Roundabout Driving Instructions

LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Roundabout Driving Instructions

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

My guess is you are so important and in demand that being held up a second or two as you yield to traffic is just too much for you to handle.

Do the normal folks a favor and use public transit. Give the soap box a rest!
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

Done! wrote:My guess is you are so important and in demand that being held up a second or two as you yield to traffic is just too much for you to handle.

In case you haven't noticed, this thread is about discussing roundabouts... I'm saying it's better to signal your intentions to the other drivers instead of letting them guess where I'm going, you're saying it's better to keep the other drivers guessing where you're going... wow, I should take the bus because when I drive I communicate my intentions... you're normal you say? :dyinglaughing:
They say you can't believe everything they say.
acockrell

Post by acockrell »

Bsuds wrote:You may not have to use your left signal as you travel around the circle, but do you not think it is safer and just plain courteous to let the other drivers know what your intentions are!

Hell some of you people seem to think it will kill you to use a turn signal!

You must be one of those guys driving down the highway in the left lane with your left blinker on. Good to know you're signalling your intentions to drive in the left lane.

Obviously you and zzontar seem to be confused how to use roundabouts. Please, I implore you for the safety of all involved - avoid the roundabouts. You obviously do not know how to use them.

It's easy to determine what intentions are - if the person is in the roundabout, then they're in the roundabout. You yield to them, period. Yes, they should signal a right turn when exiting. If you're apt to notice a left turn signal light before noticing the 2000-pound hunk of steel that it's attached to occupying the roundabout at 30kph, then you need to get your eyes checked and probably shouldn't be on the roads.

No one here is disputing that one should signal upon leaving the roundabout - what seems to be confusing is entering one. It's simple - traffic in the roundabout - yield to them. No traffic in, it's safe to enter.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

zzontar wrote: I should take the bus because when I drive I communicate my intentions... you're normal you say? :dyinglaughing:

Yeah I am because I don't need to get in a *bleep*'n match about how to use a circle and I've got two million miles accident free that I can't for the life of me figure out how I accomplished without your precious insight.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

Like I said before, most people don't signal at all in a circle, so if you're entering a circle with no signal it tells me nothing... there's a few seconds between entering and being able to take the first or second exit where one could make a decision to enter if they knew ahead of time where that person was going, I just make it more obvious ahead of time where I'm going.

You guys sound like you're getting pretty upset that I would do or recommend such a horrible act to the point that I should take a bus or avoid roundabouts completely because I let people know where I'm going in advance! Maybe just let your road rage subside a bit and think on that one for a while...
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Road rage? Get over yourself dude.

Me thinks you have irritation confused with road rage.

You're the one that's been ranting for several pages about something that isn't even required by law and in an annoying condescending fashion I might add which does little to win you any converts.

So you successfully navigated a traffic circle in Edmonton. Yeah for you. Need a gold star?
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

Done! wrote:Road rage? Get over yourself dude.

You're the one that's been ranting for several pages about something that isn't even required by law and in an annoying condescending fashion I might add which does little to win you any converts.

So you successfully navigated a traffic circle in Edmonton. Yeah for you. Need a gold star?

So you never really gave an explanation, why are you SO against signaling in advance?
acockrell

Post by acockrell »

zzontar wrote:

So you never really gave an explanation, why are you SO against signaling in advance?

You're not suggesting signaling in advance - you're suggesting something that's akin to signaling left before turning right onto a one-way street.... and you're telling me that incorrect signaling doesn't add confusion to drivers around you?
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

You obviously don't get it.

Cheers
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

Done! wrote:
Sorry zzontar but do you read what you post?

I'm guessing you had issues figuring out the merging process on the old bridge as well.

Just amazes me how people like you have the ability to complicate something that for most is a no brainer.

Yeah I am because I don't need to get in a *bleep*'n match about how to use a circle and I've got two million miles accident free that I can't for the life of me figure out how I accomplished without your precious insight.

My guess is you are so important and in demand that being held up a second or two as you yield to traffic is just too much for you to handle.

Wasn't there talk earlier about glass houses?
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Wow figured out the quote option. Good on ya. :smt023

Now maybe you can work on accepting how *bleep* it is to expect people to use indicators three different times in about fifty feet of road whilst watching the plethora of crosswalks, students and motorized chairs using them, inept drivers, seemingly endless construction workers, and all this while steering through a tight circle on guard for the many that still don't know how to use it.

I have absolutely nothing against safety in fact I'm all for it thus toward that end I choose to pay attention to the surroundings there rather than the needless use of indicator signals which others don't really have the time to interpret anyway.

Were I to follow your advice I'd travel down Bottom Wood Lake Rd. then as I pass the library signal right to turn into the circle (which right there could easily be interpreted by some as meaning I'm heading up Berry Rd. before I even get a chance to switch to the left indicator) then immediately switch the indicator to left just in case you are trying to enter from Berry Rd., and then immediately switch to right again to go up to IGA.

That's seriously only about fifty feet of road and unless I back off to 5kph you wouldn't even have enough time to register what my indicator lights mean before I'd change them again.

For some reason you just don't care to acknowledge that that is complicating matters needlessly and more importantly is an unnecessary distraction to the vehicle operator.

The safest approach in my opinion is "keep it simple" and applies more so in this circle than any others due to it's location and the incorporation of so many crosswalks into it that are used fairly heavily.

I'm far more concerned about keeping pedestrians safe than I am whether you get into the circle as quickly as you want to or not.

You clearly also put much more faith in those indicator signals than I do.

I focus on the vehicle and its path not the indicator signals given how many times I've been burnt assuming they were in fact turning only to find out they aren't.

I find them useful when following a vehicle and unreliable when facing one and that thinking has saved me on numerous occasions so I'm not likely to rethink that any time soon.

If that doesn't conform to your view of driving that's simply too bad.

What it does not do is make you right and others wrong simply because you prefer it.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

Besides the first exit, signal left in, signal right out... I'm sorry you find this so confusing and such a challenge.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

zzontar wrote:Besides the first exit, signal left in, signal right out... I'm sorry you find this so confusing and such a challenge.

:ohmygod:
I'm sorry you're obviously logic challenged.

If it's any help for most it's been agreed that when it comes to using indicators it works best if the indicator matches the direction you are turning your steering wheel.
acockrell

Post by acockrell »

zzontar wrote:You obviously don't get it.

Cheers

In the category of people who don't get the obvious, I think it's you that's taken the award. You've chosen to ignore logic, reason, published direction from ICBC, and the law.

May you live in interesting times.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

acockrell wrote:
zzontar wrote:You obviously don't get it.

Cheers

In the category of people who don't get the obvious, I think it's you that's taken the award. You've chosen to ignore logic, reason, published direction from ICBC, and the law.

May you live in interesting times.

You're right neither ICBC or the law says you have to signal left into a circle, it's just safer to signal your intentions than let people guess where you're going... hey, didn't I say that before many times and you didn't get in then either?

Here's another scenario: You're coming up to an uncontrolled T intersection from the bottom of the T and you're going to turn left. At the same time as you approach the intersection there is a car approaching from your left who is going straight through from left to right at the top of the T. Even though ICBC and the law say you have the right of way over the guy going straight, it's not as safe... get it? Of course I must be ignoring reason and logic there too, because ICBC and the law says so.

My logic is signal your intent before entering. Reason... so other drivers know where you're going.
Your logic is don't signal your intentions before entering. Reason... you don't HAVE to.

I'm happy with my logic and reasoning, obviously you're happy with yours, so not too much point in discussing this further.

Return to “Central Okanagan”