Parking woes at college

Home of the traffic rant.
just popping in
Lord of the Board

Parking woes at college

Post by just popping in »

Now here is a student who thinks it is ridiculous to walk 2 to 3 blocks from her car to the college.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#218318

My suggestion: use public transit.
Even Steven
Guru

Re: Parking woes at college

Post by Even Steven »

"The campus needs to invest in something a lot closer and try to expand on parking for the amount of students that come in," she added.

I wonder if she'll be complaining if her tuitions rise next year because of it.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

I thought the enlightened ones didn't need cars.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

boo fricken hoo get a job at the hospital then you actually have a parking complaint at least these poor students have overflow parking they can use :swear:
spooker

Post by spooker »

Same complaint I hear people use when they say they won't visit downtown ... entitled drivers
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

"I think it's kind of ridiculous to walk almost two to three blocks to the school from there," she said.

I think it's more than ridiculous to think two to three blocks is too far to walk when elementary kids can do it just fine. Used to take me 1/2 hour to walk to high school (up hill both ways in a snowstorm) carrying all my books. Boo hoo is right.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Don't be so quick to judge. College students usually have a lot of stuff to carry with them everyday. Text books and laptops go a long way to making a seemingly short walk very tiring. The walk to the College is also just the beginning; once they get there, they have to get to class which can be a hike in itself.

I get that it sounds a lot like whining but having had a kid at UBCO, I get the frustration. Yes, UBCO is a bigger campus but the lot that we paid for her to park in, while reasonably close to the school was only the beginning of her daily walk and like I said, with text books and stuff, it can get to a little much.

And, if you're female, walking back to a car in the dark can be nerve wracking.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I've been to college too and had to carry the books but there comes a time when one needs to take a good hard look at what there is to complain about. She has the availability of a car she should be grateful for and realize that sometimes there are choices that need to be made. Get up a few minutes earlier to grab that parking spot or take transit or be prepared to walk a couple of blocks. Even working full time one may not be able to have a parking spot of their own and need to walk more than a couple of blocks to get to their job and dark going both way. Believe me that gets tiresome but no point in complaining about it.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I just think if one is circling the block for 20 minutes maybe arrive 30 minutes earlier and obtain a spot. Spend that extra time doing something productive.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

spooker wrote:Same complaint I hear people use when they say they won't visit downtown ... entitled drivers

I live within 25 minute walk of downtown/Prospera, which I do for each Rockets game I attend (only other time I go downtown is on Canada Day).
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Due to lack of available space on/at Okanagan College Campus. Only choice they have is to build a parkade on current parking lot. Which would mean no parking until it is actually built (that is if the College would do this).
Oh yes then there is also students with cars at KSS.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

"I have to arrive extra early to find parking, and if I can't find a spot, then I have to take the risk of getting a ticket," student Emma Carls told Castanet.

"If you get here before 8 a.m., you will probably find a close parking spot. If you get here after that, you can drive around and try and find a spot, but I get too impatient and I always end up parking at the overflow down Gordon," she said.

"I think it's kind of ridiculous to walk almost two to three blocks to the school from there," she said.

Welcome to adulthood and personal responsibility :130:

Oops, I forgot - those two things are frowned upon in many post secondary institutions these days. Perhaps setting up a safe space between the available parking and campus so they can cope with the trauma?

Wait until you move to a big city when you get a job and you have to take *gasp* public transportation including walking *gasp* :cry:
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

i remember having to walk to school 20 min one way -omg- [icon_lol2.gif] ,safe bet its considered child abuse now
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

mexi cali wrote:Don't be so quick to judge. College students usually have a lot of stuff to carry with them everyday. Text books and laptops go a long way to making a seemingly short walk very tiring. The walk to the College is also just the beginning; once they get there, they have to get to class which can be a hike in itself.

I get that it sounds a lot like whining but having had a kid at UBCO, I get the frustration. Yes, UBCO is a bigger campus but the lot that we paid for her to park in, while reasonably close to the school was only the beginning of her daily walk and like I said, with text books and stuff, it can get to a little much.

And, if you're female, walking back to a car in the dark can be nerve wracking.

i bet they can make that same walk to and from the mall with an arm load of clothes no problem

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”