Speed Limit: Highway 33 Up to black mountain/big white

Home of the traffic rant.
stewart262

Speed Limit: Highway 33 Up to black mountain/big white

Post by stewart262 »

has anyone approached the city about the posted 60kmh speed limit here? it's a 4 lane highway... I get that some people live on it, and pull out into it from their driveway, but that should be on them to assess traffic and pull out of their driveways safely.it seems unreasonable that the cops are just fining EVERYONE for going 80kmh, a reasonable speed for this stretch of highway. and no, i'm not someone who was ticketed here, but a friend was, and i just think that the posted speed limit is too low.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Speed Limit: Highway 33 Up to black mountain/big white

Post by GordonH »

stewart262 wrote:has anyone approached the city about the posted 60kmh speed limit here? it's a 4 lane highway... I get that some people live on it, and pull out into it from their driveway, but that should be on them to assess traffic and pull out of their driveways safely.it seems unreasonable that the cops are just fining EVERYONE for going 80kmh, a reasonable speed for this stretch of highway. and no, i'm not someone who was ticketed here, but a friend was, and i just think that the posted speed limit is too low.

City has absolutely nothing to do with the speed limit on a Provincial highway. Take your concerns to MOTI (B.C. Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure).
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
stevemic
Fledgling

Post by stevemic »

its 100km/h just past the chain up area
You can say whatever you please,
as long as the Mods agree
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

stewart262 wrote:has anyone approached the city about the posted 60kmh speed limit here? it's a 4 lane highway... I get that some people live on it, and pull out into it from their driveway, but that should be on them to assess traffic and pull out of their driveways safely.it seems unreasonable that the cops are just fining EVERYONE for going 80kmh, a reasonable speed for this stretch of highway. and no, i'm not someone who was ticketed here, but a friend was, and i just think that the posted speed limit is too low.

I live on a road that is posted 50 km/hr but everyone does 70 - 80 km/hr. We have no sidewalks so it is difficult for pedestrians.
The city would like us to bike to work and walk to the bus and I would like to walk to the park but it scares the beegezus out of me. Hwy 33 looks like a pretty good gig, raise the speed limit so you and buddy can speed home legally?
Waste not
GenesisGT
Guru

Post by GenesisGT »

Well it could be worse at 50km.

I live up that road and admit that a lot of the times 60km seems slow for the amount of traffic and for a four lane hwy.

The Motor Vehicle Act states that unless otherwise posted, the basic limit for all provincial highways is 80 km/h in rural environments, and 50 km/h within urban municipalities. So, if speeds other than these basic speeds are required, the ministry is tasked with setting or adjusting the limits.

Traffic engineers set speed limits according to the following factors:
The local land use indicating the driving environment
The road classification
The highway geometry, such as how much sight distance is available to stop in time for an object up ahead
Features such as shoulder width and the number of intersections and highway entrances
The history of the highway, including number and types of incidents
The volume of traffic and vehicle types/modes of transportation using the highway (passenger cars, trucks, pedestrians, bicycles, etc.)

https://www.tranbc.ca/2013/08/20/how-speed-limits-are-set-in-bc-the-ultimate-guide/
You can see the past but cannot go there, you cannot see the future but you can go there.
StraitTalk
Lord of the Board

Post by StraitTalk »

I live up here too and I definitely agree the limit is way too low. The police take full advantage of it too, there are four or five spots between Rutland and the speed limit increase where they camp out on the regular. I would say 95% of drivers are doing 20km/h over the limit at any given time here and just last week I passed a cop with a group of traffic where everyone was doing about 80. The cop just kept on putting.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

The speed limit should be 100. Why the EFF would they build a new 4 lane highway that's wider and straighter than much of the Coq and design it to operate at 60 km/ h? Fire the engineer who designed it.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

Oh I dunno....maybe it has something to do with the fact that it travels through a residential area with several residential side roads and an elementary school?

How many of those factors are at play along the Coquihalla?

Once you’re past all that you get to kick it up to 100 if you want.
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

KL3-Something wrote:Oh I dunno....maybe it has something to do with the fact that it travels through a residential area with several residential side roads and an elementary school?

How many of those factors are at play along the Coquihalla?

Once you’re past all that you get to kick it up to 100 if you want.

Hmmm.......Springfield Rd. is 60 from Rutland Rd. to 33 and is a narrow two lane winding road with intersecting roads and driveways. Glenmore north of Union is 80 into Winfield. It is narrow with little or no shoulders with many curves, elevation changes and plenty of "blind" driveways.

Spare us please.........HWY 33 to Loseth is a money grab and you KNOW IT!
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

What some call "a money grab", the police call catching law breakers. How much time do you hope to gain in your life with a 40 km/hr speed increase over 5 kms?
That would be a 1 minute saving of time, x 2, for two ways, = 2 minutes/day, x 5 days /week = 10 minutes /week, x 52 weeks/year = 520 minutes/year divide by 60 minutes = 8.666 hours/year = 1/3 of 1 day/ year. One whole work day per year.
Now compare that to the extra fuel costs for that time saving.
Bring back the LIKE button.
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

alanjh595 wrote:What some call "a money grab", the police call catching law breakers. How much time do you hope to gain in your life with a 40 km/hr speed increase over 5 kms?
That would be a 1 minute saving of time, x 2, for two ways, = 2 minutes/day, x 5 days /week = 10 minutes /week, x 52 weeks/year = 520 minutes/year divide by 60 minutes = 8.666 hours/year = 1/3 of 1 day/ year. One whole work day per year.

Please Alan........tell me you are not one of these people that need complete government intervention in every aspect of their lives to survive. That section of road and its speed is a joke. Oh, and nobody is saying to raise it to 100.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

lesliepaul wrote:Please Alan........tell me you are not one of these people that need complete government intervention in every aspect of their lives to survive. No, far from it. I believe that restrictions and penalties should be imposed upon those that risk my life by acting in a manner that endanger it.
That section of road and its speed is a joke. According to YOUR OPINION. what qualifies you to have be better qualified to give technical advice on this piece of highway that has been studied and subjected to the BC Highway's engineers? Oh, and nobody is saying to raise it to 100. Okay, then, take the math equation provided above and insert the speed that you think it should be, and let's see what the end result is.
Bring back the LIKE button.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Drivers are so hard done by having to travel at lower speeds, from Muir Rd to Brentwood Rd is about 4.5 Km's.

Wonder how much time difference would really be made up between going 60 Kms/per Hr & 90 Kms/per Hr in a distance of 4.5 Kms. Wow a savings of about a 1 minute (taking into account the school zone).
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
StraitTalk
Lord of the Board

Post by StraitTalk »

alanjh595 wrote:What some call "a money grab", the police call catching law breakers. How much time do you hope to gain in your life with a 40 km/hr speed increase over 5 kms?

That has nothing to do with what we're talking about. We're discussing whether the speed limit is appropriate. You're just trying to lay shame for having another opinion. Really nice math though!
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

[/quote]

Alan........you should use the same math style in the kitchen. Think of all the time you waste and extra fuel costs experimenting when you have a microwave.

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”