How to respond to an anti ‘Conspiracy Theorist’

Conspiracy theories and weird science discussions.
Passion4Truth
Übergod

Re: How to respond to an anti ‘Conspiracy Theorist’

Post by Passion4Truth »

Fancy wrote:You're stuck with the definition then - get used to it.

LOL
Seriously, this is funny, you CT, you.
Strange times are these in which we live
 when old and young are taught in falsehoods school. 
And the one man that dares to tell the truth 
is called at once a lunatic and fool 

-- Plato. 

Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

a belief that some covert but influential organization is responsible for an unexplained event:

So an anti conspiracist would believe an above-board organization may not be responsible for an unexplained event or is it may be responsible for an explained event - not sure how that would work. It is possible some could believe an organization may be somewhat responsible in a not so covert way.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Passion4Truth wrote:Referring anyone to the name CT is name calling, pretty simple, really, how did I know you'd be convinced otherwise? lol

Hypocrisy.
Passion4Truth wrote:LOL
Seriously, this is funny, you CT, you.

Never called you that.
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

I like this definition of conspiracy theory:

A conspiracy theory is an explanatory proposition that accuses a person, group or organization of having caused or covered up an event or phenomenon of great social, political, or economic impact.

The term "conspiracy theory" is used to indicate a narrative genre that includes a broad selection of (not necessarily related) arguments for the existence of grand conspiracies. Less illustrious uses refer to folklore and urban legend and a variety of explanatory narratives which are constructed with methodological flaws or biases. Originally a neutral term, since the mid-1960s it has acquired a somewhat derogatory meaning, implying a paranoid tendency to see the influence of some malign covert agency in events.
--Wikipedia

Therefore, a conspiracy theorist is one who adheres to, or promotes, the above.

Further to the definition above, conspiracy theory is also: "used to automatically dismiss claims that are deemed ridiculous, misconceived, paranoid, unfounded, outlandish or irrational."

One could draw the conclusion that a conspiracy theorist makes claims that are ridiculous, misconceived, paranoid, unfounded, outlandish or irrational, however if I were to put down a definition it would be expanded somewhat.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
Passion4Truth
Übergod

Post by Passion4Truth »

Nebula wrote:I like this definition of conspiracy theory:

Yes, there seems to be a few definitions. Such as: a person having a theory of people who conspire. Coincidentally admitted to by Fancy.

-- Plato. 

Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

You're too funny - can't talk to the topic so you're trying a different tactic. Try using the quote feature since you're telling tales again. You should take notes on what you initially posted - How to respond to an Anti 'Conspiracy Theorist' - so far you're batting zero lol!!
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

Can't argue effectively? No worries, you can always resort to childish behavior.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
Passion4Truth
Übergod

Post by Passion4Truth »

averagejoe wrote:Holy Cow! Fancy is a CT!!!!!!! I can't believe! I think I'll faint!!!!

Passion4Truth wrote:Yes, she has admitted to having theories on conspiracies, which does make her a conspiracy theorist unfortunately, and I know what that is like.

Fancy wrote:You can't even quote me admitting that - A lie repeated doesn't make it true.

OK, here is you admitting to belief in conspiracies:
Fancy wrote: - just the general concept people do conspire together (i.e. hazing).

First definition of theory from merriam-webster.com
Definition of THEORY
: the analysis of a set of facts in their relation to one another

Your theory:
Fancy wrote:People conspire to commit murder, steal, lie etc. and some get caught

Passion4Truth wrote:Hey, you want to throw EVERYTHING under the same "CT UMBRELLA", so thar ya go.

So now we have a couple definitions of conspiracy theorist, and established that Fancy is considered one, now maybe we can get back on topic.

-- Plato. 

Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

You're obviously misunderstanding a lot of things - the topic, my stance on it and what I believe in. Quoting averagejoe doesn't make the statement correct and since I don't believe in conspiracy theories you are not correct. As you believe calling people CT's is name calling, you have now resorted to same as pointed out earlier. Feel better?

I can't believe so much time is wasted talking about me but - whatever.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

A conspiracy theory is an explanatory proposition that accuses a person, group or organization of having caused or covered up an event or phenomenon of great social, political, or economic impact.

