Important for all Kelowna drivers

Home of the traffic rant.
Omnitheo
Guru

Important for all Kelowna drivers

Post by Omnitheo »

No joke seriously. Learn to turn into the proper lane. Don’t honk at me if I’m turning correctly and you’re taking an obnoxiously wide turn illegally across lanes in an intersection.

edit: removed secondary unrelated rant to a different thread.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
RVThereYet
Übergod

Re: Important for all Kelowna drivers

Post by RVThereYet »

Omnitheo wrote:Image

No joke seriously. Learn to turn into the proper lane. Don’t honk at me if I’m turning correctly and you’re taking an obnoxiously wide turn illegally across lanes in an intersection.

Actually, many Kelowna drivers turn more like this ... Just the other day I was nearly hit by a driver like the one in the blue car in a crosswalk (where the black star is) ... I was crossing the street in the direction of the yellow arrow on a green (walk) signal and he cut the corner so hard and only noticed me when I screamed at him just before he hit me. If I wasn't paying attention to traffic (as I should when crossing the street) he would have nailed me... close call.
untitled.png
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Duplicate post.
Last edited by mexi cali on Mar 19th, 2018, 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

That's a great post and a good reminder to al the morons, sorry, fellow drivers we have to face here in Kelowna. The problem with being in the habit of making the wide turn to the outside lane is when you come across a dual turn lane and you try the same thing.

Crunch.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

That's a pet peeve of mine. So many drivers in Kelowna have no clue!
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

People are stupid.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

RVThereYet wrote:Actually, many Kelowna drivers turn more like this ... Just the other day I was nearly hit by a driver like the one in the blue car in a crosswalk (where the black star is) ... I was crossing the street in the direction of the yellow arrow on a green (walk) signal and he cut the corner so hard and only noticed me when I screamed at him just before he hit me. If I wasn't paying attention to traffic (as I should when crossing the street) he would have nailed me... close call.
The attachment untitled.png is no longer available

That's because people just don't know how to do a proper 4-wheel slide...

TurningPaths.jpg
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

The right turn as shown in the image is also the lawful way to make the turn.

But as an FYI, there is no requirement under the Motor Vehicle Act to make the left turn as in the diagram. There is nothing unlawful about turning directly into the far lane when turning left.
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

This was such a common occurrence in my homeland that it’s Urban Dictionary’s top hit when you search the town.

Thunder Bay
A specific road violation in which, while making a left-hand turn onto a double-laned road, the driver immediately pulls into the right lane instead of properly turning into the left lane and then, with blinker, merging into the right lane. The term is named after the Canadian city "Thunder Bay" in which this aforementioned violation is rampant and part of everyday driving.
KatMeowO

Post by KatMeowO »

KL3-Something wrote:The right turn as shown in the image is also the lawful way to make the turn.

But as an FYI, there is no requirement under the Motor Vehicle Act to make the left turn as in the diagram. There is nothing unlawful about turning directly into the far lane when turning left.

You are required to go into the lane closest to the center lane, which in the above diagrams is correct, you must turn into the left lane if there are two lanes as it's closest to the centre line.

Quoting the MVA:

Turning at intersections
165 (2) When the driver of a vehicle intends to turn it to the left at an intersection where traffic is permitted to move in both directions on each highway entering the intersection, the driver must

(a) cause the vehicle to approach the intersection in the portion of the right side of the roadway that is nearest the marked centre line, or if there is no marked centre line, then as far as practicable in the portion of the right half of the roadway that is nearest the centre line,

(b) keep the vehicle to the right of the marked centre line or centre line of the roadway, as the case may be, at the place the highway enters the intersection,

(c) after entering the intersection, turn the vehicle to the left so that it leaves the intersection to the right of the marked centre line of the roadway being entered, or if there is no marked centre line then to the right of the centre line of the roadway being entered, and,

(d) when practicable, turn the vehicle in the portion of the intersection to the left of the centre of the intersection.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Omnitheo wrote:Image

Oh I hear ya & totally agree with you Omnitheo, unfortunately a segment of the driving population does not give a damn about doing things the proper way (legal or not).
My main goal in my day to day driving is not getting hit.... some days are closer then others.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

KatMeowO wrote:
You are required to go into the lane closest to the center lane, which in the above diagrams is correct, you must turn into the left lane if there are two lanes as it's closest to the centre line.

Quoting the MVA:

Turning at intersections
165 (2) When the driver of a vehicle intends to turn it to the left at an intersection where traffic is permitted to move in both directions on each highway entering the intersection, the driver must

(a) cause the vehicle to approach the intersection in the portion of the right side of the roadway that is nearest the marked centre line, or if there is no marked centre line, then as far as practicable in the portion of the right half of the roadway that is nearest the centre line,

(b) keep the vehicle to the right of the marked centre line or centre line of the roadway, as the case may be, at the place the highway enters the intersection,

(c) after entering the intersection, turn the vehicle to the left so that it leaves the intersection to the right of the marked centre line of the roadway being entered, or if there is no marked centre line then to the right of the centre line of the roadway being entered, and,

(d) when practicable, turn the vehicle in the portion of the intersection to the left of the centre of the intersection.

This has been discussed before, more than once i beleive. You are wrongly quoting the MVA you have copied and pasted, read it carefully again. The bit you have highlighted makes no mention of where you have turned it is talking about approaching and positioning vehicle in the intersection ready for the turn. Remember it says "cause the vehicle to approach the intersection" Then it mentions keeping the vehicle to the right of centre, again this is before you turn.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

GordonH wrote:My main goal in my day to day driving is not getting hit.... some days are closer then others.

Defensive driving is the only way to survive in Kelowna and most everywhere else too.

As long as you expect other drivers to do something stupid you might be able to avoid them.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

dodgerdodge wrote:
KatMeowO wrote:

Quoting the MVA:

Turning at intersections

This has been discussed before, more than once i beleive. You are wrongly quoting the MVA you have copied and pasted, read it carefully again. The bit you have highlighted makes no mention of where you have turned it is talking about approaching and positioning vehicle in the intersection ready for the turn. Remember it says "cause the vehicle to approach the intersection" Then it mentions keeping the vehicle to the right of centre, again this is before you turn.

I sourced out that excerpt too and interpreted to mean turning from the lane nearest to the centre line, not into the lane nearest the centre line. All it states is you can’t be making a left turn from the outside lane of a multi-lanes road (unless for some reason signage states you can).
KatMeowO

Post by KatMeowO »

It's proving to be a bit of a complicated thing to really nail down and prove but it seems that if it's clear you can turn into the far lane, however if there is other traffic you are required to turn into the closest lane available.

https://www.drivesmartbc.ca/intersectio ... rrect-lane - that link also quotes some reference links all stating the same opinion :) I think it's also common sense to do this, as this way people can turn right and left at the same time into the intersection, thus improving traffic flow. But then that's implying common sense, which really isn't all that common these days.... [icon_lol2.gif]

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”