Where did people learn to merge onto the bridge, yukkk

Home of the traffic rant.
Bottled_Rain
Board Meister

Post by Bottled_Rain »

gardengirl wrote:This all started with your admitted inabilty to change lanes on Benvoulin.

You're correct, it is not a highway. (I did not find a definition of highway in the driver's manual). That said, I shudder to think of what you may do on the highway if you can't change lanes on Benvoulin.

There are many much more congested and faster moving roads. Whatever did you do in Vancouver? Benvoulin is nothing compared to most of the main thorofares at the coast.

I didn't say I had the inability to change lanes...learn to read. I made a comment that drivers in Kelowna don't seem to like letting people merge or change lanes, making it more annoying and dangerous to do so. I prefer not to change lanes back and forth back and forth like so many other drivers do. This causes too many accidents...weaving in and out of traffic.

You should read the "road rage" thread in "Kelowna News" to try and get the jist of what I'm saying. Too many arrogant, fast, angry drivers on the road!

I did just fine in Vancouver....a perfect driving record as I said before.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

Bottled_Rain wrote:
onestop67 wrote:
fluffy wrote:It's amazing that a concept as simple as "Merge Alternately" can be so hard for some folks to grasp. I wonder if these are the same ones who have difficulty with "Keep Right Except to Pass"?

I am thinking of installing one of those little programmable electronic signs in my rear window...keep right would be programmed in the #1 position for my daily drives down Benvoulin. People figure because they are turning left IN 3 MILES, it is okay to do 50 k in the left lane, usually right beside someone doing 50 k in the right lane.

Last time I checked, Benvoulin wasn't a highway. I don't think the left lane is a fast lane on Benvoulin as it's not a highway.

Since people in this city don't let you change lanes or merge, I do stay in the left lane down Benvoulin and turn left at KLO.

Don't like it? Pass me on the right then.....you shouldn't be speeding anyway.

Oh, silly me. This is exactly what you said.

"people in this city don't let you change lanes or merge"

It is quite clear by your sweeping generalization that you cannot manage to maneuver your car through the city without disrupting the traffic flow.

Funny, other people seem to be able to change lanes. Other people have the ability to merge. I use Benvoulin quite regularly, I don't have a problem with it. I cross the bridge twice a day, every day. I am able to merge onto the bridge from the west side and again from the east when I go home.

Did you get nothing from the recommendations from the Driver's Manual?
Whether you want to call a multi-lane road a highway or not, the principle remains the same.

It did not say "If you are doing the speed limit you are absolutely in the right and can travel in any lane you want."
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
CountryAtHeart
Lord of the Board

Post by CountryAtHeart »

This is kind of funny...all this talk about seniors, and driving records etc....

This was quite some time ago, probably 25 -30 years ago in Peachland. This old lady lived on Beach Avenue. I can't remember her name anymore. Anyways, she was backing out of her driveway and backed into a car travelling down Beach Ave. The police were called out. The police man asked her why she didn't stop and wait for the car to go by. And this is priceless...
She said " I have lived in this town for some odd years! Everybody knows where I live and if I want to back out of my driveway then they should stop for me!

The officer took her licence away from her.
Bottled_Rain
Board Meister

Post by Bottled_Rain »

gardengirl wrote:
Bottled_Rain wrote:
onestop67 wrote:
fluffy wrote:It's amazing that a concept as simple as "Merge Alternately" can be so hard for some folks to grasp. I wonder if these are the same ones who have difficulty with "Keep Right Except to Pass"?

I am thinking of installing one of those little programmable electronic signs in my rear window...keep right would be programmed in the #1 position for my daily drives down Benvoulin. People figure because they are turning left IN 3 MILES, it is okay to do 50 k in the left lane, usually right beside someone doing 50 k in the right lane.

Last time I checked, Benvoulin wasn't a highway. I don't think the left lane is a fast lane on Benvoulin as it's not a highway.

Since people in this city don't let you change lanes or merge, I do stay in the left lane down Benvoulin and turn left at KLO.

Oh, silly me. This is exactly what you said.

"people in this city don't let you change lanes or merge"

It is quite clear by your sweeping generalization that you cannot manage to maneuver your car through the city without disrupting the traffic flow.

Funny, other people seem to be able to change lanes. Other people have the ability to merge. I use Benvoulin quite regularly, I don't have a problem with it. I cross the bridge twice a day, every day. I am able to merge onto the bridge from the west side and again from the east when I go home.

Did you get nothing from the recommendations from the Driver's Manual?
Whether you want to call a multi-lane road a highway or not, the principle remains the same.

It did not say "If you are doing the speed limit you are absolutely in the right and can travel in any lane you want."

