Dave Robertson - Regional Director West

cybergal
Board Meister

Re: Dave Robertson - Regional Director West

Post by cybergal »

You asked a great question, " Just how much of your tax $ has gone directly towards your community?".

I forgot to say there has been many grants-in-aid to the local North Westside Communities Hall over the years (Jim Edgson strongly supports the NWCA) and the latest grant-in-aid was for $1,000 to the North Westside Communities Association website. There was already a local website with much more information contained before the NWCA started up their website. This other local website doesn't cost the community anything.... its free. So why do we need to spend $1,000 for a website?? Just like we needed a $1,000 flag pole?
http://www.okanaganlakebc.com/

"You may never know what results come from your action."
"But if you do nothing, there will be no results."
~ Gandhi

People should be government, not politicians!!
Get out and vote, democracy is not a spectator sport!!
brentville
Fledgling

Post by brentville »

Firefly wrote:
brentville wrote:Hello Firefly

I would like to bring the following thread to your attention:
http://forums.castanet.net/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=15550

by brentville:
This Regional District has done nothing for "our community" in the 27 years I've lived here except hang off our wallets. Westside got all their properties developed, sewers, water, pools, arenas, lights, sidewalks, etc. paid for while we got JACK.....now the Ministry/MLA just gives it all away....this is a bad joke right? No, it gets better....

Mr. Edgson told us that he was pushing for a partial reduction in taxation for these items. Just who thought of this? As far as I'm concerned, our current Director is pushing for what he was told would be offered....if not, where did this idea come from?
I'm afraid this is NOT going to be even close to acceptable:

I take your car, give it away and you continue to make the [partial] payments!

I told him that I'd pay for the damn lawsuit myself if that was all he was requesting.

Mr. Robertson, as our new Regional Director what, if anything, would you propose?
Be careful, your car may go missing too....lol.

Thank you
brentville

Rob Turner addressed this item very well. After the election the CO West Director, RDCO, and Westbank will have to hold discussions with the Province. Next spring there will be a new provincial MLA here who will be involved. Believe me, I am not the sort of guy who can easily be pushed to accept "what is told would be offered". I must truthfully tell you, however, I am not fully informed on this topic right now, but am clever enough to become completely and "objectively" informed after the election.
One issue I will be dealing with up north where I live is the fact that many of our tax dollars do not return to us. A case in point-we are trying to get our "parks" assessment to actually fund and build us some parks out here.

Don't take my car Brentville. It's a beat up 14 year old gas guzzling PU. And if you take it, I can't go to RDCO to fight for your interests.

Hi Firefly

Thank you for the reply.

All we need to hear to gain local support are 2 things:
[1] You consider a giveaway of our RDCO assets without fair compensation WRONG.
[2] You would promise to NEGOTIATE fair compensation.

If you disagree with any part of the above statements, then please let us know now.

I've added this thread to the Brent Road HomeOwner's Association webpage: http://www.ok1st.com and direct our residents to it by email.

Thank you
brentville
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Mr. Robertson, as our new Regional Director what, if anything, would you propose?
Be careful, your car may go missing too....lol.

Thank you
brentville

Hi Brentville,
On my brochure I state in big letters that "I never take a position unless I can support it with facts, logic, and sound reasoning" So,to propose anything, I would have to be elected Director. I could then talk to Westbank and Peachland Mayor and Council as well as our newly elected MLA. I would then gain the "facts", be aware of the politics involved, and be able to work in your interests using "logic and sound reasoning."
This tax issue you have is only a small symptom of the much greater problem of non-accountability for the entire District. My taxes have skyrocketed over the past two years, yet no improvement of services has been noted. We don't know where our money is going or how much is being returned to us in services. As Director I'll have to do an audit of the District, a huge task, and one unlikely to gain the enthusiastic cooperation of those involved.

Hi Firefly

Thank you for the reply.

