Welcome to Canada's martial law

Conspiracy theories and weird science discussions.
BelieveNothing
Übergod

Welcome to Canada's martial law

Post by BelieveNothing »

I trust we have all been following the situation in Slocan, BC.

http://www.castanet.net/news/BC/124538/ ... -continues

What strikes me is how the entire community is ok with the lock down on their lives for one RCMP member being shot at.

I also find it ridiculous that we are all being trained to not ask questions or speak of the situation, all in the name of being a good community member.

This is it... this is the Boston marathon all over again, this time in British Columbia.

Are we really such chickens? Do we really need to stop our lives because a member of the RCMP was shot at? Do they lock down the community when one of you has been shot at? No they don't.

Why are the RCMP so important, so special that we will stop all our lives to find ONE person that threatened theirs?
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Welcome to Canada's Martial law

Post by Piecemaker »

The person doing the shooting may also be a risk to others in the community. If a shoot-out occurs, would you be OK with a parent and a couple of kids on their way home from school being shot?! BTW, a member of the RCMP is just as significant and valuable to their family as your loved ones are to you! RCMP members should be able to be as safe at work as possible. If Martial Law helps that, than so be it.
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.
BelieveNothing
Übergod

Post by BelieveNothing »

I think living is a risk, I think stepping out of bed or your door way is a risk.

My point is there is never a community lock down for community members who have been threatened, the RCMP appear "Special" in that there is community lock down when one of their members has been threatened.

Of course I would not be ok if any human being was shot, children or not.

If giving up your life for a false sense of security is ok with you, then have at it.

I know that I will not go along so easily.

It is people with intelligence like yours that I fear the most.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

BelieveNothing wrote: What strikes me is how the entire community is ok with the lock down on their lives for one RCMP member being shot at.

What strikes me is how utterly naïve some of you kids are. You want to go skipping around the town of Slocan while a nut with a high-powered rifle willing to take shots at RCMP members is still at large? Is that being “not a chicken”, or just being brain-dead stupid? Darwin's law at work (you're so brave "life is a risk"). Notice how those members will continue to put themselves in harms way until the risk has been neutralized. Do you really think they would have hesitated to enforce the same lock down if person was taking random shots at civilians. Highly unlikely their response would have been anything less than what it is now. Hopefully looney-tunes is brought down or taken out before there is any loss of innocent live – civilian or police.
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

Ah, another person posting whose intelligence is to be feared! Well said, Steven.
Communities are seldom "locked down" when an RCMP member is fired upon. usually it is just a small area where they believe the suspect to be hiding. In this case they must feel like they can capture the suspect by locking down the community, which itself happens to be very small. They don't want anyone in the community to be harmed by the gunman, including themselves.
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.
BelieveNothing
Übergod

Post by BelieveNothing »

I suspect the target has an issue with the RCMP member that he/she shot at.

I am not prone to wild fantasies that a lone gunman that has shot at an RCMP officer is about to go off and murder an entire community, I leave that for the movies or the mainstream news stage.

When we process fear in a healthy non resistant manner, we are empowered with creativity.

Does it really make sense that a few hundred human beings stop living because 1 human being appears to be a threat to 1 other human being?
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

I don’t know what fantasies you are prone to, but clearly the residents of Slocan are well-served in that you are not making any decisions regarding their safety. Anyone assessing risk and processing fear in the way you suggest only proves natural selection is still at work. It’s too bad you don’t live in the valley. You could show us all just how safe it is to be out and about.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

While I do not live in Slocan itself, I live very close to the community which is a very small community. The suspect is well known in the community and is well known to the police. Considering the knowledge that the community has of the individual and the police having prior knowledge of the suspect, I would be quite happy to keep my kids and loved ones at home, respect the lockdown and hope the situation can be resolved with no bloodshed.

Seeing as that apparently an RCMP member and some residents had to be evacuated from a prime suspect area by an armored vehicle gives me a clue as to the seriousness of the situation.
Chill
Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Treblehook »

BelieveNothing wrote:I trust we have all been following the situation in Slocan, BC.

http://www.castanet.net/news/BC/124538/ ... -continues

What strikes me is how the entire community is ok with the lock down on their lives for one RCMP member being shot at.

I also find it ridiculous that we are all being trained to not ask questions or speak of the situation, all in the name of being a good community member.

This is it... this is the Boston marathon all over again, this time in British Columbia.

Are we really such chickens? Do we really need to stop our lives because a member of the RCMP was shot at? Do they lock down the community when one of you has been shot at? No they don't.

Why are the RCMP so important, so special that we will stop all our lives to find ONE person that threatened theirs?

