Hadfield: Hero, stooge or junkie?

Conspiracy theories and weird science discussions.

Hadfield, 'Canadian' hero, political stooge, or space junkie?

'Canadian' hero
79%
political stooge
5%
space junkie
No votes
all of the above
No votes
hero and stooge
No votes
stooge and junkie
5%
hero and junkie
No votes
none of the above
11%

Total votes: 19

A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

Hadfield: Hero, stooge or junkie?

Post by A_Britishcolumbian »

'canada's' role in space exploration has been a rollercoaster of events and emotions. Chris Hadfield has amassed 166 days in earth orbit and almost 15 hours of 'spacewalk' experience.

reading this latest politically slanted and disinformation laden article where he is toeing the so called 'federal government of canada's' line of 'china' being a nation and urging 'us' to cooperate with them is an affront to myself and likely anyone that can recall or participated in the korean war.

if we were to apply Colonel Hadfield's 'logic' locally, we might see city council and the rcmp cooperating with 'independent soldiers' to rein in the drug problem in kelowna.

notice how hadfield and rakobowchuk repeatedly say "China" in the same way they reference the USA, Russia, and other actual nations. Oddly the term 'PRC' never gets used, even though western media has popularized the use of the same in the past, because like the song goes, "girls love initials." soulja boy tell'em from the song marco polo for those of you wondering.

Ex-astronaut Hadfield says co-operation with China in space a logical step

By Peter Rakobowchuk, The Canadian Press December 28, 2013

MONTREAL - Retired Canadian astronaut Chris Hadfield is calling for more co-operation with China in space and he wants it to be part of any international effort to return to the moon.

And he's not alone in his thinking. Space experts agree the Chinese can no longer be left out.

"I think right now a lot of people see it as kind of crazy to co-operate with the Chinese, but I think it's the next logical step," Hadfield recently told The Canadian Press.

China sent its first astronaut into space in 2003 and Hadfield noted the country's ambitious space program aims to eventually put an astronaut on the moon.

On Dec. 15, a Chinese Chang'e 3 rocket landed a rover on the lunar surface, making China the third country to do so after the United States and the former Soviet Union.

It was the world’s first soft landing of a space probe on the moon in nearly four decades.

He also pointed out that China launched an experimental space station in 2011. It will be replaced with a more permanent one which will be completed in 2020.

A Chinese astronaut said in September his country is willing to open its space station to foreign astronauts and even train them for such missions.

China was barred from participating in the current orbiting space station, largely because of U.S. objections over political differences.

Hadfield added that after the Russians launched the Mir Space Station in February 1986, other nations dropped in for a visit during its 15 years in orbit.

NASA says on its website that Mir hosted 125 cosmonauts and astronauts from 12 different nations before it was deorbited and sunk into the ocean in 2001.

Hadfield, who became a Canadian astronaut in 1992, visited Mir in November 1995 on the U.S. Space Shuttle Atlantis. He was the only Canadian to ever board the Russian space station.

"If you predicted in 1989 that I would fly on an American shuttle to go build a Russian spaceship, people would have said you were crazy," said Hadfield, who last March became the first Canadian to command the International Space Station.

"So I think looking forward, there's a great opportunity to include the Chinese in the world space program — the international space program."

Hadfield said a logical progression would be to include as many countries as possible in an international mission beyond Earth — "hopefully including China and India and the other countries that have launch capability and then progress to the next stepping stone, the next natural waypoint out to space, which is the moon."

Iain Christie, executive vice-president of the Aerospace Industries Association of Canada, says China's presence in space cannot be ignored. The association represents the interests of more than 700 aerospace companies across Canada.

"I think China is back where we were in North America 50 years ago," he said in an interview from Ottawa. "They're excited about space, they're not spending their time justifying why they're in space, they're spending their time justifying why they're not doing more.

"I am hopeful that their enthusiasm for space becomes infectious to the rest of us."

Christie said decisions will have to be made in the coming years.

"We're going to have to decide what to do about engaging with China in space — whether it's to be more collaborative or more competitive," he said. "I don't know which one we'll choose."