The term "conspiracy theory" is used to indicate a narrative genre that includes a broad selection of (not necessarily related) arguments for the existence of grand conspiracies. Less illustrious uses refer to folklore and urban legend and a variety of explanatory narratives which are constructed with methodological flaws or biases. Originally a neutral term, since the mid-1960s it has acquired a somewhat derogatory meaning, implying a paranoid tendency to see the influence of some malign covert agency in events.
--Wikipedia

Nebula: "Therefore, a conspiracy theorist is one who adheres to, or promotes, the above.

Further to the definition above, conspiracy theory is also: "used to automatically dismiss claims that are deemed ridiculous, misconceived, paranoid, unfounded, outlandish or irrational."

One could draw the conclusion that a conspiracy theorist makes claims that are ridiculous, misconceived, paranoid, unfounded, outlandish or irrational, however if I were to put down a definition it would be expanded somewhat."

Nope not me - interesting again how one poster is so desperate to change the definition.
Passion4Truth
Übergod

Post by Passion4Truth »

Fancy wrote:You're obviously misunderstanding a lot of things - the topic, my stance on it and what I believe in. Quoting averagejoe doesn't make the statement correct and since I don't believe in conspiracy theories you are not correct. As you believe calling people CT's is name calling, you have now resorted to same as pointed out earlier. Feel better?

Ya, I don't understand the topic. lol.I started this thread. You don't understand that propaganda label and why it was created. Not surprising in the least. I'm sorry you don't seem to understand English. You believe people conspire and that means you believe in conspiracies. I posted a definition of theory, which matches the comment you gave on people who conspire. Therefore you have a theory on those that conspire, which makes you a conspiracy theorist. You are the one wanting to throw everything under that same ridiculous umbrella.

Yes it IS name calling, but you have done it so many times (not as much as Neb, just Google your user name and ct, as I have mentioned before) so turnabout is fair play, is it not?

-- Plato. 

Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

Passion4Truth wrote:...turnabout is fair play, is it not?

In this case it is not.

As I pointed out before, it is the equivalent of you calling everyone who has a beer an alcoholic.

A person who understands that conspiracies do happen from time to time is not necessarily a conspiracy theorist. That term has been set aside for a certain group of people, as explained ad naseum, and conspiracy theorists, whether they like it or not, are stuck with it.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Passion4Truth wrote:Ya, I don't understand the topic. lol.I started this thread. You don't understand that propaganda label and why it was created. Not surprising in the least. I'm sorry you don't seem to understand English. You believe people conspire and that means you believe in conspiracies. I posted a definition of theory, which matches the comment you gave on people who conspire. Therefore you have a theory on those that conspire, which makes you a conspiracy theorist. You are the one wanting to throw everything under that same ridiculous umbrella.

Yes it IS name calling, but you have done it so many times (not as much as Neb, just Google your user name and ct, as I have mentioned before) so turnabout is fair play, is it not?

You started the thread but fail to address any points I have brought up regarding anti-conspiracy theorists.
The personal insult wasn't warranted and certainly not true.
You posted the first definition of theory (which doesn't apply in the context of my statement) but note there were more definitions posted on that site that should have made it clear it didn't make sense regarding my views.
No where have I stated that I was wanting to
throw everything under that same ridiculous umbrella
- those are your words only.
I haven't done any name calling (you have) but feel free to use the report button instead of derailing the thread.
Merriam-Webster's definition:

conspiracy theory
noun

: a theory that explains an event or set of circumstances as the result of a secret plot by usually powerful conspirators

— conspiracy theorist noun

Carry on....
Ranger66
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Ranger66 »

‘whether they like it or not, are stuck with it.”

If you review the comments you have made on the threads in this forum I’m sure the answer for who is a CT’er and who is not will be self-evident. You are stuck with your actions.
To cool to live, to smart to die or no good deed should go unpunished
Passion4Truth
Übergod

Post by Passion4Truth »

Passion4Truth wrote:...turnabout is fair play, is it not?

Nebula wrote:In this case it is not. As I pointed out before, it is the equivalent of you calling everyone who has a beer an alcoholic.

Not so. A person showing both the traits of believing in conspiracies and having a theory on them, can be labeled with those two words.

I am only trying to show how ridiculous that propaganda label actually is.

-- Plato. 

Return to “Conspiracies and Weird Science”