See what yes is doing

Conspiracy theories and weird science discussions.
BelieveNothing
Übergod

See what yes is doing

Post by BelieveNothing »

rookie314
Übergod

Re: See what yes is doing

Post by rookie314 »

Did you know that China and the US are responsible for 40% of all carbon emissions released into the atmosphere? Canada is 2. Looks like more Neil Young propaganda. If your so concerned, why are you not going after the Chinese? Forgot the tar sands are an easier target. I'll make you a deal, get rid of all petroleum based products in your life and I will buy in. Hope you like sitting naked in the dirt.
BelieveNothing
Übergod

Post by BelieveNothing »

Funnily enough I do enjoy sitting naked in the dirt : )

I care about the environment...not just local environment but the entire planet.

It takes a very special kind of person to come up with a negative comment to such a brilliant ad.

Have a nice day :)
daria
Guru

Post by daria »

rookie314 wrote:Did you know that China and the US are responsible for 40% of all carbon emissions released into the atmosphere? Canada is 2. Looks like more Neil Young propaganda. If your so concerned, why are you not going after the Chinese? Forgot the tar sands are an easier target. I'll make you a deal, get rid of all petroleum based products in your life and I will buy in. Hope you like sitting naked in the dirt.

Our Chinese [Tar] Sands

Other critics worry about whether Chinese companies will respect Canadian regulations on the environment and labour standards, where Beijing’s track record remains notoriously poor. “Does it matter who owns the oil sands? You bet it does!” said Gil McGowan, president of the Alberta Federation of Labour, in a statement about Nexen. He argues that foreign governments would “develop the oil sands in their own best interests,” keeping the best jobs for themselves, and ignoring Canada’s energy needs and environmental priorities. McGowan has previously expressed concern about overreliance on temporary foreign workers in the oil sands, driving down wages for Albertans. The NDP, too, criticized the Nexen deal for lacking “hard commitments on the environment.”

There you go.
Don't take my silence to mean I've agreed with you; I easily could've just lost interest in explaining how wrong you are.
History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes.
"I figured out how to monetize SJWs." Jordan B. Peterson
daria
Guru

Post by daria »

*bump*

For that matter, Smoke on the Water posted a great documentary on the Great Bear Rainforest and the impact that Northern Gateway will have on BC's northwest coastal region:

I had already seen this and shared it with friends and family before. Please spread the word if you don't want to see this beautiful ecosystem decimated by the ill-advised Northern Gateway pipeilne.
Don't take my silence to mean I've agreed with you; I easily could've just lost interest in explaining how wrong you are.
daria
Guru

Post by daria »

BelieveNothing, do you mind if this becomes a thread for sharing documentaries on the tar sands' impact? Cheers!

This is also well worth sharing!
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

To daria ...

Do you have a SENSIBLE solution to the world's reliance on oil, including the tar sands? Or just a complaint?
BelieveNothing
Übergod

Post by BelieveNothing »

I dont mind daria :)
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

Donald G - we can start by transitioning to natural gas. That doesn't get us there, but is a better solution.

By the way, what you are looking isn't oil, it's bitumen mining - one step up from coal at best.

During the time period that natural gas buys us, we can put the effort needed into alternatives that have the potential to provide the vast amounts of energy required. IF we can get EGS (enhanced geothermal systems) to work on large scales, then there is a virtually limitless amount of energy available. Much of southern BC and Alberta are sitting on prime sites for EGS, with 300 degree plus rock in feasible drilling depth zones.

And no, we not there yet with EGS systems. But 20 years ago there weren't many folks that figured shale gas or shale oil would ever be feasible either. But they put the effort in, and now we are awash in shale gas. So if the serious effort gets put in, the technical challenges of EGS can be solved.

Meanwhile, electric vehicles get better and better. I know, the "hat on backwards" crowd won't like them because there's no muffler to remove...

Meanwhile more and more commercial transport trucks and buses switch over to natural gas power. And companies like Fiat and Volkswagen are already making natural gas powered cars. And Warren Buffet is looking at natural gas locomotives for his big train sets...

It all won't happen overnight. But it is slowly going that way.

As for Alberta - as Canada's largest producer of natural gas, they are positioned to get on that bandwagon (especially if CC gets LNG going - they can piggyback on that). Already they are looking at a $4 billion proposal for LNG production...and if all that works out, there won't be a gas producer around to sell the tar sands guys all the cheap natural gas they need to make dilbit etc.

Fittingly, one of the world leaders in natural gas vehicle technologies has its global headquarters right here in BC, and they are selling natural gas powered F150s, 250s, 350s in California. So we can continue our love of pick up trucks for a while longer. http://www.westport.com/

There is a lot going on...and we won't know exactly which solutions, or combination of solutions, are going to work unless we try them, and work toward them, and stop being backward looking as if the tar sands are a solution to anything except hanging onto a fading and failing status quo.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
vinnied
Lord of the Board

Post by vinnied »

I'll pipe in. no pun intended

what a mess
[(4-Hydroxybutyl)azanediyl]di(hexane-6,1-diyl) bis(2-hexyldecanoate), ALC-0315 equivalent, is a ionizable, physiological pH cationic synthetic lipid that is used with other lipids to form lipid nanoparticles(LNP) for drug delivery, For research use only.

Return to “Conspiracies and Weird Science”