Ron Holdway, an independent space consultant, says there will eventually be closer relationships with the Chinese.

"I think that's the way we're inevitably headed because space is so expensive and the Chinese are proving to be quite good at it and willing to share the cost," he said in an interview.

Holdway, a former vice-president with COM DEV, a Canadian space technology company, added there's already a certain amount of co-operation between the United States and China in areas like weather satellites and data sharing.

"There's also limited co-operation on science programs and that sort of thing," he said. "It's natural that it starts in areas that have nothing to do with defence and security.

"But I think the reality is that, just like we did with the Russians, we will get past political obstacles and move on to greater co-operation because that's what common sense says you should do."

Holdway said areas of co-operation with China may include trips to the moon or Mars or other sorts of manned and unmanned interplanetary exploration.

Walt Natynczyk, the new president of the Canadian Space Agency, was in China in September to attend the annual International Astronautical Congress in Beijing. It was described as an opportunity to visit some major space actors in the country.

Meantime, as Natynczyk continues work on a long-term space plan, Hadfield said Canada must look at where the world's space program is headed.

"Canada needs to choose what makes sense to us," he said. "There's so much technology that we need in power generation, in navigation, in communications, in environmental recycling — there's all sorts of technical issues that we need to solve that will also have use for us here back in Canada."

Hadfield attracted worldwide attention with his dramatic photos of the Earth, his tweets and his "Space Oddity" video during his space station visit which began when he blasted off in December 2012. He returned to Earth in mid-May 2013. The David Bowie cover has had close to 20 million views on YouTube.

Hadfield also said the question he gets asked the most by interviewers during his current book promotional tour is: How do astronauts go to the bathroom in space?

"There's a YouTube clip that's been seen a million times — even on orbit I carefully took the camera and showed people how the urinal works, where the solid waste goes. it's fundamental human curiosity.

It's the number one and number two question," he joked.

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/business/Ex ... z2opiBhuoI
I'm not worried what I say, if they see it now or they see it later, I said it. If you don't know maybe that would hurt you, I don't know. You should know though, so you don't get hurt, so you know what side to be on when it happens.
T.Tsarnaev
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Re: Hadfield, hero, stooge or junkie?

Post by JLives »

Many astronauts have returned to Earth and told us they came back humbled. There is no better perspective to really understanding we are one than they have experienced.

I hope when we do move onto other planets we leave the archaic idea of countries and borders behind. Space is as international as it gets and China should be a part of that, as should all countries who want to participate.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

i think you are missing my point jennylives, 'china' is not a nation, the prc are a criminal gang holding a nation hostage.

if we cooperate with them we are supporting their crime. the usa often says 'we will not negotiate with terrorists' when talking about individuals or small groups, including their own citizens, but when it comes to the prc they show their true colours.

the prc is bent on turning everyone on earth, and in space, 'chinese', or more accurately, bringing everyone under their thumb.

i would suggest if hadfield wants to be chinese, or 'just' cooperate with them, he goes there and does so / You need to tone it down. Trip
I'm not worried what I say, if they see it now or they see it later, I said it. If you don't know maybe that would hurt you, I don't know. You should know though, so you don't get hurt, so you know what side to be on when it happens.
T.Tsarnaev
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

A_Britishcolumbian wrote:i think you are missing my point jennylives, 'china' is not a nation, the prc are a criminal gang holding a nation hostage.

if we cooperate with them we are supporting their crime. the usa often says 'we will not negotiate with terrorists' when talking about individuals or small groups, including their own citizens, but when it comes to the prc they show their true colours.

the prc is bent on turning everyone on earth, and in space, 'chinese', or more accurately, bringing everyone under their thumb.

i would suggest if hadfield wants to be chinese, or 'just' cooperate with them, he goes there and does so,

Talking about thugs ...

China was barred from participating in the current orbiting space station, largely because of U.S. objections over political differences.