Wow...you seem like a really disgruntled person. When I was specifically talking about Benvoulin, I was responding to a post by Onestop in which he was tallking about Benvoulin. I remarked that I travel in the left lane on Benvoulin doing the speed limit because I make a left hand turn onto KLO and if people are going to tailgate me when I'm doing the speed limit, why should I move to the right lane, let them speed, then move back into the left lane. I'm already in the lane I need to be in. Benvoulin is not that busy of a road and I wasn't referring to Benvoulin specifically when talking about people not letting you into a lane when you have your signal on. I am referring to streets like Harvey. You try to change 3 lanes to get into the left lane to turn left on Banks road for example....see how many people on a busy day actually hold back to let you change lanes rather than speed up to block you from the lane change. My point is, if it's easier for a person to be in the left lane of a busy street like Harvey because they are about to make a left hand turn, why should they feel pressured into going into the far right hand lane when someone is tailgating them. I find it disturbing that you take the side of reckless speeding drivers over someone who is careful.

You don't know me or how I drive, so stop painting me to be someone who can't drive or change lanes...sheesh...
Bottled_Rain
Board Meister

Post by Bottled_Rain »

BTW...I definately know how to merge...I grew up on the North Shore where 4 lanes merge into 1 lane during mega rush hour. We had courtesy and common sense to take turns.
Bottled_Rain
Board Meister

Post by Bottled_Rain »

gardengirl wrote:
Bottled_Rain wrote:
onestop67 wrote:

you cannot manage to maneuver your car through the city without disrupting the traffic flow.

What in god's name are you talking about? You don't know me or how I drive, yet you are telling me I can't drive without disrupting traffic flow? How do I disrupt traffic flow? I keep up with traffic, but don't let crazy tailgaters wanting to go 120kms intimidate me to drive at unsafe speeds. How is that disrupting traffic flow? This is saving lives. This post is going nowhere fast, so I don't think I'll respond to your angry posts any further. Carry on speeding and driving recklessly. You'll see when you get into a car accident one day that driving recklessly is stupid.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

It's great that you seem to think that you are the self-appointed keeper of the speed for everyone on the road. You seriously think you are saving lives???? I wasn't aware you carried such great responsibility.

Again, again, again, the Driver's Manual CLEARLY recommends that

if your car is travelling slower than the traffic in the lane, you should pull over to the right and let them pass.
It even says if you are doing the speed limit, you should still do this.

This is what defensive driving is all about. Instead of trying to be the Traffic Cop for the whole world, you could be diffusing the situation.
You cannot make someone drive differently, you can get out of their way and allow them to go on. Just as they can't make you speed up, you can't make them slow down. Your attitude will only aggravate them further.
This is also covered in the Driver's Manual.

By the way, if you can't get into the turn lane to get onto Banks Rd, you could easily drive up to Leathead and do it there.

What are you not getting?
onestop67
Guru

Post by onestop67 »

I'm still laughing at the part where bottled told YOU to learn to read. It is so ironic that I peed a little.

I also like how she changes others posts to try and make them look like they are all psycopathic drivers...I don't recall you or me ever saying we speed or drive recklessly.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

Bottled rain, Have you EVER considered helping out the flow of traffic??? There is no law saying you have to do it but it takes very little to use the right lane to let faster traffic by, then take the left near your turn.. unless you feel a great need to be an obstacle because they are driving faster than you!

You can be part of the problem..or part of the solution.. You are not part of the solution.

Re your example of Banks Rd.. NOT ONE PERSON suggested you get in the right hand lane (but you did). You can use the middle one FWIW..
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

50-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:Bottled rain, Have you EVER considered helping out the flow of traffic??? There is no law saying you have to do it but it takes very little to use the right lane to let faster traffic by, then take the left near your turn.. unless you feel a great need to be an obstacle because they are driving faster than you!

You can be part of the problem..or part of the solution.. You are not part of the solution.

Re your example of Banks Rd.. NOT ONE PERSON suggested you get in the right hand lane (but you did). You can use the middle one FWIW..

Three lanes??!!! Oh no, what to do, what to do......
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

(oh so bad)
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

Couldn't help myself.
casey60
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by casey60 »

The signage is not very good on that hill. Its similar from downtown onto the bridge as well. Just over a shorter distance. Racing in the left lane till the barrier and then wiggle into the right lane. Maybe some flashing signs that state, Merg here with arrows to the right may help. Actually in Europe they use large visual signs showing an actual zipper. Maybe thats what we need.
Mama
Lord of the Board

Post by Mama »

:125: GG, you kill me! :130:
MY GREATEST FEAR IS, THERE IS NO PMS, AND THIS IS MY REAL PERSONALITY.
Bottled_Rain
Board Meister

Post by Bottled_Rain »

50-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:Bottled rain, Have you EVER considered helping out the flow of traffic??? There is no law saying you have to do it but it takes very little to use the right lane to let faster traffic by, then take the left near your turn.. unless you feel a great need to be an obstacle because they are driving faster than you!

The majority of the time, I am in the right lane, but when I decide to be in the left lane because I'm about to make a left hand turn, I will stay in that lane despite a tailgater. I normally go 60km to 75km...so if someone feels the need to tailgate at 75+...tough beans.

I always travel to the right on highways because I don't speed excessivly.

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”