If you disagree with any part of the above statements, then please let us know now.

I'll say "affirmative" to both your questions, subject to my comments above. As Director I/we would have significant leverage over the new MLA.
(1) He'll be going into an election this spring.
(2) His constituency will cover the same area as COW.
(3) He cannot win without our support.
(4) He will have to give us what we demand (fix Westside Road, fix our skewed tax structure, give fringe areas the water and fire protection they deserve)
Nomination for provincial MLA is Nov. 17. Get hold of the candidates and talk to them-they will have more power than I would have as your Director, but as your Director they will have to listen to me/us.
cybergal
Board Meister

Post by cybergal »

As Director I'll have to do an audit of the District, a huge task, and one unlikely to gain the enthusiastic cooperation of those involved.

I think an audit is a great idea and I feel badly needed. Especially when you look at the 2 1/2 MILLION DOLLAR SURPLUS in these garbage disposal accounts. I also think RDCO spent too much on educating us about garbage as well. There was approx. $789,833.35 spent on Composter susidization, Advertising & Promo, and Comm. Education from 2002 up to July and Sept 2008. http://www.okanaganlakebc.com/community/personal/westside_road/garbage_rdco_02-08.htm

If you look at the figures at the link above, does anyone else feel RDCO should have an audit done on the amount of money that is surplus in these accounts? I am not an accountant but I believe we are over paying for garbage disposal, and why is there such a surplus of 2 1/2 Million dollars?

The NORD Landfill (Armstrong) is run entirely on Tipping Fees and no tax is charged, but at RDCO they charge us tax for the Westside Sanitary Landfill.
brentville
Fledgling

Post by brentville »

Firefly wrote:Hi Brentville,
On my brochure I state in big letters that "I never take a position unless I can support it with facts, logic, and sound reasoning" So,to propose anything, I would have to be elected Director. I could then talk to Westbank and Peachland Mayor and Council as well as our newly elected MLA. I would then gain the "facts", be aware of the politics involved, and be able to work in your interests using "logic and sound reasoning."
This tax issue you have is only a small symptom of the much greater problem of non-accountability for the entire District. My taxes have skyrocketed over the past two years, yet no improvement of services has been noted. We don't know where our money is going or how much is being returned to us in services. As Director I'll have to do an audit of the District, a huge task, and one unlikely to gain the enthusiastic cooperation of those involved.
Hi Firefly

Thank you for the reply.

I'll say "affirmative" to both your questions, subject to my comments above. As Director I/we would have significant leverage over the new MLA.
(1) He'll be going into an election this spring.
(2) His constituency will cover the same area as COW.
(3) He cannot win without our support.
(4) He will have to give us what we demand (fix Westside Road, fix our skewed tax structure, give fringe areas the water and fire protection they deserve)
Nomination for provincial MLA is Nov. 17. Get hold of the candidates and talk to them-they will have more power than I would have as your Director, but as your Director they will have to listen to me/us.

Hi firefly

I've been waiting for a reply by Edgson to the Lake Okanagan Resort Development Variance Permit VP-08-12 posts [his thread].....property tax breaks for LOR? I see no reply as yet on a very important issue and only 5 days to go.....hmmmmm?

It sounds like you'll address the complaints voiced here with "logic and sound reasoning".
Attempting to repair our "skewed tax structure" is not going to make you very popular with RDCO Administration. On the other hand, we pay their wages and accountablity in the tough economic times ahead is exactly what the electorate will want. You have my support!

Thank you
brentville
Bartlett

Post by Bartlett »

Brentville....

