Glacier wrote:If you drive with studded tires, you are a law breaking ignorant hatemongering jerkface.

Think about it. You MUST have winter tires come October 1st, but you cannot have studded tires BEFORE October 1st. Since there aren't enough tire shops to put on everyone's winter tires on October 1st, you might not get your car in the tire shop on exactly October 1st, therefore, you will have to either get them done in September, and drive illegally with studs, or do it in October and drive illegally with summer tires. People on Castanet get really upset when they see people driving around with summer tires in October.

Do you know who else breaks the law? Pedophiles. So you're breaking the law just like a pedophile.

Did someone miss his nap ? [icon_lol2.gif]
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
spooker

Post by spooker »

Glacier wrote:Think about it. You MUST have winter tires come October 1st, but you cannot have studded tires BEFORE October 1st. Since there aren't enough tire shops to put on everyone's winter tires on October 1st, you might not get your car in the tire shop on exactly October 1st, therefore, you will have to either get them done in September, and drive illegally with studs, or do it in October and drive illegally with summer tires. People on Castanet get really upset when they see people driving around with summer tires in October.

Why depend on the shops? I've always just picked up a second set of rims ... switching tires takes me about 30 minutes in my driveway, anytime of day or night I want (I have a very easygoing scheduler) ... convenience shouldn't be about just paying somebody to do something for you, it should be learning to do it yourself so you don't frustrate yourself when people let you down ...
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

spooker wrote:Why depend on the shops?

For the same reason it's illegal to pump your own gas in Oregon. It takes jobs away from hard working people. Who wants to run the risk of being accused of being a racist Islamphobe by killing jobs. Besides, October 1st falls a Saturday, so doing work might upset my Jewish neighbours who take the Sabbath seriously, and that could run the risk being hauled before the Canadian Human Rights Tribunal for being an antisemitic Nazi.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

I feel your pain,,triggered is as triggered does....
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

I know you're being tongue in cheek - but I'm gonna be that guy ;)
Glacier wrote:Think about it. You MUST have winter tires come October 1st,

Wrong, wrong, wrong. You do not have to have winter tires at all, you can drive with summers all year long - as long as you don't drive on a stretch of highway that posts you must use winter (or M+S) tires.

Sorry, just had to :biggrin:
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
I see what you did

Post by I see what you did »

Glacier wrote:If you drive with studded tires, you are a law breaking ignorant hatemongering jerkface.

Think about it. You MUST have winter tires come October 1st, but you cannot have studded tires BEFORE October 1st. Since there aren't enough tire shops to put on everyone's winter tires on October 1st, you might not get your car in the tire shop on exactly October 1st, therefore, you will have to either get them done in September, and drive illegally with studs, or do it in October and drive illegally with summer tires. People on Castanet get really upset when they see people driving around with summer tires in October.

Do you know who else breaks the law? Pedophiles. So you're breaking the law just like a pedophile.

sarcasm? or just high?
There is no snow in early October, therefore shops have tons of room to scheduled you in. If you wait until the first snowfall to change your tires (late oct-nov), then you're an idiot
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

This is sort of off topic, is Glacier off his meds again? Or did China hack his account?
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

I see what you did wrote:sarcasm? or just high?

Both.

Dizzy1 wrote:Wrong, wrong, wrong. You do not have to have winter tires at all, you can drive with summers all year long - as long as you don't drive on a stretch of highway that posts you must use winter (or M+S) tires.

Sorry, just had to :biggrin:

Well, between my house and work there's one of those signs that say you will get anally violated if you have summer tires on October 1st (this is the case if you live in Armstrong, Lumby, or parts of Coldstream and work in Vernon), so if you have straight summers and studded winters, you're screwed.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Glacier wrote: so if you have straight summers and studded winters, you're screwed.

But not if they are on rims and you switch them over yourself.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Bsuds wrote:
Glacier wrote: so if you have straight summers and studded winters, you're screwed.

But not if they are on rims and you switch them over yourself.

At midnight !
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

TreeGuy wrote:
prairieflower wrote:Found through Google....
http://www.bchighway.com/regulations/studded-tires.html
"In British Columbia (BC) Under the Motor Vehicle Act Regulations, tires with studs up to 3.5 mm high can only be used between October 1 and April 30. The regulations limit tires to 130 studs each for vehicles weighing less than 4,600 kg, or 175 studs each for vehicles weighing more than that. It’s important to note you can only use studded tires on the front wheels if you’re using them on rear wheels also (at least one studded tire per rear wheel). This means if you have a rear wheel drive vehicle you usually only use the studded tires on the rear wheels; however if you have a front wheel drive vehicle and use studded tires on the front wheels you must mount studded tires on the rear wheels also."

But you would also need Bylaw to enforce the law, which is seriously lacking around the Okanagan..

I found that to be an interesting statement. I have a rear wheel drives vehicle and I put on studded tires all the way around. Traction for steering is equally important as tracking for acceleration. Also when you consider most of the braking is down by your front brakes, studded tires up front are very important. But I’m no tire expert.

Also this would not be a bylaw issue but a DOT or RCMP issue.

MOT.
Canada doesnt have a DOT.
But the MOT accepts the DOT approval on a part or accessory.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Bman wrote:MOT.
Canada doesnt have a DOT.
But the MOT accepts the DOT approval on a part or accessory.

Nope. Canada doesn't have MOT (or at least BC doesn't). It's MOTI.
- Douglas Murray

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”