Driving along... earbuds in... WHAT ARE YOU DOING!

Home of the traffic rant.
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Driving along... earbuds in... WHAT ARE YOU DOING!

Post by CapitalB »

What are you listening to there? Is it more important than the sounds of the road you should be aware of while driving?

I feel like I've been seeing this more and more lately and I don't know how on earth people think this is a reasonable idea.
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Driving along... earbuds in... WHAT ARE YOU DOING!

Post by GordonH »

Sorry officer I did not hear you.... I have my earbuds in (siren on & lights flashing), I could see this going over real well. :laugh:
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

Is it against any regulations or laws? Is it really any different than listening to the vehicle sound system with the volume turned high?
I’m not supporting doing this, nor have I done it myself, but people do dumb things all the time.
At least they aren’t disturbing every else like the people that cruise by with the volume so high you can feel the bass vibrations two blocks away.
You and 71 others Like this post
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

LANDM wrote:Is it against any regulations or laws? Is it really any different than listening to the vehicle sound system with the volume turned high?
I’m not supporting doing this, nor have I done it myself, but people do dumb things all the time.
At least they aren’t disturbing every else like the people that cruise by with the volume so high you can feel the bass vibrations two blocks away.

It's not allowed.

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/can-you-legally-w ... -1.1615620

"According to the BC Superintendent of Motor Vehicles, headphones can be used while driving, but only for the purpose of hands-free communication. That means listening to music on your headphones while behind the wheel is illegal. All music must come through your vehicle's sound system."
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

LANDM wrote:Is it against any regulations or laws? Is it really any different than listening to the vehicle sound system with the volume turned high?

Comes to mind the people who walk along the railway tracks with their earbuds in and get run down by a train. Smart, not!
Waste not
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Bsuds wrote:It's not allowed.

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/can-you-legally-w ... -1.1615620

"According to the BC Superintendent of Motor Vehicles, headphones can be used while driving, but only for the purpose of hands-free communication. That means listening to music on your headphones while behind the wheel is illegal. All music must come through your vehicle's sound system."

The article you quote and link is partially correct. Before I'd rely on Linda Steele, formerly of CTV, I'd go by what the BC Legislations says :

Hands-free use of electronic device
    7 (1) Subject to subsection (2), a person may use an electronic device in a hands-free telephone function while driving or operating a motor vehicle on a highway, if the device
    (a) is installed in accordance with section 4 and within easy reach of the driver's seat, or worn securely on the person's body,
    (b) is voice-activated or requires only one touch in order to initiate, accept or end a call, and
    (c) in the case of a device that includes an earpiece, the earpiece is worn only in one ear.

(2) Subsection (1) (c) does not apply to a person who is driving or operating a motorcycle on a highway.

And before you say, ya but they are/aren't talking about.....

Prescribed electronic devices
    3 (1) The following electronic devices are prescribed for the purposes of paragraph (c) of the definition of "electronic device" in section 214.1 of the Act:
    (a) electronic devices that include a hands-free telephone function;
    (b) global positioning systems;
    (c) hand-held electronic devices, one of the purposes of which is to process or compute data;
    (d) hand-held audio players;
    (e) hand microphones;
    (f) televisions.

So, there's no differentiation between listening to your favorite tunes or a telephone call, one ear piece in a car, but you can have two on a motorcycle, and the fine appears to be $368.

BUT,,,, I've always wondered,,, why are there so many restrictions on ear pieces, when it is legal to drive if you are completely deaf ? If it's that important that you MUST be able to hear, then it would be reasonable that the deaf should be prohibited from driving.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

my5cents wrote:BUT,,,, I've always wondered,,, why are there so many restrictions on ear pieces, when it is legal to drive if you are completely deaf ? If it's that important that you MUST be able to hear, then it would be reasonable that the deaf should be prohibited from driving.

That would be a contravention of the BC Human Rights. Just like those (Paraplegic) that use hand controls for gas and brake.
Bring back the LIKE button.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

alanjh595 wrote:That would be a contravention of the BC Human Rights. Just like those (Paraplegic) that use hand controls for gas and brake.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating banning the hearing impaired, just making the point that IF hearing is so important that wearing two ear bud warrants a ticket, then it must be VERY important to have adequate hearing to operate a vehicle.

