Roundabout Driving Instructions

LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Roundabout Driving Instructions

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Sorry zzontar but do you read what you post?

When you enter a circle what TWO choices exactly does one have?

Seems to me you either enter it to the right and drive counter clockwise or you'd have to go against traffic not to mention an opposing angled median to turn left.

You DO NOT have choices entering just exiting.

Just amazes me how people like you have the ability to complicate something that for most is a no brainer.

I'm guessing you had issues figuring out the merging process on the old bridge as well. :sillygrin:

I'm going to give you something else to think about.

If everyone did as you figure it should be done and using the new circle as an example if I did in fact signal right to enter the circle driving southbound on Bottom Wood Lake Road toward IGA and you were on Berry Road entering the circle what exactly would prevent you from thinking my right indicator light entering didn't mean I was exiting onto Berry Road when if fact my destination is IGA but there isn't really enough time for you to process what my intent is before I cross your path?
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

Let me explain it one more time... you're approaching a circle as someone's entering the circle on your left. They can A: take their first exit, in which case you could go, or B: (see, that's two) keep going around the circle thereby going in front of you in which case you can't go. If they don't signal you don't know whether you can go or not as you don't know where they're going... it doesn't get too much simpler!

So... one more time.... the TWO choices are taking the first exit or continuing around the circle.

Edit to add

If everyone did it my way, then when I'm approaching a circle and someone's entering on my left with their left signal on, I know they're going to go in front of me so I wouldn't go, if they signal right I know they're going to exit so I could proceed. With your way, I'd have to wait until they made their choice to know where they're going. If you think keeping people guessing where you're going is better than signaling your intent, then you've got some driving problems.
Last edited by zzontar on Dec 9th, 2008, 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
Phoenix Within
Guru

Post by Phoenix Within »

Fancy wrote:Someone in front of me signalled with their right hand turn signal when ENTERING the roundabout - are you kidding me? Did you actually think you could turn left? Gad, it's not rocket science!!! Signal when you're LEAVING thanks so much. For those that aren't sure, stay off the roads and take a driving course.

Technically you are supposed to signal when entering a roundabout. But yea, where the hell else are you going to go? The laugh I'm getting is the problems people are having with a single lane roundabout. Try a double lane one like back in Edmonton. That's a whole different set of rules!

I love how the advocates of roundabouts say they're safer than regular intersections and reduce accidents. In Edmonton, the number one spot for accidents was 23rd Ave and Gateway North. The second through fifth most accidents in the city, were the roundabouts.
So I love the Okanagan but it's a place best enjoyed from atop a very large pile of $100 bills. - Spocky
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

Phoenix Within wrote:
Fancy wrote:Someone in front of me signalled with their right hand turn signal when ENTERING the roundabout - are you kidding me? Did you actually think you could turn left? Gad, it's not rocket science!!! Signal when you're LEAVING thanks so much. For those that aren't sure, stay off the roads and take a driving course.

Technically you are supposed to signal when entering a roundabout. But yea, where the hell else are you going to go? The laugh I'm getting is the problems people are having with a single lane roundabout. Try a double lane one like back in Edmonton. That's a whole different set of rules!

I love how the advocates of roundabouts say they're safer than regular intersections and reduce accidents. In Edmonton, the number one spot for accidents was 23rd Ave and Gateway North. The second through fifth most accidents in the city, were the roundabouts.

I just dug this up:
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/edmonton/story ... ction.html
The worst traffic intersection in Edmonton is Gateway Boulevard and 23 Avenue, according to statistics released by the city.

Last year there were 124 crashes at the intersection, compared to 2005, when there were only 73.

As well, 50 recorded injuries were recorded at the intersection last year.

"At that sort of intersection, left turns across path and follow-too-close are your most predominant causes for the accidents that happen there," said Brian Murphy of the city's transportation department.

To ease the problem, work is underway to build an overpass at 23 Avenue and Gateway. However, it's a two- to three-year project.

The No. 2 spot in the city for collisions last year was the traffic circle at 142 Street and 107 Avenue.

