Spion Kop Regional Park

Wednezday

Spion Kop Regional Park

Post by Wednezday »

Did anyone attend the meeting at the Beasley Clubhouse last month regarding the proposed Spion Kop Regional Park? I just wondered what the general concensus was regarding the proposal.
FYI : There is another open house scheduled for December 14th 4 to 7 pm at the same place.
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Spion Kop Regional Park

Post by Gone_Fishin »

Well, there are 3500 people represented by Region 8 of the BC Wildlife Federation who are opposed to it, and 1700 people represented by Access British Columbia who are also opposed to it. How's that for starters?

The RDCO is charging ahead with these regional parks, taking Crown land from its traditional uses with absolutely no regard for those uses, and attempting to meet the political whims of RDCO and OBWB board members. James Baker's house is just below Spion Kop - gee, does he have a problem with the sound of dirt bikers? :127:

The public is getting nothing more than requisite lip service from the RDCO, as they are required to do when applying for a Crown land disposition from ILMB. They really don't give a rat's putoot what people think.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

The biggest weapon in the RDCO arsenal is to turn all Crown lands into Regional Parks so as to win their war against all us big bad off-road enthusiasts! Hopefully it is not just paranoia, but,they sure seem to have many layers of hidden agenda's. That doesn't sit well with me. In any of the dealings I have had with them they use avoidance tactics, and present a holier than thou air about themselves. Dissmissing any one elses ideas or points of view that does'nt come through a high priced lawyer or comission. so much for any one person, standing alone, to make a difference... Thanks for the info on the next go-round of meetings concerning yet another attempt to close back country use to nothing but foot traffic!! Oh, unless you work for the RDCO or other Gov't agency, then by all means, go ahead and use a truck, quad, or trail bike to gain access and roam freely!! Rant over Thanks
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Wednezday

Post by Wednezday »

Do you think it is futile, then, to try and get people out to this open house that would support Atving and dirtbiking?
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Only if I'm standing/speaking alone. I am a non-club member, nor do I want to be. That doesn't change the fact that there is strength in numbers... Thanks
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Wednezday wrote:Do you think it is futile, then, to try and get people out to this open house that would support Atving and dirtbiking?

I say get all your ATV and dirtbiker friends to go to the open house, and express their displeasure at what is happening. The arrogance of the RDCO and OBWB directors is well known, but the ILMB folks are more number-oriented and have to look at all input to the process. Don't let the Birkenstock hippies shut you out of an area that you've been enjoying for over 40 years! Also, write to Norm Letnick - he has to represent your concerns.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
lovin' life

Post by lovin' life »

Better yet, join one of the local groups that supports and lobbies for ATV, dirtbike, or snowmobile areas. The Kelowna Snowmobile Club is out there, as is the Quad Riders Association of BC, and the Okanagan Trail Riders. These areas that need to be protected for the enthusiasts of the sports are taken away by apathy on the part of the riders. SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL CLUBS! They're the ones lobbying your local and provincial governments on your behalf, but it takes time and $$!!
"If you know, to recognize that you know, If you don't know, to realize that you don't know: That is knowledge." Confucius
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

lovin' life wrote:Better yet, join one of the local groups that supports and lobbies for ATV, dirtbike, or snowmobile areas. The Kelowna Snowmobile Club is out there, as is the Quad Riders Association of BC, and the Okanagan Trail Riders. These areas that need to be protected for the enthusiasts of the sports are taken away by apathy on the part of the riders. SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL CLUBS! They're the ones lobbying your local and provincial governments on your behalf, but it takes time and $$!!

Don't forget the Oceola Fish and Game Club. From what I understand, they are against losing access to Spion Kop and McCulloch Lake as well, and have been very active in trying to keep them open to ALL users.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
chrisrz

Post by chrisrz »

The fact that this area provides a healthy option to the typical "Mall Kid" lifestyle seems lost on these people. Although I have nothing against "hikers", I don't typically see teenagers piling out of their cars with "ski pole" walking sticks for a jaunt up the mountain. It's not simply about losing riding areas, it's about taking away some of the more constructive choices available to our kids.

Fancy up the Library doesn't mean that your average 16yr old will snuggle up with a good book, but if you take away their riding grounds, you can bet that you won't like their recreational options.

These people with cracked crystal ball vision are the same ones grumbling about the "youth" of today. They complain when the kids are hanging around the 7-11 yet do everything they can to limit the options available to them. You can't have it both ways "Granola Munchers".

Build your organic gardens, substitute tofu whenever possible, and work on communicating more effectively with whales... just please stop messing with the rest of us who simply work hard, pay way to much taxes, and take it on the chin from people like you "way" too often.
motorhomebabe
Lord of the Board

Post by motorhomebabe »

Where is this park,and how will it restrict usage if put in place ?Seriously interested as spent a lot of time camping in the Doreen Lake area
Wednezday

Post by Wednezday »

Here is the address from the District of Lake Country website regarding Spion Kop: http://www.lakecountry.bc.ca/siteengine ... ?NewsID=72.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

motorhomebabe wrote:Where is this park,and how will it restrict usage if put in place ?Seriously interested as spent a lot of time camping in the Doreen Lake area
It's very simple. It is illegal to operate motorized off-road vehicles in a Regional Park unless you are a gov't employee and in the course of your duties. ie: riding around with a taxpayer sponsored ride, just to make sure that no one is "breakin' the law" in the " no-fun zone" !!! Thanks
motorhomebabe
Lord of the Board

Post by motorhomebabe »

Thanks for the link . Have known for years that government doesnt want Joe public in the bush , sans ditched logging roads .What a load of crap.
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

I want to know a few things I can't find answers to on this topic:

1.) Where has the F gone in Spion Kopf?
2.) Was this property not privately owned for the many years offroad enthusiasts abused it? ( I was one of those who abused it. )
3.) What right do offroaders have now to lay claim to that land as their own riding territory?
4.) Have any local riding groups made any efforts to purchase said lands for their specific use?

I see (once again) a whole lot of tears and whines from the local land abusers about losing their trails and where are we supposed to ride and terrorize hikers and spook horses now? What I don't see is any justification. Not one bit.

Aside from the overused and often abused word 'entitlement', what other grounds have you 'supporters' got to toss on the table?

anything? :smt102
Wednezday

Post by Wednezday »

As far back as I can remember it has always been referred to as "Spion Kop" (no "f"). I'm not sure of previous ownership before it became crown land. I know that at one time the MacDonnell's owned a large parcel in that area. I don't think it's about anyone laying claim to the area so much as ensuring that Atv's and dirtbikes still be allowed to use the area. Should any outdoor enthusiast have to purchase" the land they want to enjoy?

This is a great area to Atv, dirtbike, horseback ride, hunt and hike. It should remain open to all. I happen to enjoy Atving and hiking. In all the years that I have been hiking up on Spion Kop, I have never had an incident with an Atv or a dirtbike. They have always passed by respectfully and I haven't seen any drunken or disorderly conduct. On the other hand when I am on my Atv, I slow down and wave at hikers only to be sneered at like I don't belong there.

All I want to see is open use to all groups, without dirtbikes and Atv's being banished from the park. There are too many people in this valley that want to shut down and put a stop to any fun activity they don't care for. I say we need to provide activities and areas for all, whether you care for it or not. To generalize that "all" dirtbikers and Atv'ers are destructive and bad people is false and only stated by people who don't know anything about the sport.

Have an open mind!

Return to “Central Okanagan”