As for Human rights, if a certain deficit is ruled necessary for the safe operation of a vehicle, it would preclude human rights legislation. Certain deficits currently cause the prohibition of certain people from driving without running afoul of human rights legislation. Medical conditions, mental conditions, sight impaired etc.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

I don't see an issue with the rights of the completely deaf to drive.
Half the people on the road are blind.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

I don't get what the concern is around earbuds when the average vehicle's sound system can easily drown out road noises just as well as a pair of earbuds. `
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

TylerM4 wrote:I don't get what the concern is around earbuds when the average vehicle's sound system can easily drown out road noises just as well as a pair of earbuds. `

Yeah, the sounds of a screaming pedestrian, caught up in the undercarriage, can be difficult to drown out sometimes. other times, it's those annoying sirenes generated from the cross traffic emergency vehicles.
Let's not consider that to provide music to those earbuds, also requires the use hands and attention to operate that electronic device would be considered contrary to the Motor Vehicle Act of BC.
Of course, there are reasons why cars have both visual and auditory cues, like blinker sounds and sights on the dash. Then there are things like brake squealers and engine precursors prior to failure.
When you drive a motor vehicle, your first and foremost priority is to operate it safely for the benefit of yourself and out of respect for other people's lives.
Surely you can do that for 20 minutes at a time? If not, give up the privilege and do everyone a favour and take the bus. Grow-up and appreciate the privilege of driving.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

alanjh595 wrote:
TylerM4 wrote:I don't get what the concern is around earbuds when the average vehicle's sound system can easily drown out road noises just as well as a pair of earbuds. `

Yeah, the sounds of a screaming pedestrian, caught up in the undercarriage, can be difficult to drown out sometimes. other times, it's those annoying sirenes generated from the cross traffic emergency vehicles.
Let's not consider that to provide music to those earbuds, also requires the use hands and attention to operate that electronic device would be considered contrary to the Motor Vehicle Act of BC.
Of course, there are reasons why cars have both visual and auditory cues, like blinker sounds and sights on the dash. Then there are things like brake squealers and engine precursors prior to failure.
When you drive a motor vehicle, your first and foremost priority is to operate it safely for the benefit of yourself and out of respect for other people's lives.
Surely you can do that for 20 minutes at a time? If not, give up the privilege and do everyone a favour and take the bus. Grow-up and appreciate the privilege of driving.

Whoa there. Did you actually read my post? In no way do I advocate for loud music while driving.

My post was simply pointing out that banning earbuds while allowing car stereo's that do the exact same thing seems kinda silly. Right down to pushing buttons on the dash/steering wheel vs a pushing buttons on a portable device. It's like banning Coca Cola for health reasons, but allowing Pepsi.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Drivers who are doing something that hampers there ability to hear emergency vehicles need to stop doing whatever that is.
There is already enough drivers that don't know what to do when emergency vehicle are coming with siren & lights flashing.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

TylerM4 wrote:My post was simply pointing out that banning earbuds while allowing car stereo's that do the exact same thing seems kinda silly. Right down to pushing buttons on the dash/steering wheel vs a pushing buttons on a portable device. It's like banning Coca Cola for health reasons, but allowing Pepsi.

I was NOT picking on you personally, but rather agreeing with your opinion and chastising those ear-bud, brain dead drivers. I also disagree with those "licence plate rattlers" that are self imposing permanent ear damage that they will regret in their later years. I know this from my own personal experience.
I don't wish the effects of Tinnitus on anyone. It is painful, distracting, and permanent.

Tinnitus involves the annoying sensation of hearing sound when no external sound is present. Tinnitus symptoms include these types of phantom noises in your ears:

Ringing
Buzzing
Roaring
Clicking
Hissing
The phantom noise may vary in pitch from a low roar to a high squeal, and you may hear it in one or both ears. In some cases, the sound can be so loud it can interfere with your ability to concentrate or hear actual sound. Tinnitus may be present all the time, or it may come and go.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

CapitalB wrote:What are you listening to there? Is it more important than the sounds of the road you should be aware of while driving?

I feel like I've been seeing this more and more lately and I don't know how on earth people think this is a reasonable idea.

There are earbuds that are not noise cancelling that do allow in outside noise so as to not miss sirens etc. and they are getting more advanced. My earbuds allow me to hear people talking and birds chirping when I'm out for a run.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”