Altough political agendas really got the space race going, seeing that the biggest player is more or less out of the game now and how times have changed, politics really need to take a step back when it comes to science and exploration to further understand our Universe and ourselves.
Last edited by Dizzy1 on Dec 29th, 2013, 10:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Hadfield is one of Canada's bona fide heros. Most countries are looking at space endeavours as a waste of money. I would hate to see the world give up on it. It would be grand if we could manage a truly non-national cooperative venture; leaving the politics completely behind.
I haven't failed until I quit.
LordEd
Guru

Post by LordEd »

A_Britishcolumbian wrote:i think you are missing my point jennylives, 'china' is not a nation, the prc are a criminal gang holding a nation hostage.
Of course we missed the point. The article you posted has nothing to do with the statement above. There definitely is nothing in the article to explain "junkie" as one of your options.

Did you read it?
Health forum: Health, well-being, medicine, aging, digital currency enslavement, depopulation conspiracy.

If you want to discuss anything real, you're in the wrong place.
NotNorthAnymore
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by NotNorthAnymore »

Lady tehMa wrote:Hadfield is one of Canada's bona fide heros. Most countries are looking at space endeavours as a waste of money. I would hate to see the world give up on it. It would be grand if we could manage a truly non-national cooperative venture; leaving the politics completely behind.

A_Britishcolumbian - If you wanted a discussion about China and the space exploration that is one thing.

To slander Commander Hadfield as you have is not acceptable to myself.
I think from the comments coming at you others in this forum you may want to rethink your comments and poll.

Commander Hadfield is respected worldwide and has renewed the interest of the younger generation in space exploration.

IMO - you are so offbase with your comments on this I think you should be banned from the forums.

(Edits for spelling misteaks!)
"THEY" are watching you! -- "THEY" know who you are! -- "THEY" know where you are!
Always use heavy duty BBQ tinfoil under your Black Hat - That way "THEY" can't read your 'mind'.
A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

notnorthanymore, if you would like to have me banned then do so :) viewtopic.php?f=15&t=15830&start=4305

colonel hadfield's experience was duly noted on my part, no disrespect at all. his 'want' to return is what i see to be his junkie quality, and to be willing to collaborate with the likes of the prc to do so is a slap in the face to those of us that actually consider things like human rights and freedoms as foundations of a society and humanity at large.

hadfield competed for the honour of doing the things he did, had he not been the one, there were and are many, many others who would have. hero is perversion of the term in his case.

'canada' could easily have an independent space program without any help from the so called 'superpowers'. imagine if we took on south korea as a partner, who could exceed us then i wonder.

treblehook, please illuminate me to as where my 'knowledge' is lacking.
T.Tsarnaev
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

A_Britishcolumbian wrote:Colonel hadfield's experience was duly noted on my part, no disrespect at all.

Riiiight. Which is why you followed up with this:
A_Britishcolumbian wrote: hero is perversion of the term in his case.

I actually quite like it when you weigh in on topics though. If there is any uncertainty at all, all I need do is look at your stance and realize that the rational one will be in direct opposition.
I haven't failed until I quit.
A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

in order to generate flow, polarization is necessary ;)

going up in the now defunct, and always deficient, shuttles certainly required nerve that i would consider 'heroic'.
T.Tsarnaev
rookie314
Übergod

Re: Hadfield: Hero, stooge or junkie?

Post by rookie314 »

Two words " Tinneman Square." How soon we forget.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

rookie314 wrote:Two words " Tinneman Square." How soon we forget.

Guess we shouldn't let the Germans play either then, nor the Italians, Russians, Americans, etc.

Like I said, politics need to stay out of science and exploration.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Or Canadians for that matter. We have done terrible things too.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Nasa will never Join with china , germany Is the Strongest eu country , make ur own Conclusions, Russia Wont Threaten The States , not sure what canada has done besides try and Kill off the first nations peoples
Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Treblehook »

i would suggest if hadfield wants to be chinese, or 'just' cooperate with them, he goes there and does so / You need to tone it down. Trip

Everything about this statement above is wrong! I think you know nothing about China or it's current government. I also think it is very wrong of you to malign Chris Hadfield in the way you have. He has achieved a great deal in his life... I wonder how your achievements measure up against his. I posted a similar comment to this earlier, but for some reason it does not appear in this thread. I do not want this one removed.

Return to “Conspiracies and Weird Science”