Dubai Hotel vs WTC 7

Conspiracy theories and weird science discussions.
Jlabute
Guru

Re: Dubai Hotel vs WTC 7

Post by Jlabute »

Well, it was damaged by heavy debris, and the sprinklers were not fully functional. Did anyone hear explosives?
The Dubai hotel had working sprinklers which stopped the fire from spreading internally.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Are we placing bets yet on how fast this thread gets moved to the "Other" section? I'm guessing faster than you can say "9/11 was in inside job because the US government is more evil than Islamic terrorists."
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

Jlabute wrote:Well, it was damaged by heavy debris, and the sprinklers were not fully functional. Did anyone hear explosives?
The Dubai hotel had working sprinklers which stopped the fire from spreading internally.

It doesn't matter - Fire CANNOT melt steal
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Glacier wrote:Are we placing bets yet on how fast this thread gets moved to the "Other" section? I'm guessing faster than you can say "9/11 was in inside job because the US government is more evil than Islamic terrorists."

why should it be moved ? you afraid of the facts ?
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Jlabute wrote:Well, it was damaged by heavy debris, and the sprinklers were not fully functional. Did anyone hear explosives?
that wasnt the govts explanation for wt7 coming down lol . they said it was fire that melted a certain colum . the fantasy is strong in this one
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Static wrote:It doesn't matter - Fire CANNOT melt steal

Context is key:
...FACT: Jet fuel burns at 800° to 1500°F, not hot enough to melt steel (2750°F). However, experts agree that for the towers to collapse, their steel frames didn't need to melt, they just had to lose some of their structural strength—and that required exposure to much less heat. "I have never seen melted steel in a building fire," says retired New York deputy fire chief Vincent Dunn, author of The Collapse Of Burning Buildings: A Guide To Fireground Safety. "But I've seen a lot of twisted, warped, bent and sagging steel. What happens is that the steel tries to expand at both ends, but when it can no longer expand, it sags and the surrounding concrete cracks."

"Steel loses about 50 percent of its strength at 1100°F," notes senior engineer Farid Alfawak-hiri of the American Institute of Steel Construction. "And at 1800° it is probably at less than 10 percent." NIST also believes that a great deal of the spray-on fireproofing insulation was likely knocked off the steel beams that were in the path of the crashing jets, leaving the metal more vulnerable to the heat. ...

http://www.popularmechanics.com/military/a6384/debunking-911-myths-world-trade-center/

Fun video here:
http://www.mediaite.com/online/angry-metal-worker-makes-video-debunking-jet-fuel-cant-melt-steel-beams-911-meme/
Pithy quote from video:
Tye openly doesn’t care about whether or not 9/11 conspiracy theories are true. “What I am concerned about is the *bleep* metallurgical things you are saying,” he says bluntly. “If you hold this up for a reason for a conspiracy, you are an idiot.”
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

Static wrote:

It doesn't matter - Fire CANNOT melt steal

It does not need to melt it, it just needs to be heated to weaken it so it collapses under the load it holds.
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

"But I've seen a lot of twisted, warped, bent and sagging steel. What happens is that the steel tries to expand at both ends, but when it can no longer expand, it sags and the surrounding concrete cracks."

I am not an engineer by no means, but should twisting, warping, and bending occur and the plane did not fly smack dab into the middle of building, would this not cause the building to lean and prevent the building from falling perfectly into its footprint?
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Static wrote:"But I've seen a lot of twisted, warped, bent and sagging steel. What happens is that the steel tries to expand at both ends, but when it can no longer expand, it sags and the surrounding concrete cracks."

I am not an engineer by no means, but should twisting, warping, and bending occur and the plane did not fly smack dab into the middle of building, would this not cause the building to lean and prevent the building from falling perfectly into its footprint?

Neither am I, and like many others at the time it happened I was relieved but very surprised the building pancaked instead of toppling. Here's the engineering on that, from the same Popular Mechanics piece. (Probably best to read the whole thing as there's quite a bit more than I'm quoting.) There's a paragraph or two about the elevator shafts allowing the jet fuel to funnel centrally, and this:
NIST investigators believe a combination of intense fire and severe structural damage contributed to the collapse, though assigning the exact proportion requires more research. But NIST's analysis suggests the fall of WTC 7 was an example of "progressive collapse," a process in which the failure of parts of a structure ultimately creates strains that cause the entire building to come down. Videos of the fall of WTC 7 show cracks, or "kinks," in the building's facade just before the two penthouses disappeared into the structure, one after the other. The entire building fell in on itself, with the slumping east side of the structure pulling down the west side in a diagonal collapse.

According to NIST, there was one primary reason for the building's failure: In an unusual design, the columns near the visible kinks were carrying exceptionally large loads, roughly 2000 sq. ft. of floor area for each floor. "What our preliminary analysis has shown is that if you take out just one column on one of the lower floors," Sunder notes, "it could cause a vertical progression of collapse so that the entire section comes down."

So again, not something I'd use to prove a conspiracy...
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

lol but there is zero explanation there for the central core falling down . they never mention it because they cant explain it . another omission is beams flying up to 500 ft verticaly or molten steel running down the sides as the building started to implode . or diagonal cut beams showing up . or as static said a symetrical implosion when if only a certain section of beams are weakened it should have toppled asymetricly . 1500 enginears who have designed buildings such as this saying it was impossible . but your taking pop mech word over people who actualy design and build these things .

but i digresz the building in dubai burned for over 24 hours and most the sprinklers didnt work yet it stayed up hmmmmmm
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

maryjane48 wrote:why should it be moved ? you afraid of the facts ?

This ...
maryjane48 wrote:free doesnt care about truth only force fed bs from bush chaney

... has nothing to do with facts.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

maryjane48 wrote: but i digresz the building in dubai burned for over 24 hours and most the sprinklers didnt work yet it stayed up hmmmmmm

Please do "digresz" - fact is that WTC7 was damaged by debris from earlier incidents which weakened the structure - plain and simple.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
LtZerge

Post by LtZerge »

Sigh... A) This belongs in the conspiracy sub forum
B) Comparative analysis for this event that relates to other building disasters is pretty pointless. I hope people aren't so dense as to think all big buildings are built the same way with the same materials, or exposed to the same circumstances. These other incidences are operating on different variables entirely.
C) Jet fuel doesn't need to melt steel beams, just weaken it enough. I've never seen anyone claim the trade centers melted, especially the official claims
D) This belongs in the conspiracy sub forum
Passion4Truth
Übergod

Post by Passion4Truth »

LtZerge wrote:Sigh...
C) Jet fuel doesn't need to melt steel beams, just weaken it enough. I've never seen anyone claim the trade centers melted, especially the official claims

You haven't seen or heard these claims because sadly, like many others, you have done zero research on the subject.

The only reason that melting steel is discussed at all with the 9/11 scenario is because government officials, engineers, first responders, and others observed large amounts of molten steel and iron (requiring temperatures of more than 2,800°F) in the debris of all three buildings.

Strange times are these in which we live
 when old and young are taught in falsehoods school. 
And the one man that dares to tell the truth 
is called at once a lunatic and fool 

-- Plato. 

peaceseeker
Lord of the Board

Post by peaceseeker »

One of these things is not like the other...

"I think our society is run by insane people for insane objectives...I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends...but I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it."
~ John Lennon

Return to “Conspiracies and Weird Science”