"Smart" Meters

Conspiracy theories and weird science discussions.
underscore
Übergod

Re: "Smart" Meters

Post by underscore »

Captain Awesome wrote:BC Hydro requires full access to THEIR equipment. They own it. It's theirs. As a home owner, you can not interfere with it in any way, disrupt its operation by trying to block out the communications, or draw funny doodles on it. If for some reason you think it's your property, and you have any say in the way how they operate - you're mistaken.

Oh I know, if you've followed my posts on these meters at all you'll know I'm not stupid enough to be worried about them. But for the one who are, they could add shielding material either near (ie far enough away to allow proper access) the meters, or on the inside of their homes near where the meter is mounted if they're so worried.

I should start selling copper mesh wallpaper...
cliffy1 wrote:Welcome to the asylum.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

underscore wrote:I should start selling copper mesh wallpaper...

...right next to tinfoil accessories.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

The danger of smart meters is not RF emissions, it is the inevitable path to time of use billing that will kill us slowly, one insidious bill at a time. Two tier billing rates was just the shot across the bow. Get ready sheeple.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
underscore
Übergod

Post by underscore »

^ there's no problem with two-tiered billing if its implemented correctly. Reducing the maximum load will keep the cost down.

Captain Awesome wrote:...right next to tinfoil accessories.

Yep. I'll hold a tinfoil hat making seminar every Thursday from 7-8.
The Rooster
Fledgling

Re: BC Hydro Smart Meter

Post by The Rooster »

With smart meters they can remotely access your meter from their office and see your usage . With a minor program upgrade , that will be inputted later, they will be able to remotely shut your power off without notice , it will also be a fail safe for their monopoly . Power companies from elsewhere will never be given access to these meters without paying massive fees upfront , thus this will discourage competition and promote a monopoly .What will stop them from overcharging and who will oversee them

Why would you replace an engine that works fine for a new one that has more parts that cost more to replace and you know nOTHING about and costs more in the long run ?

When has this kind of action ever worked out in the taxpayers favor , and who always benefits ?

I'll give you a hint , "It's never us"
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Ontario has 3 levels:

7pm to 7am and weekends/holidays .067¢ kWh
7am to 11am & 5pm to 7pm .104¢ kWh
11am to 5pm .124¢ kWh

http://www.ontarioenergyboard.ca/OEB/Co ... Prices#tou
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

The Rooster wrote:Why would you replace an engine that works fine for a new one that has more parts that cost more to replace and you know nOTHING about and costs more in the long run ?

That's not the same comparison is it? I would compare more with a telephone system. When a telephone system has a major overhaul and up-to-date technology, older phones just don't work the same so they would need replacing. Television - same thing happened. People had to change over from perfectly good working TV's if they still wanted the same channels.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
underscore
Übergod

Post by underscore »

The Rooster wrote:With smart meters they can remotely access your meter from their office and see your usage . With a minor program upgrade , that will be inputted later, they will be able to remotely shut your power off without notice , it will also be a fail safe for their monopoly . Power companies from elsewhere will never be given access to these meters without paying massive fees upfront , thus this will discourage competition and promote a monopoly .What will stop them from overcharging and who will oversee them

How is this different from now? They could leave everything with the old meters and a one tier system and just crank up the rates...
masen
Fledgling

Post by masen »

Responding to the Power Density where radio frequency is measured in microwatts per meter squared or cm squared is not an electrical measurement using an ordinary volt meter. This is pulsed energy in extremely small sharp pulses which can pass through 3 feet or soil, concrete etc. The 100 watts of electrical power used by a light bulb is in a wire, it is not wireless like the smart meters. These short pulses, according to thousands of accredited scientists have the ability to break up brain proteins, DNA and can interfere with many processes in the human body.
Dash5
Übergod

Post by Dash5 »

masen wrote:Responding to the Power Density where radio frequency is measured in microwatts per meter squared or cm squared is not an electrical measurement using an ordinary volt meter. This is pulsed energy in extremely small sharp pulses which can pass through 3 feet or soil, concrete etc. The 100 watts of electrical power used by a light bulb is in a wire, it is not wireless like the smart meters. These short pulses, according to thousands of accredited scientists have the ability to break up brain proteins, DNA and can interfere with many processes in the human body.

But only when emitted from a smart meter?
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

masen wrote:Responding to the Power Density where radio frequency is measured in microwatts per meter squared or cm squared is not an electrical measurement using an ordinary volt meter. This is pulsed energy in extremely small sharp pulses which can pass through 3 feet or soil, concrete etc. The 100 watts of electrical power used by a light bulb is in a wire, it is not wireless like the smart meters. These short pulses, according to thousands of accredited scientists have the ability to break up brain proteins, DNA and can interfere with many processes in the human body.

You are muddying the waters again.

