UFOs, and lots of 'em!

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
Tacklewasher
Übergod

Re: UFOs, and lots of 'em!

Post by Tacklewasher »

Dizzy1 wrote:Perhaps that's the barrier that we need to overcome before we have First Contact.

The barrier is the vast distances involved, and the limitations on travel speed. Take a look at a drawing of the milky way and imagine a circle with a radius of about 100 light years around Earth. That's as far as our radio signals have traveled. Pretty small portion of the galaxy. So it's no surprise that no one has responded to us as no one has heard us.

I get that there is probably life out there, I just hold 0 hope that we will find it before our star explodes.

And I know the talk about UFO's and aliens visiting earth is as reliable as Bigfoot sightings, chemtrails, and whatever else the whackjobs have dreamed up this week.
Passion4Truth
Übergod

Post by Passion4Truth »

Nothing new this week :)
Strange times are these in which we live
 when old and young are taught in falsehoods school. 
And the one man that dares to tell the truth 
is called at once a lunatic and fool 

-- Plato. 

ValB58
Banned

Post by ValB58 »

Passion4Truth wrote:Nothing new this week :)

BIG surprise......
Passion4Truth
Übergod

Post by Passion4Truth »

Actually, it appears there is something new this week pertinent to this thread ;)

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#133177

Thanks for pointing that out Bman :)

-- Plato. 

ValB58
Banned

Post by ValB58 »

But she did say current weather conditions, with swirling low cloud and fog, might have reflected light from somewhere.

The most important statement in that article.
Passion4Truth
Übergod

Post by Passion4Truth »

Might have reflected light from somewhere, might not have, I didn't say either way. I just said it was pertinent to this thread.

-- Plato. 

Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Tacklewasher wrote:They don't use a Einstein-Rosen bridge. I was thinking of those that use wormholes, and added Star Wars because. Guess I should have included Star Trek instead.

More blasphemy LOL! ;)
Tacklewasher wrote:Mind you, the Prequels sucked so bad. I have hope for 7-9.

I'll give you Episode 1 but 2+3 made up for 1 :)

Tacklewasher wrote:Guess we have to talk cannon vs. non-cannon if we are going there. Some of Star Trek, especially a few of the movies, were really bad.

As far as movies go, I'll give you The Voyage Home and Insurrection, but that's it, well, maybe Voyager ;)
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Tacklewasher
Übergod

Post by Tacklewasher »

Dizzy1 wrote:As far as movies go, I'll give you The Voyage Home and Insurrection, but that's it, well, maybe Voyager ;)

Really? You liked the first movie? You liked the the fan dance the Final Frontier? You liked Nemesis? *bleep*, I still haven't watched Into Darkness a second time. *bleep* is the Enterprise doing at the bottom of the ocean?

And how about the whole Enterprise series staring Bakula?
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Tacklewasher wrote:The barrier is the vast distances involved, and the limitations on travel speed. Take a look at a drawing of the milky way and imagine a circle with a radius of about 100 light years around Earth. That's as far as our radio signals have traveled. Pretty small portion of the galaxy. So it's no surprise that no one has responded to us as no one has heard us.

It is the barrier, but although that barrier will be shared by any other species out, it is very plausible that they have overcome it. And I know I keep coming to this Star Trek reference of them waiting for us to finally overcome that first hurdle before the make contact, but to me it really does make sense. Even the whole Prime Directive is a very well thought out "theory" that a species should evolve on its own until they reach the point to overcome those barriers.

Tacklewasher wrote:And I know the talk about UFO's and aliens visiting earth is as reliable as Bigfoot sightings, chemtrails, and whatever else the whackjobs have dreamed up this week.

Most of those I agree with you on. UFOs are exactly that, Unidentified Flying Objects but that can be anything and 9 out of 10 times it is something as simple as a man made object which eventually is identified, so automatically connecting a UFO straight to something from another world is a stretch.

As for the other 2 things, well, you know my stand on those LOL ;)
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Tacklewasher wrote:
Really? You liked the first movie? You liked the the fan dance the Final Frontier? You liked Nemesis? *bleep*, I still haven't watched Into Darkness a second time. *bleep* is the Enterprise doing at the bottom of the ocean?

What was wrong with ST5 and Nemesis? Seriously, those two get such a beating and have to be the most underrated of the movies LOL! I'll admit, ST1 is an acquired taste, but I thought it was actually a good tie in from the series to movies.

Into Darkness was fantastic! As much as I dislike this new timeline. JJ has done an amazing job with the reboots! The cast really works well together and make a very believable younger OST crew.
Tacklewasher
Übergod

Post by Tacklewasher »

Dizzy1 wrote:What was wrong with ST5 and Nemesis? Seriously, those two get such a beating and have to be the most underrated of the movies LOL! I'll admit, ST1 is an acquired taste, but I thought it was actually a good tie in from the series to movies.

Into Darkness was fantastic! As much as I dislike this new timeline. JJ has done an amazing job with the reboots! The cast really works well together and make a very believable younger OST crew.

I don't think I can talk to you anymore. If you liked Nemesis, I doubt there is anything more to discuss.

:)
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Tacklewasher wrote:I don't think I can talk to you anymore. If you liked Nemesis, I doubt there is anything more to discuss.

:)

LOL!
ValB58
Banned

Post by ValB58 »

My favorite is "Trouble with Tribbles" Star Trek 1967.

Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Tacklewasher wrote:Really? You liked the first movie? You liked the the fan dance the Final Frontier? You liked Nemesis? *bleep*, I still haven't watched Into Darkness a second time. *bleep* is the Enterprise doing at the bottom of the ocean?

I've watched Darkness over and over and over and....pick up something new each time. Thoroughly enjoyed Scott Bakula in Quantum Leap and loved him in Enterprise. That series seemed to be a lot darker though.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Tacklewasher
Übergod

Post by Tacklewasher »

Fancy wrote:I've watched Darkness over and over and over and....pick up something new each time. Thoroughly enjoyed Scott Bakula in Quantum Leap and loved him in Enterprise. That series seemed to be a lot darker though.

When Enterprise went with the alien nazi's, I knew it was done.

But really, they have 72 torpedo's they know contain improved humans, but have to fight with Khan for his blood?

Actually, hell with it. Just read these

https://www.google.ca/search?q=the+prob ... oATopYGIDw

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”