Driving along... earbuds in... WHAT ARE YOU DOING!

Home of the traffic rant.
jimmy4321
Guru

Re: Driving along... earbuds in... WHAT ARE YOU DOING!

Post by jimmy4321 »

People who have hearing issues , know and have compensated over time to rely on their sight and are accustomed to not putting themselves in situations where their sight or other senses are impaired.
Earbuds while driving i feel is wrong as its not on that level where you'd naturally compensate.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

jimmy4321 wrote:People who have hearing issues , know and have compensated over time to rely on their sight and are accustomed to not putting themselves in situations where their sight or other senses are impaired.
Earbuds while driving i feel is wrong as its not on that level where you'd naturally compensate.

? and somehow people who operate motorcycles have developed the same compensation for lack of hearing that the hearing impaired have ?

It just seems a bit off :

- The hearing impaired can operate a vehicle with no hearing at all, but a person with hearing will get a ticket (and an expensive ticket) for having two ear buds (but not one).

- A person operating a motorcycle can operate the vehicle with two ear buds, with immunity.

- We recently, on another thread, discussed that, the law requiring motorcycle helmets is waved for people wearing a cloth wrap on their head, called a turban.

If all of these requirement are so important, shouldn't they be applied uniformly ? Either they are required and necessary or they are not.

Doesn't our government value the safety of our, motorcyclists who wear two ear buds, or our motorcycle riding Indo Canadian Sikhs wearing turbans ?

"People who have hearing issues , know and have compensated over time to rely on their sight and are accustomed to not putting themselves in situations where their sight or other senses are impaired"

What if I just recently lost my hearing ? Is there a waiting period in which I can't operate a vehicle until these special compensating powers kick in ?
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
spooker

Post by spooker »

my5cents wrote:What if I just recently lost my hearing ? Is there a waiting period in which I can't operate a vehicle until these special compensating powers kick in ?

I'm going to draw a parallel with people who have vision problems but are still legal to drive ... there was no delay in my getting behind the wheel (except for the recovery time from the rest of my injuries) ... just like a deaf person has to be more aware of their surroundings to compensate for the missing sense, I have to move my head more often to compensate for the missing field of vision ... right after my accident I had to think about it, after 30 years it's now part of my habits ...

Personally, I won't use earbuds as they block out too much other sounds necessary to be aware of my surroundings ... and the number of times I "surprise" someone I pass on a trail since they are wearing earbuds and couldn't hear my announcement just makes me shake my head ...

In a car, people are already so compromised as to not be able to hear through the windows, over the fans, or over the radio that it almost seems like earbuds won't worsen an already bad situation ...
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Like I suggested before, there are earbuds that don't block out external noise.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

BUT, they still require "operating a MV while distracted by electronic device".

Still have to turn it on, change the playlist, or answer the phone by touching the device.
Bring back the LIKE button.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

alanjh595 wrote:BUT, they still require "operating a MV while distracted by electronic device".

Still have to turn it on, change the playlist, or answer the phone by touching the device.

The violation for using two ear pieces falls under "Hands-free use of electronic device"

The violation is using an electronic device with an earpiece in both ears, nothing else. You could be completely legally using the device with the exception of the two ear pieces, thus the violation.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

my5cents wrote:
alanjh595 wrote:BUT, they still require "operating a MV while distracted by electronic device".

The violation for using two ear pieces falls under "Hands-free use of electronic device"

The violation is using an electronic device with an earpiece in both ears, nothing else. You could be completely legally using the device with the exception of the two ear pieces, thus the violation.

If you are seen touching the device.....you will get the fine. Good luck.
Bring back the LIKE button.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

alanjh595 wrote:If you are seen touching the device.....you will get the fine. Good luck.

What I'm saying is the violation for wearing two ear pieces is not conditional on touching the device, it's separate.

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”