Speed Limit: Highway 33 Up to black mountain/big white

Home of the traffic rant.
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Re: Speed Limit: Highway 33 Up to black mountain/big white

Post by lesliepaul »

You may as well add Glenmore from Bernard to Summit/High Rd. 60 KPH northbound and 50 KPH southbound. Have NEVER in my life seen a road with two different speed limits for opposite directions. The city should put up signs on Highland Dr. at Glenmore........"Kelowna Traffic Services Parking ONLY".

I know there is a school there, but there is also an Elementary school at Glenmore and Union with 60KPH.
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

lesliepaul wrote:You may as well add Glenmore from Bernard to Summit/High Rd. 60 KPH northbound and 50 KPH southbound. Have NEVER in my life seen a road with two different speed limits for opposite directions. The city should put up signs on Highland Dr. at Glenmore........"Kelowna Traffic Services Parking ONLY".

I know there is a school there, but there is also an Elementary school at Glenmore and Union with 60KPH.

It makes sense if you look at the road design and think about it.

Side roads, driveways, parking lot entrances and an elementary school adjacent to the south bound lanes. Nothing but a golf course adjacent to the north bound lanes. Lane directions that are S eparated by a raised median.
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

It makes sense if you look at the road design and think about it.

Side roads, driveways, parking lot entrances and an elementary school adjacent to the south bound lanes. Nothing but a golf course adjacent to the north bound lanes. Lane directions that are S eparated by a raised median.
[/quote]

Like I said..........have NEVER seen the same road in opposite directions with different speed limits. This section of road must be so unique with what you mention as a reason. $$$$$$$$$!
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Kelowna is an ever increasingly isolated city. The rail line is gone, and all major highways are being chocked off with slow moving highways. The main road to Spokane, the Kooetenays, and the USA east of Kelowna is being restricted because of poor design. It's 60km/h now (even though it's a safer section of highway than say the 70km/h section of 97 through Winfield or the 80km/h section through West Kelowna/West Bank FN or the 90km/h section by the Jammery or the 100km/h section of highway beyond that up to the Big White turnoff), but imagine how it's going to be 15 or 20 years when the traffic has doubled or tripled! They'll have to throttle it back even further to something like 30km/h! Maybe even below zero like -30km/h! Ha ha!

The highway apologists say, "ya, it's only 5 km," but what happens when the city moves another 5 km, or another 5km on top of that, or another 5, and so on? Before you know it, it's 60km/h all the way to Big White with 30 traffic lights. That's basically what you get on 97 from Vernon to Osoyoos -- a 180km section of highway with a traffic light on average every 3 km!
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Glacier wrote:Kelowna is an ever increasingly isolated city. The rail line is gone, and all major highways are being chocked off with slow moving highways. The main road to Spokane, the Kooetenays, and the USA east of Kelowna is being restricted because of poor design. It's 60km/h now (even though it's a safer section of highway than say the 70km/h section of 97 through Winfield or the 80km/h section through West Kelowna/West Bank FN or the 90km/h section by the Jammery or the 100km/h section of highway beyond that up to the Big White turnoff), but imagine how it's going to be 15 or 20 years when the traffic has doubled or tripled! They'll have to throttle it back even further to something like 30km/h! Maybe even below zero like -30km/h! Ha ha!

The highway apologists say, "ya, it's only 5 km," but what happens when the city moves another 5 km, or another 5km on top of that, or another 5, and so on? Before you know it, it's 60km/h all the way to Big White with 30 traffic lights. That's basically what you get on 97 from Vernon to Osoyoos -- a 180km section of highway with a traffic light on average every 3 km!

Now someone will come along and say its highways problem in Victoria. No its not. We do not need to build all these lights. Every time i leave town im amazed at all the overpasses in other cities. Heck just outside Peachland on the connector there is a big one for deer. For deer. But we cant get one for cars in Kelowna. No we need 40 lights on the hwy instead. It is so stupid
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Jflem1983 wrote:Now someone will come along and say its highways problem in Victoria. No its not. We do not need to build all these lights. Every time i leave town im amazed at all the overpasses in other cities. Heck just outside Peachland on the connector there is a big one for deer. For deer. But we cant get one for cars in Kelowna. No we need 40 lights on the hwy instead. It is so stupid

Well Jflem1983, its to late for that idea in both Kelowna & West Kelowna.
I've mentioned this many times on the board, overpasses & underpasses should have been done the day after the proposed bypass was rejected (this was some time prior to Okanagan Mountain Park was made official).

Today the cost of buying up all the business & homes needed to put in just 1 overpass on Kelowna side (Kelowna side of the lake could only use overpasses, due to water table being so high) would be insane. On the West Kelowna side underpasses could have been used, but again today the cost of buying up the property would be insane.

Just think about the amount of area needed for either an overpass or underpass i.e overpass or underpass it self then off & on ramps going in both directions add in round about on both sides.
It adds up to very large area needed.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

And yet, the recently 4-laned 33 where there's little development when for a bargain price could have used extra land to at least set aside for overpasses. Nope, they've screwed up again, and will do so further up the highway when the next section is 4-laned.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Glacier wrote:And yet, the recently 4-laned 33 where there's little development when for a bargain price could have used extra land to at least set aside for overpasses. Nope, they've screwed up again, and will do so further up the highway when the next section is 4-laned.

Governments are incredibly shortsighted
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”