New housing development

rlconzatti

New housing development

Post by rlconzatti »

We saw on the news tonight that they plan 1300 new homes by Tyndall Rd. GREAT! Our mayor says it will be a good tax revenue,so we can maintain our roads in Lake Country! GREAT!

Supposedly these houses are directed for new first time buyers! What first time home owner can afford a $650,000 home?!

I guess what he is hoping for is the people that have bought on the existing old home districts close to Davidson School on Bond that has NO sewer in place to move and buy one of these houses...that's if they can sell it!

Why doesn't the district provide sewers for our districts on BOND Rd into the older 1980 subdivisions? They promised these YEARS ago and still we have NONE! We have paid these blessed taxes for the last 30 years...still we have no sidewalks, light standards, good roadways and sewers! All the crap from these old houses are flowing into our beautiful lake systems...do they care?! Our water of late is pitiful too and I have had to brush my teeth in bottled water to avoid the obvious problems and deal with boiled water advisories!

Instead of building more homes....maintain the area that we already have please!
rlconzatti
Gunner1

Re: NEW HOUSING DEVELOPEMENT

Post by Gunner1 »

rlconzatti wrote:We saw on the news tonight that they plan 1300 new homes by Tyndall Rd. GREAT! Our mayor says it will be a good tax revenue,so we can maintain our roads in Lake Country! GREAT!

Supposedly these houses are directed for new first time buyers! What first time home owner can afford a $650,000 home?!

I guess what he is hoping for is the people that have bought on the existing old home districts close to Davidson School on Bond that has NO sewer in place to move and buy one of these houses...that's if they can sell it!

Why doesn't the district provide sewers for our districts on BOND Rd into the older 1980 subdivisions? They promised these YEARS ago and still we have NONE! We have paid these blessed taxes for the last 30 years...still we have no sidewalks, light standards, good roadways and sewers! All the crap from these old houses are flowing into our beautiful lake systems...do they care?! Our water of late is pitiful too and I have had to brush my teeth in bottled water to avoid the obvious problems and deal with boiled water advisories!

Instead of building more homes....maintain the area that we already have please!
rlconzatti

It's supposed to be built over the next 15 years or so....I do agree with you in regards to affordability. Definitely NOT for 1st time homeowners. More like summer homes for the wealthy. **Re-watched the news and they said "single family homes" not 1st time homeowners - which makes sense**

Baker is excited because he's looking forward to blowing the property taxes on more frivolous lawsuits.
Panzer130
Board Meister

Re: New housing development

Post by Panzer130 »

The other part you missed was that Baker said, "With the infrastructure the Developer has put in place, they will now be able to provide services to other areas."

In other words. The developer had to put up all the money and expense to provide a substantial sewer system to that area. Now the district can tie into that system and provide sewer to previous developments in that area.
rlconzatti

Post by rlconzatti »

Hi! Yes! I heard that part of his speach too! Only problem with that is we heard that all before! When they built that new subdivision on Davidson Rd. the developer had to foot the bill for the sidewalks and light standards and sewers there too! They also told us at that time that we would in the near future be able to "tie in" to that one as well! We have seen nothing!

Our water is like Oceala tea right now...they complain about how we will have to have our water metered because of the worry of water shortage! Now they throw up another subdivision with 1300 houses and our water still looks like s___t. So we pay for water we can't drink because it makes us sick and metering us to boot! :( Hot happy! Oh! He will probably be dead in another 15 years...so he won't have to worry about it! It is too bad that we can't get some young people that have a vested interest in the future of Lake Country to be mayor!
rlconzatti
Panzer130
Board Meister

Post by Panzer130 »

You are complaining about the city not providing you with services, which is understandable and I support you.

However, you titled your post as New Housing development and you state:

The two topics are completely unrelated. Builders build homes, they are not responsible for the services the city supplies. Developers created the new project and with developer money, they provided the services to it. The city has not provided anything to the project.

However, the money the city collects from the project can be used for infrastructure in neighboring areas. I have no idea if they will, and you have every right to suspect they won't. With out that development, the city would not be collecting any money.

I understand your frustration, but you are pointing it at the wrong people.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

Panzer130 wrote:The two topics are completely unrelated. Builders build homes, they are not responsible for the services the city supplies. Developers created the new project and with developer money, they provided the services to it. The city has not provided anything to the project.
e.

That is usually incorrect.....in many cases the city does, in fact provide certain things to the project. Whether you balance it out against the DCC's is a matter of how you want to look at it, but it is not a matter of the developer paying for everything, plus they pay a bunch extra for the DCC's. A technicality but it is not really how you have described it.
You and 71 others Like this post
Myrna

Post by Myrna »

Just looked at real estate lots for sale on granite rd. Lake front- .4 acres $ asking price 1,700.000+
Taxes 6,000+, ( without a house yet). District mentions infrastructure for LC will be improved as the houses go up. It will take 20-25 years to complete the building. A solid commitment and timeline for improvements to ok centre roads, would be a good idea,
Then we have mcoubrey plateau, that has been approved for hundreds of houses.
Any mention of affordable row housing for lower income families that need 3+ bedrooms? Will council commit in future, OCP to allow for this type of designation? I guess this valley is destined to be a Belaire community.
Tootsie
Board Meister

Post by Tootsie »

Where exactly IS this McCoubrey Plateau ? I've been googling it for the past 20 minutes & cannot for the life of me figure out where it is. All the websites refer to it as "near OK Centre, between Duck Lake /Wood Lake", etc. HUH ? I've lived here for decades & haven't heard of McCoubrey Plateau before. Guess I'm in the dark. Where is this area that is scheduled for 100's of homes ?
Myrna

Post by Myrna »

Mcoubrey plateau may not be the correct terminology. The develoPment is slated for Mcoubrey road area, off ok centre road, heading down to okanagan centre before Tyndall road. I go to council meetings from time to time, and there was some type of approval for zoning for development, a year ago.
Winbuck_Chuck

Post by Winbuck_Chuck »

My thoughts would be http://www.heritageridge.ca for a starting point
Myrna

Post by Myrna »

The lots you are describing are certainly located in the same area, somehow I recall a large development allowance near Mcoubrey road to the tune of 300 houses.... If my memory is correct?@&##.
Myrna

Post by Myrna »

Maybe it was a council meeting approving rezoning for housing development(s)
in that area, that could total a large number of 'units'. Does that sound more realistic?
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Heritage has been in place for eons, and consisted of phases as many projects often do. This Heritage Ridge is nothing more than a continuation of something begun a long time ago.

Other development is LakeStone and area, plus there are future plans for development of land on Tyndall Road that's also within view of LakeStone.

It's not as if these homes are going to be built immediately, rather seems more a matter of infrastructure work that was begun by the original owners of LakeStone being completed.

If the size of the lots at Heritage Ridge is any indicator, they're going to have to build some pretty skinny homes, either that or they'll be two feet apart. I'm not sure what pine trees the spiel refers to since every living thing on those 20 lots was removed so the contour of the land could be manipulated for maximum view potential.

I sure wouldn't be too keen on building my dream home on a lot that's suddenly twenty feet higher than the grade was just six months prior.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"

Return to “Central Okanagan”