Thanks for your post. Sad to say but, I am glad I am not the only one who does not get a response to the questions submitted to our current Regional Director, Jim Edgson. It seems to be the basis of his platform...."Gee if the question is too tough...ah I just won't answer...then uh maybe they will go away", says Jim to himself! :skyisfalling:

Please Brentville...spread the word at the South end of Central Okanagan West. We are working hard to educate people up here in the northern area and it is working. Slowly but surely Jim's empire is crumbling!!! That's what happens when you ignore the people who elect you...then pay you!
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

It sounds like you'll address the complaints voiced here with "logic and sound reasoning".
Attempting to repair our "skewed tax structure" is not going to make you very popular with RDCO Administration. On the other hand, we pay their wages and accountability in the tough economic times ahead is exactly what the electorate will want. You have my support!

Thank you
brentville

Thank you very much for your support Brentville. I hope I will have your support over the next three years as well. By that, I mean we need community organizers to pull their communities together, interact with me, and together we can make good things happen. I can't do much all by myself, but together we can all work wonders.
cybergal
Board Meister

Post by cybergal »

Did you see Dave Robertson's candidacy on TV yet? He had a few ad spots that I saw. One was in the middle of CHBC news. Here is a link to okanaganlakebc.com where you can watch the video of his TV spot in case you missed it.
http://www.okanaganlakebc.com/community ... ertson.htm
Bartlett

Post by Bartlett »

Mr. Robertson....

Thanks for throwing your hat in the ring and for answering my questions when asked to do so.

I do hope this respect you have exhibited to voters continues in your term as Regional Director!
cybergal
Board Meister

Post by cybergal »

Thanks Dave for answering my question too. You made me happy :discodance: If like you say you can get us water faster by putting in a temporary standpipe at say La Casa or the Killiney Beach Hall, and we could have access to treated water sooner than later, then that would be a help until we can get the water system built. As you know everyone here has been waiting very patiently for studies to be completed. All we have right now is some locations where test holes could be drilled down at Fintry Delta, but no testing has been mentioned yet in behind Valley of the Sun for a gavity fed system. You have my vote!! :nyah:
sheltiepup
Fledgling

Post by sheltiepup »

First of all...there is no 2.5 million surplus and accountacy skills are obviously lacking. Those are revenues to fund the programs if you really look at the information. There are also corresponding figures thatt are not posted (selective editing?) that would show expenditures. Only after you subtract what was actually spent from what was actually collected...so you find out if there was a surplus or deficit.

There is financial accountability. It's called the annual Financial Report and Annual financial statements. They are available from the rDco and even on its web site.

Good luck to all candidates. Choose wisely.
cybergal
Board Meister

Post by cybergal »

From sheltiepup: Those are revenues to fund the programs if you really look at the information.

If you look a little closer you will see that there are also expense accounts in those accounts .... there is not just revenue in those accounts. Revenue minus expense is equal to a surplus or deficit.

There was no selective editing if you would have looked a little closer at the information you would have seen that the information was taken off the documents received from the Regional District of Central Okanagan by the using the Freedom of Information act. The documents are posted to the web so you can double check the figures and see for yourself that there was no selective editing of those accounts.

Are you an accredited accountant Sheltiepup to back up your claim?
westside res

Post by westside res »

schnurro...You have done so much damage to Dave's campaign...You have made me want to vote for Jim. Stop your smear campaign. That is turning people off!!!
cybergal
Board Meister

Post by cybergal »

westside res on Today, 8:20 pm
schnurro...You have done so much damage to Dave's campaign...You have made me want to vote for Jim.

LOL. Go ahead, Jim probably won't win anyway ... at least not in my subdivision who have been waiting for word on the water report that was completed by Summit Environmental June 23, 2008 ... RDCO and Jim Edgson have been sitting on that report since June and have done nothing!! Just yesterday I heard there is a meeting scheduled for Dec 4, at 5 pm... and notice the date and time. Thats so that working people can't attend I suppose. Jim Edgson doesn't like dissention. :hailjo:
Bartlett

Post by Bartlett »

Kuddos to you Dave for running an open, honest campaign. I believe you deserved the position this time around but sadly that is not the case.
Thanks for running!

Return to “Central Okanagan Regional District”