Poll on other intelligent life in the universe.

Conspiracy theories and weird science discussions.

Do you believe in the existence of other intelligent life in the universe?

Yes, but I don't believe in any alleged cover-ups.
48%
Yes and there is a huge cover-up in my opinion.
24%
Of course, because that would include God.
15%
Undecided.
No votes
No.
No votes
This is the silliest poll I have ever seen.
12%

Total votes: 33

Poindexter
Guru

Re: Poll on other intelligent life in the universe.

Post by Poindexter »

Is the Tardigrade the first sign of life on other planets? Doesn't appear to be intelligent but it's incredibly tough, has no other comparable species on Earth and can survive in space for long periods of time. Fascinating little creature that could possibly be from another planet.

Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
GenuinelyInterested
Board Meister

Post by GenuinelyInterested »

"Doesn't appear to be intelligent"?

By who's definition, does intelligence look like?

but it's incredibly tough

What characteristics are perceived as "tough"?

has no other comparable species on Earth and can survive in space for long periods of time

Do you know what organism you are looking at? Do you know under what magnification this photo is taken at? Would it be of complete surprise that this is a microscopic image of an "intestinal parasite" commonly found in a rhinoceros? OR maybe from a shark?
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

GenuinelyInterested wrote:By who's definition, does intelligence look like?

*personal attack removed*/ferri

GenuinelyInterested wrote:What characteristics are perceived as "tough"?

Tardigrades can withstand temperatures from just above absolute zero to well above the boiling point of water, pressures about 6 times stronger than pressures found in the deepest ocean trenches, ionizing radiation at doses hundreds of times higher than would kill a person, and the vacuum of outer space. They can go without food or water for nearly 120 years, drying out to the point where they are 3% or less water, only to rehydrate, forage, and reproduce.

GenuinelyInterested wrote:Do you know what organism you are looking at? Do you know under what magnification this photo is taken at? Would it be of complete surprise that this is a microscopic image of an "intestinal parasite" commonly found in a rhinoceros? OR maybe from a shark?

Not sure what rat hole you're trying to go done but this Extremophile lives in moss and lichen but if consumed by either of these animals, given it's hardiness, it might make due in the stomach but quite the random question and more than a little irrelevant.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Is the Tardigrade the first sign of life on other planets? Doesn't appear to be intelligent but it's incredibly tough, has no other comparable species on Earth and can survive in space for long periods of time. Fascinating little creature that could possibly be from another planet.

sorry but it is from earth and life on other planets will be light years ahead of us, it is how time-space works
Walking Wounded
Übergod

Post by Walking Wounded »

Fancy wrote:I wouldn't presume to say how many people believe in God but this is the first I've heard that he may be an alien.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chariots_of_the_Gods%3F
GenuinelyInterested
Board Meister

Poindexter wrote:Not sure what rat hole you're trying to go done but this Extremophile lives in moss and lichen but if consumed by either of these animals, given it's hardiness, it might make due in the stomach but quite the random question and more than a little irrelevant.

(Off topic remark removed by fluffy) You still have have not provided any answers to your mythical lifeforms.
Can you provide a link to dispel any/all doubt that this is a true and real life-form from another planet?
GenuinelyInterested
Board Meister

How to find and care for your pet Tardigrade.
http://www.wikihow.com/Find-and-Care-fo ... ater-Bear-)

I haven't been able to find anything of value that even remotely suggests that these things are capable of space travel.....or even really exist in real life.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

What are your academic qualifications?

Reply ↓

Mike Shaw
on September 8, 2012 at 8:16 am said:
Like you- an interest in science and nature. I have a degree in Fine Art,

http://tardigrade.us/2012/09/04/mike-sh ... and-space/
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

. While tardigrades can survive in extreme environments, they are not considered extremophiles because they are not adapted to live in these conditions. Their chances of dying increase the longer they are exposed to the extreme environment

http://serc.carleton.edu/microbelife/to ... index.html
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Ok I wont call it an extremophile. .

Still, there have been numerous studies on these tardigrades and how they manage not only to survive the vacum of space, but to go on and reproduce afterwards.

If an asteroid were to impact earth and carry a few away to another planet or moon that has water present, they could rehidrate and begin to colonize.

If mars once had water and was hit by an asteroid, debris could have landed on earth. Raises the possibilty that a similar organizm, one possibly even hardier, survived that trip and started life here on earth. Just the knowledge an organism like this exists opens the debate.

Are we the decendants of an alien? Not one that's intelligent by our standards, or driving a ufo, but one that has the unique ability to reproduce after prolonged exposure to the vacum of space.

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php ... nd-beyond/

Skip to about 21:00 in the video.
http://www.exploratorium.edu/tv/index.p ... ogram=1387
GenuinelyInterested
Board Meister

Poindexter wrote:Ok I wont call it an extremophile. .

Still, there have been numerous studies on these tardigrades and how they manage not only to survive the vacum of space, but to go on and reproduce afterwards.

If an asteroid were to impact earth and carry a few away to another planet or moon that has water present, they could rehidrate and begin to colonize.

If mars once had water and was hit by an asteroid, debris could have landed on earth. Raises the possibilty that a similar organizm, one possibly even hardier, survived that trip and started life here on earth. Just the knowledge an organism like this exists opens the debate.

Are we the decendants of an alien? Not one that's intelligent by our standards, or driving a ufo, but one that has the unique ability to reproduce after prolonged exposure to the vacum of space.

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php ... nd-beyond/

Skip to about 21:00 in the video.
http://www.exploratorium.edu/tv/index.p ... ogram=1387

Some pretty BIG IF's punctuated with allot of maybes. Do you believe that these organisms can speak and spell in the modern-day, English language? Would they be capable of mathematics? Could they "evolve"?
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

i think its a interesting animal, but far from starting life anywhere lol, i think poindexter was trying to suggest that aliens are like this animal, hence not capable of visiting other planets unless in same solar system .
GenuinelyInterested
Board Meister

lakevixen wrote:i think its a interesting animal, but far from starting life anywhere lol, i think poindexter was trying to suggest that aliens are like this animal, hence not capable of visiting other planets unless in same solar system .

How about "visiting" other planets within the "same solar system"?
Does the term "visiting" not infer that they/it will be "leaving" after "visiting"? When I visit a different country, I always plan/intend on returning. Doesn't the term "visit" mean that there is forethought and planning a return or a departure from....?
Another analogy of a "non-resident" organism, not intentionally inhabiting another world/organism, be considered and "infection"? Like the Flu/Herpes/gonorrhea/TB/Bubonic Plague/Ring worm....?
Passion4Truth
Übergod

Post by Passion4Truth »

Alien Contact?
Fascinating search into the Alien agenda and messages sent to earth from other worlds..Ancient alien artefacts ,Giant Ufo’s Crop circles and a secret message to our reality.. you have to see this to believe it.. Sometimes truth is stranger than fiction

Strange times are these in which we live
 when old and young are taught in falsehoods school. 
And the one man that dares to tell the truth 
is called at once a lunatic and fool 

-- Plato. 

GenuinelyInterested
Board Meister

Passion4Truth wrote:Fascinating search into the Alien agenda and messages sent to earth from other worlds..Ancient alien artefacts ,Giant Ufo’s Crop circles and a secret message to our reality.. you have to see this to believe it.. Sometimes truth is stranger than fiction

Sometimes, it's just..... fiction.

Return to “Conspiracies and Weird Science”