The third spot is 23 Avenue and 91 Street.

None of those are circles.

How many crashes happen here when someone turns left into approaching traffic? That doesn't happen with a traffic circle... they are considerably safer for that fact alone, I've never heard of anyone getting killed in a circle, yet hear about people getting killed making left turns at lights frequently.

edit to add:
My mistake, I believe the 142st. intersection is a circle. I still believe they are safe IF everyone knows what to do... problem is, in Edmonton even the simplest of driving is made dangerous... it's the drivers!
acockrell

Post by acockrell »

let me explain it quite simply:

zzontar wrote:If everyone did it my way, then when I'm approaching a circle and someone's entering on my left

They're entering and you're entering. You can both enter.

zzontar wrote:I know they're going to go in front of me so I wouldn't go

If they're entering at the same time as you, then neither of you are in the circle, therefore it's safe for both of you to enter. If they're already in the circle, and you're not sure that they're leaving, then you must yield to them.

zzontar wrote:if they signal right I know they're going to exit so I could proceed.

If they're already in the circle, and you are unsure that they are exiting, then you must yield. If they are entering and you are entering, then you can both enter.

zzontar wrote:With your way, I'd have to wait until they made their choice to know where they're going. If you think keeping people guessing where you're going is better than signaling your intent, then you've got some driving problems.

You seem to be confused how a traffic circle works. Perhaps you should just avoid them altogether.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

zzontar wrote:
If everyone did it my way, then when I'm approaching a circle and someone's entering on my left

Read it slower, I wrote I'm approaching and someone's entering, not I'm entering and someone's entering

Learn to read, then learn to drive. It's the same thing if you're waiting to turn right at an intersection and you want to know if the car approaching on your left is going to proceed in front of you or turn right... personally I like to know in advance... maybe you're one of those who doesn't signal until the last second or not at all.
keelanl

Post by keelanl »

zzontar wrote:If everyone did it my way, then when I'm approaching a circle and someone's entering on my left with their left signal on, I know they're going to go in front of me so I wouldn't go, if they signal right I know they're going to exit so I could proceed.

How exactly are you able to see someone's left signal light when you're to the right of them?

zzontar wrote:With your way, I'd have to wait until they made their choice to know where they're going.

Exactly, it's called "yielding". You do not enter the roundabout until it is safe to do so, regardless of what the other driver is telling you he is "intending" to do with his signal light. Are you familiar with defensive driving?
acockrell

Post by acockrell »

zzontar wrote:

zzontar wrote:
If everyone did it my way, then when I'm approaching a circle and someone's entering on my left

Read it slower, I wrote I'm approaching and someone's entering, not I'm entering and someone's entering

Learn to read, then learn to drive. It's the same thing if you're waiting to turn right at an intersection and you want to know if the car approaching on your left is going to proceed in front of you or turn right... personally I like to know in advance... maybe you're one of those who doesn't signal until the last second or not at all.

Then you yield. It's that simple. If they're to the left of you, or in the circle in front of you, you cannot see their left-turn signal as it is. I've not once said that you don't need to signal right when exiting, in fact I've stated that you must. Most of the others here have been stating, contrary to the law and the ICBC material, that you must signal left if you're staying in the circle or when entering - that is false.

Perhaps it's you that needs to learn to read.

As for my driving habits - aside from two people running red lights and hitting me, I've had a clean driving record. I've obviously driven around a lot more than you, since you seem to have experience with a single traffic circle - I'm sure your driving record is a little more tarnished than mine. Don't throw rocks if you live in a glass house......
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

Watch how people signal when they enter a circle... I see at least 80% that don't signal in nor out of the circle, so with no signal, your guess is as good as mine where they're going. If people signal left when entering and right when exiting except for the first exit where you just signal right, then there's no confusion as to where they're going.This is why if you signal before entering a circle on a road test, the examiner's don't mind at all. I guarantee you I have more experience than you with 2 lane circles, where it's even more important to signal prior to entering the circle. If someone is used to signaling before entering at a one lane circle, they're likely to do the same when they come across a 2 lane circle, making it less confusing for all.

