Smart meter

Conspiracy theories and weird science discussions.
TJ05
Fledgling

Smart meter

Post by TJ05 »

I have been hearing from people that heat their house with electricity that they are getting crazy high bills since they have had the smart meter installed. I am wondering is this happening just here and there or are more people experiencing the same thing?
Frisk
Guru

Re: Smart meter

Post by Frisk »

*removed*
Last edited by oneh2obabe on Feb 21st, 2015, 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off-topic.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

Considering that a couple of 2 kilowatt baseboard heaters have the potential to add over 600 dollars to a 60 day bill, I don't think a smart meter is to blame.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Catri »

I have electric baseboard heat and the analog meter was changed out for a smart meter in November. My December/January bill was only $8 higher than the same period a year ago. What did make a big jump on my bill was when Fortis started using the two tier billing which made last year's midwinter bill $200 higher than the previous year's. Two tier billing is brutal when you heat with electricity.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

Heh heh, if you think two tier billing is costly, wait till they introduce time of day billing. TOD billing will ding you the most during the times that most people use the most.
Imo TOD billing is the whole premise of why smart meters are being introduced.
You think electricity is costly?
Ha! Just wait.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Gotta love how they came up with that scheme... Charge more for power during the time of day that it's needed the most...
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
Joe Public
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Joe Public »

TOD billing is the reason for BC Hydro and FORTIS to spend over $1b to install smart meters.

They won't admit it, nor deny it, but they have to get all the meters installed first before they "inform" us.

Other jurisdictions have observed 35% increases if you continue to use your electricity in the same manner as before TOD billing. But hey, you can get up at midnight to do your laundry and save a few bucks.
Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Catri »

Bman wrote:Heh heh, if you think two tier billing is costly, wait till they introduce time of day billing. TOD billing will ding you the most during the times that most people use the most.
Imo TOD billing is the whole premise of why smart meters are being introduced.
You think electricity is costly?
Ha! Just wait.

I agree completely, I don't for one minute think saving on meter readers was motivation for the change to smart meters. I do wonder if they brought the 2 tier billing in so far in advance so that when TOD comes in the jumps in the bills won't be as big and so won't provoke as much of an outcry.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Other jurisdictions have observed 35% increases if you continue to use your electricity in the same manner as before TOD billing. But hey, you can get up at midnight to do your laundry and save a few bucks.

we can do that .. in fact , I start a load at 5:30 am and the Boss puts it in the dryer at 7 when she gets the kids ready for school .

The problem is dinner time.. Can't cook dinner at 5 am just to save a ton of money.

Sadly Fortis, BCHydro and Crusty Clark seem to think it's fair to gouge families simply for having hot food for dinner... or a bath before bed time. and just watch , those families that can't afford this BS will get "visits" from the scumbags that are MCFD because they choose food in general because that's ALL they can afford because of all of it..
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Catri »

MAPearce wrote:The problem is dinner time.. Can't cook dinner at 5 am just to save a ton of money

Electric heat is even worse, it's pretty hard to stop heating your house in those peak hours in winter.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

^^ thankfully , we have gas heat... But I can feel the pain of those who don't.

Gouging people to keep their homes warm is criminal in my mind...
sanfish
Lord of the Board

Post by sanfish »

Thankfully we don't have to accept the smart meters
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

ya but it will cost ya
sanfish
Lord of the Board

Post by sanfish »

LTD wrote:ya but it will cost ya

Nope. Not talking about "radio off". I mean keeping the analogue one
vinnied
Lord of the Board

Post by vinnied »

sanfish wrote:Nope. Not talking about "radio off". I mean keeping the analogue one

This was discussed in another thread. Fortis was pretty clear they'll cut your power off
[(4-Hydroxybutyl)azanediyl]di(hexane-6,1-diyl) bis(2-hexyldecanoate), ALC-0315 equivalent, is a ionizable, physiological pH cationic synthetic lipid that is used with other lipids to form lipid nanoparticles(LNP) for drug delivery, For research use only.

Return to “Conspiracies and Weird Science”