This is the most unbelievable post yet. You obviously have no understanding of the obligation[s] of the police to protect citizens... to ensure the safety and security of the communities they serve. Is it not reasonable to conclude that someone who is capable of shooting at a police officer, and who turns out to be "well known to the police" is a threat to the safety of anyone in the community? I think you would be the first one to start blathering off criticisms of the police if they were not to cordone off the area and do evacuations if someone was to be taken hostage and harmed. In fact I am quite sure you would be spewing your vindictive rhetoric [as usual] in that circumstance. The community wants to be safe; people want their children to be safe from senseless violence; citizens don't want violent people running about in their communities and discharging firearms, whether it be at the police or otherwise. You should find something else to complain about because this one just makes you look intellectually deprived.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

BelieveNothing wrote:I suspect the target has an issue with the RCMP member that he/she shot at.

Turns out the police were called to investigate the assault of a neighbor, and that when they attended they were fired upon. One member was pinned down and had to be evacuated under armored cover. No way this person could have guessed at which members would be responding to the call, and he had already assaulted and hurt his neighbor. Turns out the man is well known to the community, has mental health issues and is believed to suffer from paranoid delusions. Turns out he is ex-military and served at least one tour in Afghanistan. Turns out this fellow is very dangerous and a risk to everyone.
BelieveNothing
Übergod

Post by BelieveNothing »

*removed*
Last edited by oneh2obabe on Oct 10th, 2014, 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off-topic comment removed.
Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Treblehook »

[steven lloyd] I don't know where you got the information you just posted and I have no reason to doubt or dispute it's veracity. It is too bad that Believe Nothing was not in possession of these facts before he posted his ill-informed remarks under this caption. Compared to Believe Nothing, even the most junior of those ERT personnel responding to this incident has more knowledge and skill and capacity to assess the situation; to develop an operational approach to protect the community, and to take the suspect into custody while reducing as much as possible the chance of the public, the police or the suspect suffering harm. It is indeed unfortunate that this man is reportedly suffering from some sort of mental health issues, that may [or may not] have been the result of his service in Afghanistan. Unfortunately, mental health issues are neither diagnosed nor treated by the police; rather, that his the responsibility of the medical community. Much has been said in recent years about the effectiveness and competence of our health system in terms of dealing with persons afflicted with mental illness, but that is another topic altogether. Nonetheless, it ends up being the police who must confront and take into custody, mentally ill people who commit crimes. As in this case, those crimes frequently involve serious acts of violence and the mentally ill offenders are sometimes in possession of firearms or other dangerous weapons of some sort. The police most often realize they are dealing with someone who has these medical issues, however that knowledge doesn't alter the degree of danger that the suspect presents to the police and the community. They will do all they can to take the man into custody without hurting him, but the bottom line is their ability to do that will be greatly influenced by the actions of the suspect himself. The arrest of Justin Bourque in New Brunswick this year ought to be evidence enough that the RCMP will take these individuals into custody without harming them. As per the news release on this incident, the police have brought all of the resources available, including a negotiator who [when they locate the suspect] will hopefully be able to convince him to surrender without further violence. It is difficult to understand why Believe Nothing chose the Boston Marathon incident as a parallel to the ongoing manhunt in Slocan. In his mind, I guess he felt the Boston case served his purposes best. The murder of the three RCMP officers, and wounding of two others in New Brunswick, bears a much closer resemblance to the Slocan manhunt.. no question about that!!! Ain't it a wonder how it seems that some people in the community of Slocan were of the opinion that Degroot was suffering from mental health problems, yet he still was able to possess firearms?
Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Treblehook »

I wonder what will be the opinion of Believe Nothing on this story:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/igl ... -1.2788027
BelieveNothing
Übergod

Post by BelieveNothing »

All good points Treblehook

Though, everything within "reason" is what is appropriate. Putting a community on lock down - stand down - shut up, is not reasonable and it is a good indication of things to come with regard to our rights and freedoms being surrendered in the name of security.

This situation in the small community of Slocan is a microcosm of a greater reality that we saw occur in Boston after the bombings. I am and was aware while starting this thread of Justin Bourque in Nova Scotia but I saw a greater relation to Boston, this giving up of sovereignty and rights to secure the safety of the public.

This lock down is not reasonable. Not by a long shot.

This event is the PTB assessing the state and malleability of group of citizens of the Slocan Valley.

Once upon a time the RCMP and police were very capable of doing their job without having to shut down the entire operations of living to get the bad guy! Come on!
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

You obviously have a perspective from well outside of the community.
Chill

Return to “Conspiracies and Weird Science”