Also, if I'm approaching a circle as someone's entering on my left, I can easily see if they're signaling left or right when they signal before entering.

I've met many people who've never been in an accident in their lives, but I'm sure have caused many, so a good driving record is definitely not an absolute reflection on one's driving habits, and when it comes to driving, I definitely don't live in a glass house so I'll throw all the rocks I want.
acockrell

Post by acockrell »

zzontar wrote:Watch how people signal when they enter a circle... I see at least 80% that don't signal in nor out of the circle,

Again - no signal required to enter, but there is one required to leave. Simple physics would dictate that you will be unable to see the left turn signal of the car to your left, as the signals are on the opposing side of the vehicle to you.

Not once have I said that signals are not required for exiting. They are. We agree on this point, so drop it already - you're beating a dead horse.

zzontar wrote:so with no signal, your guess is as good as mine where they're going. If people signal left when entering

No signal required if they're entering. If they're there, you must yield to them. That's how it works, period. Blinking a left-turn signal to indicate that you are going to enter the roundabout is a complete and utter waste of proton energy. (much like this discussion seems to be.....)

zzontar wrote:and right when exiting except for the first exit where you just signal right, then there's no confusion as to where they're going.

And we all seem to agree on this. Your re-statement of the obvious seems to be a waste of something as well......

zzontar wrote:This is why if you signal before entering a circle

OMG - the internets just imploded from a universe-sized void of proton matter...... :ohmygod:

zzontar wrote:I guarantee you I have more experience than you with 2 lane circles, where it's even more important to signal prior to entering the circle.

Wow - you must be my neighbour or my aunt to know me so well. Oh wait - you're not and you don't. I've been through plenty of multi-lane roundabouts, thank you. If you know how to use them, they're wonderful. You obviously don't frequent the ones that I use, because I don't see the traffic slowing down signalling to enter.....
:nutzoid:
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

zzontar wrote:

zzontar wrote:

I wouldn't get too indigant if I were you zzontar since it's you who clearly has a problem articulating.

You read your posts again.

If you're worried about someone on your left as you approach then they aren't entering they're already in the circle and have the right of way and the only thing they are obligated to do is signal when they wish to exit. They could go round and round all day and not have to signal unless they turn right to leave.

You kept presenting it in your earlier posts as though two of you are entering at about the same time in which case you can both go since you have enough space between you.

You yield to those already in the circle it's as simple as that.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

Wow, none of you would be able to see a left signal on the car entering the circle on your left? How about you go find one and see, then get back to me... if none of you can see it, please stay off the road. If you've ever driven in a two lane circle PROPERLY you'd know it's important to signal before entering... you're saying that by not signaling before entering, you're communicating that you will be going past the first exit, I say watch how many cars enter a circle and go out the first exit or any for that matter with no signal at all, so when I see you enter on my left with no signal, it tells me dick all as to where you're going, why you think that's better is beyond me.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

acockrell wrote:
Wow - you must be my neighbour or my aunt to know me so well. Oh wait - you're not and you don't. I've been through plenty of multi-lane roundabouts, thank you. If you know how to use them, they're wonderful. You obviously don't frequent the ones that I use, because I don't see the traffic slowing down signalling to enter.....

Wow, come to think of it, I see a lot of people turn at intersections without signaling, so that must be the way to do it! :200: That's why they're phasing out the circles in Edmonton, too many idiots that don't know how to signal properly in them.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

You may not have to use your left signal as you travel around the circle, but do you not think it is safer and just plain courteous to let the other drivers know what your intentions are!

Hell some of you people seem to think it will kill you to use a turn signal!
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

Bsuds wrote:You may not have to use your left signal as you travel around the circle, but do you not think it is safer and just plain courteous to let the other drivers know what your intentions are!

Hell some of you people seem to think it will kill you to use a turn signal!

Exactly! It's as if they'd have to stop and rest afterwards from all that extra work.

Return to “Central Okanagan”