Anti vaxxers conspire to kill our children.

Conspiracy theories and weird science discussions.
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Anti vaxxers conspire to kill our children.

Post by I Think »

It is clear that a conspiracy exists whose members are conspiring to kill and or damage our kids. If a pregnant woman contracts measles, the foetus is at risk for brain damage and or blindness. We must put an end to the conspiracy.

It angers me when people make bad decisions that threaten the health and safety of other people. Whether you're driving drunk, parading loaded firearms in public, or choosing to not vaccinate your child (exceptions for children with health conditions that contraindicate vaccinations), you are a danger to your own health and to the health of others -- and I am fed up with the ignorance and arrogance behind these decisions.

Anti-vaxxers, on the other hand, are no longer deserving of my patience and compassion. People who purposely choose not to vaccinate themselves or their children against diseases like measles, whooping cough, rubella, and so on are endangering the lives of others. In the current measles outbreak that started in Disneyland, six babies have contracted measles. All of these babies are younger than 1 year old, which is the age at which the first MMR (measles-mumps-rubella) vaccine is done. These infants were counting on us, their herd, to provide them with community immunity until they were old enough to get vaccinated. It is not science's fault that these children, our fellow Americans, caught the measles. it is not their parents' fault. It is the fault of the anti-vaxxers, the vaccine cynics.

Let's all stop calling anti-vaxxers "vaccine skeptics" because it is unfair to genuine skepticism. As a pediatrician, I have seen the difference between skeptical parents and cynical parents. Skeptics are driven by curiosity, and they make it clear that health care providers have to earn their trust -- but it can be earned. As a health care provider, I do not assume anyone's trust and appreciate the opportunity to earn and maintain the trust of my patients and their families. Whether we are talking about vaccinations, medications, imaging studies, or surgical procedures, the skeptical parents of my patients want to have their concerns acknowledged and their questions answered. I am happy to oblige. My conversations with them are informative and even enjoyable because these are transparent exchanges about what priorities shape our perspectives, where we get our information, and how to contend with risk. Genuine skepticism can transform the doctor-patient relationship from patriarchy to partnership, and we need this now more than ever in modern medicine.

Anti-vaxxers are mostly cynics, and they are a whole other phenomenon. I am fortunate to have only experienced cynical parents outside of my direct clinical work. Cynics are not driven by curiosity but by an ugly mix of ignorance and arrogance. After dumpster diving on the Internet for pseudo-science, anti-vaxxers have decided that their contempt for public health guidelines and their distrust of modern medicine somehow makes them more "informed."

As a pediatrician and public health policy wonk, the cynical anti-vaxxers frustrate me on several levels. First, there is no amount of expensive scientific research that will assure anti-vaxxers about the safety, efficacy and necessity of vaccines. Where genuine skeptics ask questions in order to learn, cynics ask questions in order to scorn. Presenting legitimate peer-reviewed scientific data to anti-vaxxers does not persuade them because they already reached a verdict based on their fears and contempt. The scientific community has diverted so much funding and resources towards disproving any causal relationship between vaccines and autism, but to what end? Those who get vaccinated don't really need the additional proof, and anti-vaxxers don't really care about the real work of the scientific method. As a result, millions of dollars that could have been used to research the real causes of autism or to study the real toxins in our environment are wasted proving what has already been proven repeatedly: Vaccines are safe, effective, and necessary for public health.

By Sanjeev K. Sriram
We're lost but we're making good time.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Re: Anti vaxxers conspire to kill our children.

Post by ferri »

being discussed here: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=60561
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein

Return to “Conspiracies and Weird Science”