'Whatever'watts per square metre is a measure of power output at a certain distance from a source. The 100 watts of power used by a light bulb is the power used by the lightbulb (the device). It, like all electrical devices, emits power. In the case of an ordinary light bulb, the power emitted is mostly heat. Only a fraction of the output is light.

Your claim that it's different with a light bulb because the power used is in a wire is false, I believe. Wires can and do emit signals (very much the same as a smart meter).

What do you think electricity is, anyway? It's electrons moving along a wire at a certain frequency.

As for your claim that "thousands of accredited scientists" have said smart meter pulses can do all that damage, I'd like to see a list.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
underscore
Übergod

Post by underscore »

You took several unrelated sentences and jammed them together.

masen wrote:Responding to the Power Density where radio frequency is measured in microwatts per meter squared or cm squared is not an electrical measurement using an ordinary volt meter.

I can't even sort out how obvious this should be.

masen wrote:This is pulsed energy in extremely small sharp pulses which can pass through 3 feet or soil, concrete etc.

At what amplitude? How many watts are needed at the source to result in a significant amplitude arising through 3 feet of material? I can tell you right now, it's not measured in microwatts.

masen wrote:These short pulses, according to thousands of accredited scientists have the ability to break up brain proteins, DNA and can interfere with many processes in the human body.

Again, AT WHAT AMPLITUDE? Getting directly blasted by gigawatts of power is different from microwatts. Just because it can do something, doesn't mean it will have that effect at lower levels. Consuming a cup of cyanide will kill you, consuming a molecule of it won't.
nextimeround
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by nextimeround »

The Rooster wrote:With smart meters they can remotely access your meter from their office and see your usage . With a minor program upgrade , that will be inputted later, they will be able to remotely shut your power off without notice , it will also be a fail safe for their monopoly . Power companies from elsewhere will never be given access to these meters without paying massive fees upfront , thus this will discourage competition and promote a monopoly .What will stop them from overcharging and who will oversee them

Why would you replace an engine that works fine for a new one that has more parts that cost more to replace and you know nOTHING about and costs more in the long run ?

When has this kind of action ever worked out in the taxpayers favor , and who always benefits ?

I'll give you a hint , "It's never us"

There's so many things to refute in these few paragraphs that I don't know where to begin.

So, I'll start here....

1) Fortis already holds a monopoly. In fact I believe all utility providers in Canada enjoy some degree of monopoly. The justification (whether right or wrong) is that the service costs too much to deliver reliably to have competitors scrapping for every house.

2) They are regulated by the BC Utilities Commission - that's who regulates what they charge us and provides oversight.

3) Taxpaying has nothing to do with this as Fortis is a public company, not a crown corporation. Therefore what they are doing is not intended to benefit tax payers.

4)It was already stated but I like the analogy - your analogy of replacing a perfectly good motor is weak. The phone analogy is much better in that at some point a technology refresh is warranted and normally most people accept that is a fact of life.

I've posted my concerns around smart meters and the inevitable dreaded "time of day" tiered billing. This issue continues to be obscured by misinformation and misunderstanding. I'm surprised by that and so wonder if I'm the only one (on this forum) seeing this coming down the pipe?
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

nextimeround wrote:1) Fortis already holds a monopoly. In fact I believe all utility providers in Canada enjoy some degree of monopoly. The justification (whether right or wrong) is that the service costs too much to deliver reliably to have competitors scrapping for every house.

I was really shocked to find out Fortis only services a tiny potion of BC, about 111,500 electricity customers.

The Rooster
Fledgling

Post by The Rooster »

1) Fortis already holds a monopoly. In fact I believe all utility providers in Canada enjoy some degree of monopoly. The justification (whether right or wrong) is that the service costs too much to deliver reliably to have competitors scrapping for every house.

2) They are regulated by the BC Utilities Commission - that's who regulates what they charge us and provides oversight.

A. And who controls the commission , the Lieberals

3) Taxpaying has nothing to do with this as Fortis is a public company, not a crown corporation. Therefore what they are doing is not intended to benefit tax payers.

B. the utilities commission is run by the Lieberals

4)It was already stated but I like the analogy - your analogy of replacing a perfectly good motor is weak.

C. So how many of the old meters have burst into flames , wasn't it Bill c-17 that the Lieberals passed that forces Smart meters on us .

The phone analogy is much better in that at some point a technology refresh is warranted and normally most people accept that is a fact of life.

D. Yes, but getting a sitting government to force upgrades is absurd and any large or small business generally saves up and doesn't dump their costs on their customers or the customers leave , but we can't give them the boot because they have a MONOPOLY!!!

I've posted my concerns around smart meters and the inevitable dreaded "time of day" tiered billing. This issue continues to be obscured by misinformation and misunderstanding. I'm surprised by that and so wonder if I'm the only one (on this forum) seeing this coming down the pipe?[/quote]

E. Yes, and I hope they are paying you well for your campaigning for them .

Return to “Conspiracies and Weird Science”